Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,746 times

Advertisements

Hello, all -- My husband and I are in the initial stages of relocating to Austin. I have been reading this forum for quite some time and appreciate all the feedback from those who are regulars.

I also know there are real estate agents on here as well and I will be in town from August 5-9th looking for homes.

I went online because a friend there recommended a few agencies but both people I emailed have not responded at all and it's been a week. Argh...sense the frustration! 8)

Let me know the best way about setting up time with an agent because I don't know what area I want and what the price ranges are for the various areas in and around Austin.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I'd recommend that you go online and search for blogs for agents in the area - not just Austin, but hte surrounding areas - and see who you feel that you "click" with. That's a way of getting to know a few agents ahead of time. There are also several agents on here that are familiar with the Austin area as a whole, or specific parts of it. (You can tell because they'll mostly, if they go by the forum rules, have the real estate agent designation under their log-in name, and you can contact them privately via DM.)

You'll want one who you feel comfortable with (you'll be spending time together and, if you choose the agent as your buyer's agent, you'll be working together pretty closely) who doesn't zero in too closely on just one area, since you're here it seems not to buy a house that week but to figure out which area(s) you might be interested in and you don't want an area sold to you, you seem to want to know what your options are.

Once you've picked someone, email them or give them a call and make an appointment. If they don't respond quickly enough, move on to the next one on your list.

Good hunting! And welcome to Austin!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Thanks. That is what I am trying to do though unsucessful thus far. I will keep trying but thought it was worth the post to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Why is it not being successful? Are you letting them know your schedule and that you will definitely be in town? Or, I guess, first, have you managed to actually make direct contact with someone?

What are you looking for in a neighborhood/house/price range, and maybe we can help you sort it out a bit ahead of time where you're likely to want to look.

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Direct realtor recommendations, per se, cannot be posted on here, sorry

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
you should put in some main keyword search terms and see what sticks

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-29-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Right...I looked at the blogs then sent two messages to two different realtors (then followed up with a second email to both two days later) and no response.The hard part is that I need to see the different areas to see what is a good fit for our family. #1 of course is great schools. Then...it's do we want to give up a little sf to live closer to the city or do we want to live outside the city in Lake Travis for example. We would spend up to $400K for the right location/yard/place. A pool would be cool too but I know those are few and far between.I have looked on line at houses in the different areas people on here have recommended and have seen a few places that I really liked but I need to see them in person and also check out the neighborhood/schools.I appreciate your feedback. When in town I will have a car and a GPS so I could just go for it alone and start that way. I am sure there will be open houses on the weekend while I am there as well but was hoping to meet with an agent before the weekend to get a better understanding of where I should start.I will keep you posted on my progress. I went online and sent a few more mails so we shall see....8) Merci, merci!

Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 AM

97 posts, read 250,179 times
We are also looking to relocate to Austin - once our home sells in Ohio. I have found 2 realtors that have been very helpful in answering my many questions - both through emails and phone conversations. You can certainly use some of the internet sites, realtor.com Moderator cut: realtor web site are 2 of my favorite, to narrow down your search, and then talk to a realtor and get their opinions of those areas and/or suggestions for your specific needs. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-30-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 AM

Thank you everyone!! I am well on my way!! I knew y'all would help!! Thanks much!!!!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,013 times
We are also going to relocate to Austin once our house sells in Southeast Texas and my husband gets a job over there. We have been looking in the Bee Cave and Lakeway areas. Very nice subdivisions and houses. Some have smaller yards but they may have a community pool. These pools that I have seen are very nice. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: