Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 12,121 times

Advertisements

I was in in Austin and ROund ROck / Leander area this past few days and what a lovely city. Only gripe the road system 0- any easy pointers on understanding the road system? Maps or tools to figure out the highways and byways and names of these byways ?

Thanks - TOm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 PM

110 posts, read 590,644 times
get a map and memorize it GPS helps a bit too, but don't totally rely on it because the roads are constantly changing around here.

I've been here for about 3 weeks and I feel like I am almost getting it down.
They make no sense, have a number (sometimes more than 1) and then also have at least 500 different names for the same road....... and they don't just run n-s, e-w except for I-35. It's completely overwhelming for a while and then you just get used to it.

And what's with the l-r street lights and why are so many of them on timers instead of weights?????? craziness!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
I agree with Jenny - I spent a lot of time studying maps, taking 1 new road I hadnt' been on every weekend, and then we got a GPS.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 23,628 times
Smile Roads...it will keep you challenged!

I used to live in Austin and the roads were the most confusing part...but once you get past that little detail, it's a great place to be!

In the past, there were two main north-south major roads...I-35 and Loop 1, or "Mopac". Mopac is on the west side of Austin, named for the Missouri Pacific railroad that runs down the middle of it. I-35 is on the east side. Interestingly enough...Google maps actually had a different name for I-35 until recently. I see it's now updated.

Here's a good tip for navigating Austin...if it's a numbered street, like "45th St." or "4th St.," it most likely intersects BOTH I-35 and Mopac. So if you get lost, find a numbered street and go east or west.

One of the most confusing things for me was Highway 290. US 290 comes in from the west on the SOUTH side of town, then "dog-legs" up I-35, and leaves Austin on the NORTH side of town.

And there are many roads that change names...coming in from Lake Travis is FM 2222, that turns into Koenig Lane; Bee Caves is FM 2244; Cesar Chavez is 1st Street. It takes awhile, but you get used to it.

Anyway, living in Austin is well worth the road hassle!
: )
Kat

Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
And just a fun fact (which is pretty much useless for newcomers) is that the N/S streets in the downtown area are named after the rivers in Texas....in geographic order. So the Red river is the first street running parallel to I-35 and Rio Grande is the furthest 'river' street running parallel to I-35. All the other streets are in between in the order they would appear on a map. So if you know where the Brazos, Colorado, and Guadalupe are relative to each other, it helps a lot...if you don't..... .

Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
When we visited last year, it look a couple of days to "get" it. After we realized what was up, we had a good time navigating. If you pay attention to the exit numbers instead of names, it's easy to keep from missing any exits. And those roads on the side of the freeways? Wow! They beat surface streets that we have here in So. Calif. if you ask me. They're cool.

Of course, So. Calif. towns may have developed similarly to Austin. You had isolated towns and then eventually they grew together and the streets kept going only they changed names depending on what city you happened to be in. It might be confusing, but as you get familiar with the area it can be helpful because you can pinpoint what part of town you happen to be in.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:46 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
Garmin Nuvi 350..buy one.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:31 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
And just a fun fact (which is pretty much useless for newcomers) is that the N/S streets in the downtown area are named after the rivers in Texas....in geographic order. So the Red river is the first street running parallel to I-35 and Rio Grande is the furthest 'river' street running parallel to I-35. All the other streets are in between in the order they would appear on a map. So if you know where the Brazos, Colorado, and Guadalupe are relative to each other, it helps a lot...if you don't..... .
Ok, we were on all those streets, but now I have to learn my Texas geography...that's a neat little factoid! Thanks for posting!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 AM

580 posts, read 1,081,264 times
I think the most confusing part of the streets in Austin is that most of the major roads have several different names. In fact, some streets even have different names depending on how their pronounced! For example, when I was growing up, I remember hearing about this street called "Menchaca." I also heard of another road called "Manchack." Guess what? They're the same road! Texans and our pronunciation... XD

Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
I think the most confusing part of the streets in Austin is that most of the major roads have several different names. In fact, some streets even have different names depending on how their pronounced! For example, when I was growing up, I remember hearing about this street called "Menchaca." I also heard of another road called "Manchack." Guess what? They're the same road! Texans and our pronunciation... XD
Yep, everything/nothing has changed in the three years since this thread was active .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin