Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,239 times

Advertisements

Greetings good people of Austin!

My wife and I (and our 4 yr old) are considering moving to Austin from Los Angeles. We are the type who spend a lot of time researching before making such big decision. We've already spent countless hours compiling information about Austin. Furthermore, we've recently visited your fine city for 5 days just to see for ourselves.

However, we still have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help answer. We are looking for people who keep meticulous financial record to help out.

1) how much is the utility bill of a small family in a 2000 sqft single family residence? We know it gets really hot and somewhat cold. If you have an annual figure, all the better.

2) how much do you pay for property tax for a home valued at $200,000? I've heard anywhere from 2% to 3%. I'm hoping to get some actual figures on it.

3) what kind of insurance do you need for said $200K home? And how much are the premiums?

4) is there anything else we need to be concerned about coming from Los Angeles, from a financial standpoint? We are trying to live on just one income and want to avoid any unexpected expense.

Thank you for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM

24 posts, read 53,872 times
Here is a link to a great blog and should answer alot for your budget type questions.

Austin TX Cost of Living

Old 07-29-2009, 01:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
2300 sf one story house with two adults, modest sized yard. City of Austin, Travis County, AISD School Districts.

Utility bill from City of Austin includes Electric, Water, Wastewater, Solid Waste, Drainage/Street Service fees. Monthly bills range from a low of $179 to a high of $470. Total for last year $3,680. That high might be higher then normal due to some landscape sprinkler issues that I have been trying to get under control. My neighbor has a larger two story house and pays lower utilities, uses less electricity and water, I'm trying to learn how he does it.

Texas Gas allows us to pay a fixed amount each month based on past usage of $51.42. Or $617 Annual cost. This is for hot water, gas heat, 4 burner stove top.

2008 Property Taxes with homestead exemption on 1989 house: $3,404

Home Insurance State Farm: $1176 per year

Car Insurance 2 cars: $1,068 per year State Farm.

Another point if you are not aware of it, there is no state income tax.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-29-2009 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 01:58 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
All of your questions are going to have answers of "if depends on where you buy."

Taxes are different in every county, in every city, and in every utility district and school district. Ranges are anywhere from 1.6% in parts of Lake Pointe (Bee Cave area) to 2.67% in Steiner Ranch, and 2.88% in Dripping Springs... where do you wanna be?

Utility bills are also going to vary A LOT! Some are "forced" to use Austin Energy because of the utility district created, while others have the "power to choose" which you can google and see the different rates the different companies charge. There are no "averages", especially since a newer homes will probably have a lower bill than an older home just because of the way they're built now verse then.

Insurance will also depend on the age of the home because there are typically less problems with a new home, but average about .75% of purchase price. At $200k price, that's about $1500 a year.

Keep in mind that Texas does NOT have a state income tax. That means, you'll pay a little higher in property taxes than you will in CA, but you're going to see larger paychecks!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
All of your questions are going to have answers of "if depends on where you buy."

Taxes are different in every county, in every city, and in every utility district and school district. Ranges are anywhere from 1.6% in parts of Lake Pointe (Bee Cave area) to 2.67% in Steiner Ranch, and 2.88% in Dripping Springs... where do you wanna be?

Utility bills are also going to vary A LOT! Some are "forced" to use Austin Energy because of the utility district created, while others have the "power to choose" which you can google and see the different rates the different companies charge. There are no "averages", especially since a newer homes will probably have a lower bill than an older home just because of the way they're built now verse then.

Insurance will also depend on the age of the home because there are typically less problems with a new home, but average about .75% of purchase price. At $200k price, that's about $1500 a year.

Keep in mind that Texas does NOT have a state income tax. That means, you'll pay a little higher in property taxes than you will in CA, but you're going to see larger paychecks!
thanks for the reply. I understand that a lot will depend on where I want to be. I was just hoping that people will post some data on where they are as to give me a general idea. If I have to pick a spot, I'd say north and/or west austin, along with the surrounding suburbs like round rock.

yes I do know about the lack of state income tax. I'm concerned about the potentially significant cost in property tax and utility bill. Thank you for the information you've already supplied.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:26 AM

55 posts, read 337,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadanana View Post

My wife and I (and our 4 yr old) are considering moving to Austin from Los Angeles. We are the type who spend a lot of time researching before making such big decision. We've already spent countless hours compiling information about Austin. Furthermore, we've recently visited your fine city for 5 days just to see for ourselves.

However, we still have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help answer. We are looking for people who keep meticulous financial record to help out.

1) how much is the utility bill of a small family in a 2000 sqft single family residence? We know it gets really hot and somewhat cold. If you have an annual figure, all the better.

2) how much do you pay for property tax for a home valued at $200,000? I've heard anywhere from 2% to 3%. I'm hoping to get some actual figures on it.

3) what kind of insurance do you need for said $200K home? And how much are the premiums?

4) is there anything else we need to be concerned about coming from Los Angeles, from a financial standpoint? We are trying to live on just one income and want to avoid any unexpected expense.

Our family (wife and 5 years son) moved to Austin from Huntington Beach (OC) last year. We like it here.
Our bill for electric in summer is about $160/month for 2000 sqft home.
It is not that cold here, less $100/month to warm the house in winter.
Property tax range from 2.5%-3.2%
Insurance for our house $200K is less than $400/year

Hope this help

Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 AM

108 posts, read 254,432 times
1. Our Electricity bill is around $90 in the summer and $50 in the normal days. Our house is around 3200 sqft.

2. The property tax rate is around 2.3% in round rock and 2.5% in austin.

3.Insurance premium per year for a 3000 sqft house less than 10 years old is around $700.

4. No other concerns. Just throw your thick clothes away

Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadanana View Post

1) this summer it has been high at about $180 for 2800 sq ft, we keep it at 76-78. Average year round is probably around $100

2) Go with 3%, you get a homestead exemption (15K?)

3) We pay $900/year for insurance with a 5K deductible, 6K for hail on about 300K.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Quote:
1. Our Electricity bill is around $90 in the summer and $50 in the normal days. Our house is around 3200 sqft.
What sort of improvements did you make to hit $90 in your large home? I hit $200 in the summer on an older 1400 sq. ft. house (that lacks efficient windows among other things).

Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM

134 posts, read 491,082 times
I was just going to ask the same question. Our bill for that size house is around $300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin