Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 PM

194 posts, read 440,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I see where you're coming from and I didn't mean what I said to come across accusatory, just a little light ribbing.
No problem. I'm not offended or anything. I just wanted to explain my position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
People suck everywhere. We were at Zilker Park yesterday and my wife asked a lady what time it was, she looked at her watch, looked up, turned and walked away. BEYOTCH.

I was walking my dog at Zilker and this old man on a bike saw me start walking to the left.. I saw him and was mindful of him and my dog. He didn't think so and completely flipped out. Stated yelling that I was an idiot and yelled, 'F***ing dogs' over and over, and a few other things I couldn't make out with his accent.

I do my best to respect my elders, but only when the deserve it. I let him know exactly where he could shove his bike and his bad attitude.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Actually I believe I read that in the statesman a year or so ago. It is surprising but true apparently.

Edit: in this report Austin ranks 51 out of 100 cities, so that puts makes it pretty average. In Texas only Dallas was listed as more charitable, and 7 other Texas cities were listed as less charitable.

How Charitable Is Your City?

It could be that charity drives in the past emphasized that numerous cities were more charitable, as a way of twisting arms to give more.

Apparantly the ways that organizations rank cities as charitable varies significantly as these various articles report significantly different findings.

Houston scores well in survey of charitable cities | Shannon Buggs | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Charity Navigator - Report: Dallas least charitable among large cities <-- this organization apparently only looks at who it considers to be the top 30 cities, Austin is not listed.
Perhaps if they were taxed less, people would donate more.
City budget plan raises taxes, spares public safety (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/07/23/0723citybudget.html - broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM

205 posts, read 617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Perhaps if they were taxed less, people would donate more.
City budget plan raises taxes, spares public safety (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/07/23/0723citybudget.html - broken link)
I'm sure you mean that in jest, but actually, it's been a long known fact that it is not the more wealthy who are generous! Therefore, the more disposable money one has doesn't necessarily correlate to that person opening up the wallet! quite the reverse.

Think about this:
1. If you were to go into a first homebuyer neighborhood or low income neighborhood - what are the chances that they know their neighbors and lend a hand (an example of open generosity/charity given often without being asked)?

2. If you live in an affluent neighborhood - honestly, how many of your neighbors open the door and make a donation to the people who are raising funds for various good causes?

3. I know this is a college town - some of the most generous people are the poor students (I've had two sons go to college here), they work minimum pay jobs but I have seen them give a dollar or two to worthy causes. They don't say no the taxes are too high! It still amazes me how much students are overcharged for basic living - even the nearest grocery store prices are higher than out in the suburbs where people with more disposable income live.

Just something to think about. Per capita, it probably is averaged across how many people live here and the average income compared with the actual donations given. Austinites aren't generous as a whole, but there are always exceptions.

Here's a link which indeed suggests that the poorest are the most generous. Something to ponder: How far removed from humanity does one become, the more one strives for individual success?

America's poor are its most generous givers | McClatchy

Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Wonder if tithing to churches is considered a charitable donation? That could explain why Austin doesnt rank very high. I know it has a lot of generosity(maybe less now than in the past)towards the homeless, etc.
If they counted sympathy tips to musicians Austin might rank pretty high.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Wonder if tithing to churches is considered a charitable donation? That could explain why Austin doesnt rank very high. I know it has a lot of generosity(maybe less now than in the past)towards the homeless, etc.
+1

Sympathy tips.... LOL

Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Think about this:
1. If you were to go into a first homebuyer neighborhood or low income neighborhood - what are the chances that they know their neighbors and lend a hand (an example of open generosity/charity given often without being asked)?
What are the chances you'd be assaulted in each of those neighborhoods?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:16 PM

205 posts, read 617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Good point. When I did a quick search, statistics were based on "declared donations" for tax returns; although there are stats for annual appeals. I can understand why there has been a move away from door to door collections to the internet. However, as always you have to be sure it is a genuine official website, not lining someone else's personal pocket. There are fagans out on the internet too.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:51 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
I think this is something kids did in the past. People are too busy today to stop. I don't even know if the people that sell ozarka water at the intersections make any money. People just aren't trustworthy and don't have the time anymore. It's unfortunate. Probably would be better for them to set up outside of a school game or something!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
[quote=Schnaiy;10222623]I'm sure you mean that in jest, but actually, it's been a long known fact that it is not the more wealthy who are generous! Therefore, the more disposable money one has doesn't necessarily correlate to that person opening up the wallet! quite the reverse.

QUOTE]

Actually, I wasn't joking! Lower taxes would allow more people, especially poorer people, more disposable income with which to give.

Here's an interesting website full of charity statistics.

National Center for Charitable Statistics Table Wizards - Charitable Giving

It shows that in 2006, charitable giving, as reported on tax returns was, by %:

$200,00+: 40%
$200-100,000: 26%
$75-100,00:13%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin