Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:22 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times

Advertisements

It is illegal to not render aid in in accidents. SO when are we supposed to help or not? pretty sad. He should be commended for his help, he did it on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
I have the feeling this guy who lost his job will be getting a good job offer pretty soon - thanks to all the news coverage on the story.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:17 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I have the feeling this guy who lost his job will be getting a good job offer pretty soon - thanks to all the news coverage on the story.

I hope so. I won't ever shop at Randall's...period.

It really is a sad state of affairs.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I wonder what the policy is at HEB? We may be jumping to a conclusion that they would have acted differently.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM

I'll try to keep an open mind then. Maybe HEB and Walmart would do the same.

Having said that there have got to be some judges that do the right thing if a lawsuit should ever be brought forth in cases where people are trying to help others and get sued. The judge has the power, they need to start using it for the good.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
In the paper today I'm reading an article about an employee who just got fired because he chased a purse snatcher. This guy heard a woman call for help as someone just snatched her purse. He chased the person, caught him and then Randalls fired him. The guy was an employee of Randalls and the woman was shopping there.

It's enough reason for me never to step foot in a Randalls, that much I know.

He's a hero but yet he lost his job.

Shame on Randalls!

By the way the woman got her purse back with everything in it!!
This is (or at least should be) Unamerican. There is no excuse for a business pulling this on someone. Troy Schafer was a US Army veteran and trained to take action in this kind of situation. The purse snatcher was a 15 year old boy, not exactly the hardened criminal type that Randall's policy is designed to protect their employees from. I agree with having the policy - it's good business sense on Randall's part to have it on the books and encourage their employees to play it safe. But to then exercise that power and actually fire someone for stepping up when most people would probably look the other way - it's disgusting. I was so disgusted that I decided to start a Facebook group to protest Randall's action:

[URL="//www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107070879633"]Randall's Grocery is Unamerican | Facebook[/URL]

Please join and maybe we can put some collective pressure on Randall's.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I wonder what the policy is at HEB? We may be jumping to a conclusion that they would have acted differently.
I agree. I suspect that policies may be similar.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Did anyone even read the story that I linked to upthread about the good samaritan who pursued a wallet snatcher? Most of it was about how wonderful the guy was, and he was a professional boxer, but the bottom line is, even a professional boxer isn't a match for a gun, and he's now dead.

Potential litigation is one reason for such a policy, insurance requirements is another, but the potential for dead employees is probably right up there. For some reason, this trumps money in the rules that these companies have.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 AM

This isn't about another link. This is about Troy Schafer. He didn't die from gunshot. He is a good samaritan. I wish there were more people like him. Troy made a choice, (which many on this forum always tout as one of our last freedoms). He took responsibility, (another thing many swear by on this forum).

For him to lose his job for being a hero is despicable. Shame on Randalls or any other company for caring more about covering their own ass. I would not believe in a million years the policy is to protect the employee. I'm not that naive. The policy is to protect them from litigation.

And before you go off on me I'm not against companies. What I do stand against is the obvious. It's the old wrong from right argument.

If they need a clause in their policy then it should be one that says the employee helps people at their own risk.

This thread isn't about anything other than the man who helped someone and how he got stuck in the behind. Troy Schafer should NOT have been fired. It was his choice and he took responsibility for his actions.

Shame on Randalls or any other company with this policy.

I also understand not everyone can be the hero...we're not all cut out that way. However, if we don't have any hero's and we're all just bystanders then certainly we're off to hell in a handbasket.

This issue is about Troy. I can only imagine if someone like him comes to this forum because he's unemployed and wants to move here he would be jumped on without mercy for being a bum with no plan.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM

29 posts, read 111,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Stop venturing outside of DVDTalk, it creeps me out.

Anyway, I completely understand the company policy on this, but there has got to be some leeway on it. For one thing, it's a great policy if it's theft from the store. Who cares, right it off, blah blah blah. Theft of a customer's personal property should be one of those gray areas, however. Officially frowned on, the employee gets counseled, and the matter is forgotten about.

Secondly, if for no other reason, how did they NOT see the PR nightmare that was about to come down on them? That alone should have made them think twice about axing the poor guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin