Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:50 PM

110 posts, read 590,644 times

Advertisements

now that I think on it, if I remember correctly from talking with the sales rep at a neighborhood in Kyle, the Hays ISD does something like what Neddy is talking about it (I think )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Why do you want your kid to learn Spanish?

Old 04-26-2007, 07:29 AM

29 posts, read 78,320 times
Why wouldn't I want him to learn spanish? Mainly it is because I am half mexican and so is he. I grew up in a predominantly english speaking home and I wish that I could give him the opportunity of learning spanish from me but I can't because I'm not fluent. And now that I'm older - I realize the importance of learning a second language like spanish. It hurts me that I can't speak it very well especially when you have friends/family and random people assume you can speak it just because you are Latin. Plus the opportunities out there for bilingual speaking people are endless. It's important that he learn a second or better a third language.

I've read into the Austin International School where they teach in Spanish, French and English. It sounds like a great school although it's private and the tuition is pretty costly. But then when I think about it - I realize that I am investing in his future which is the most important thing to me.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Sanchez Elementary used to teach Spanish...a former employee went there...no idea if that school still does or if that school is still open though.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:03 AM

100 posts, read 381,857 times
Default Teaching Spanish in Elementary Schools

We looked at a private school, St. Theresa's, in Austin for our kids. They teach Spanish several times a week, beginning in kindergarten. I think it is great; they are at the most advantageous age to learn a second language, and if you end up working in an area such as healthcare, knowing some Spanish is invaluable -- it sure has made my job easier, which translates into patients who heal faster because they can understand what it is that they need to do to get better. I didn't realize that the public schools did not offer it -- too bad!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:55 AM
jak

12 posts, read 45,036 times
We are in the Leander ISD and our kids have Spanish once per week, starting in Kindergarten. The session is typically taught by a parent volunter. Obviously, your child won't become fluent from a 1/week class so for more than that you can do private/group lessons which are pretty easy to find. Or an Spanish immersion summer camp. Otherwise some of the private schools offer more in-depth classes.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
bwt

1 posts, read 3,730 times
You should consider Spicewood Elementary in the Round Rock school district.

They have incoprorated the IB program for primary school and chose to teach Spanish to all grade levels. Spicewood and the schools it feeds (Canyon Vista Middle, and Westwood Highschool) are highly rated and have a great reputation. They are also in a great area of NW Austin.

http://schools.roundrockisd.org/spicewood/

http://209.184.141.5/Spicewood//Why_Does_Spicewood_teach_a_Foreign_Language.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,438 times
Default Elem. Spanish

Joe Dan Mills Elem. in SW Austin is an excellent school and offers a good Spanish program. Nan Clayton Elem. in SW Austin plans to offer Spanish next year as well. Both programs are funded by parents' voluntary tuition payments.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:32 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Looking for an elementary school that teaches Spanish... so far I'm seeing that Mills in the SW and Spicewood in the NW. Are they the only 2 public schools?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Our granddaughter loves Young People's Workshop and is learning rapidly.

Young Peoples Workshops - YPW -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin