Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times

Advertisements

I'm going to the Willie/Dylan concert at the ballpark in Round Rock Tuesday night. I've been to about a dozen games there since we moved to Austin 18 months ago, but have always just gone right from 35 to the park. Since I have the whole day off, I'd like to spend some time getting a feel for what Round Rock is really like, other than just Dell and the ballfield. I'll probably get there around noon and want to get a bite at a diner or greasy spoon, if they still have any. Then I'll want to just poke around any cool streets or shops - local coffee shops, bookstores, oddities, historical markers - you name it, I'd probably like to see it. So if there are any suggestions about how to spend 4 or 5 hours getting to know a little more about Round Rock, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Last edited by Paulmmm; 07-31-2009 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,600 times
There are a couple of coffee shops in downtown RR. I like Star Co. myself. It's relatively new. Most of the busineses there are. In the 3 years I have lived there I've seen quite a few open and then close. Quinns is new but it is pretty busy on Thurs - Sat. That's the only time it's open. I like Juniors Bar and Grill. They are open for lunch and have pretty good food. Downtown is pretty small. Not anything in the line of cool shops. There are some great antique houses though further down main street.

There is the outlet mall. But I feel if you have been to one mall you have been to them all. You could kill quite a few hours there just walking around.

Then there is the "Round Rock" on Chilsom Trail Rd off of 620 (a.k.a. Round Rock Ave). I really can't think of anything else, maybe someone else will pop in.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
You might want to drop by Louisiana Longhorn in downtown Round Rock for lunch (one of my two favorite restaurants), then check out the area. Then you could go to Half Price Books (further south from downtown on Mays), and check out the Antique Mall in the same shopping center. You could also check out Old Settlers Park (right by the Dell Diamond - or, well, actually, Dell Diamond is right by Old Settlers Park, which was there way before).

You could check out Sam Bass' grave.

If you're an IKEA groupie, there's an IKEA at 1431 and IH35.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
bring a bathing suit and go to the water park.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Kawaii Shaved Ice on Mays is a good place to go to for a cool snack after lunch. It's definitely one of the best shaved ice places that I've ever been to.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
all good suggestions You could also try a burger at Red Wagon. I haven't been there in a while personally, but they were really good. You could also peruse the library while you're there. I like to drive around and look at some of the houses near downtown. There's a nice dog park nearby as well. I know you won't have a dog with you but you could look and check it out just for kicks. Between toodling around downtown and doing whatever at old settler's park, you could easily kill 4-5 hrs.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I found this link roundrocktexas.gov (it's the city of round rock site). On the left of the page are a list of links. Find "Planning". Under that find "historic preservation" and then "designated historic landmarks".

There is a good list of things there. Homes, memorial sites, cemeteries, Sam Bass related places, etc...

Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Now a really dumb follow-up question that I probably should have led off with: Where is downtown Round Rock? How do I get there? Like I said, I just always take the exit off 35 for the ballpark and have no idea where any other part of RR even is or how you'd get to it.

Thanks again! I'll definitely be using some of your ideas, especially checking in on the Sam Bass history - I love that type of stuff!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Take the 620 exit and head east. Just stay on that road, and you'll get there in a few blocks. Just past Mays.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Take the 620 exit and head east. Just stay on that road, and you'll get there in a few blocks. Just past Mays.
That is exit 252 and then head east (Main Street / 620). You will see the signs.

If you want some really good BBQ, take the same exit but head west, towards the hospital and just a mile or so in that direction, to your right will be a little red building, that is Johnny T's BBQ, the BEST bbq around by far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin