Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times

Advertisements

i have zoysia and it definitely uses less water, I would not go back to St Augustine! Right now, I am also watering mainly to save my trees and to maintain my soil, I would love a gray water system that would send my shower water and sink water to the lawn!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Now, getting back to the topic, which was St. Augustine grass and water consumption, I have noticed that there are developments that require grass lawns, and not of the native varieties. This sort of old fashioned thinking needs to be reversed. People should be encouraged and rewarded for putting in low water consuming/native landscaping. I think that is the way to go right now.

I do agree that we need to, as a country, start to look at overpopulation and its solutions, but that is so long term.... Changing attitudes about the big grass lawn and encouraging a culture of conservation and use of native plants is much more immediate and doable. After all, Texas has a long tradition of water saving. I always point to Texas as having many beautiful old water tanks. I love that about Texas; the traditional culture knew how to live within its means.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Now, getting back to the topic, which was St. Augustine grass and water consumption, I have noticed that there are developments that require grass lawns, and not of the native varieties. This sort of old fashioned thinking needs to be reversed. People should be encouraged and rewarded for putting in low water consuming/native landscaping. I think that is the way to go right now.

I do agree that we need to, as a country, start to look at overpopulation and its solutions, but that is so long term.... Changing attitudes about the big grass lawn and encouraging a culture of conservation and use of native plants is much more immediate and doable. After all, Texas has a long tradition of water saving. I always point to Texas as having many beautiful old water tanks. I love that about Texas; the traditional culture knew how to live within its means.
How about what metro Phoenix does?

Water in the Desert - Phoenix water supply

Plus an interesting article re national water use..

Water Use in the United States

Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I've have family members killed in each of those. :-(
I don't know if I have had relatives killed in the inquisition but I did have one killed in WWII. His plane was shot down over England. His sister helps me with genealogy research.

I have no love for St. Augustine grass. We have had drought tolerant grass in Denver and here as well. Actually, thankfully, our HOA strongly recommends that people xeriscape or use native plants/grasses.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:59 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
You would have to fight the HOA/industrial complex. They're almost as bad as the Yakuza.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
There are several elderly people in my neighborhood whose St A lawns are green and lush. I think they secretly turn on their sprinklers before dawn as there is no way they can be so green. It is hopefully a generational thing to have wide swaths of lawn. Our children will probably look back someday and say what were they thinking. Definitely time for change...

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Having St. Augustine in a place like Austin is absolutely STUPID! My house came with it so that's the only reason I have it. St. Augustine is a coastal grass that requires lots of water, so whoever decided to make it the standard in a semi-desert region that is hot and dry for much of the year needs to be shot. Bermuda and Zoysia are much better choices if you're going to have a lawn. Xeriscaping is even better.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Never (knowingly) walked on a zoysia yard until a couple of weeks ago. It is so superior looking and better feeling under barefoot to St. Augustine. I may end up resodding my front yard next year and that'll be the way I go if it can handle shade through mid day and intense sun in the afternoons.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM

205 posts, read 617,498 times
Smile Red mulch :d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
You know, I could actually see the city, county, or state gov't providing incentive to people to replace their grass with more drought resistant kinds. Kind of like they provide the programmable thermostats and rebates for energy efficient appliances.
Do you think they might offer an incentive for replacing grass altogether?Here's a photo our our front yard - we don't use any water, except for our two trees and a couple of shrubs (hand water a couple of times a week): red mulch, costs a little more than the ordinary, but it sure looks great with our house colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time to outlaw St. Augustine grass?-frontyard-redmulch.jpg  

Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
St Augustine performs well on a shady site. If the OP is serious about outlawing it, I'm opposed, as suitability will vary from site to site. I can see that in newer developments with fewer and younger trees, another type of grass would be preferable. But, we're not all in the same situation wrt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin