Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM

108 posts, read 254,432 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house and the yard is bald. It looks really "bald".

Can any body give us some ideas?

Where can we find young fruit trees or oak trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:36 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica.ee View Post

Ive never been there myself, but the natural gardener is supposed to be really good.

Otherwise we have bought oak trees at home depot that have been fine.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM

102 posts, read 301,830 times
How tall are the trees that you are looking for?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
I love trees and have planted lots of them here in Texas and am glad to see other people doing it here also. I can't understand having a house with almost no trees or shade around it here as hot as the summers are. I tend to like trees that provide good shade in summer and don't make much of a mess in the fall. I planted some really nice Red Oak trees at our first house, which provide wonderful shade now, but they are a big mess and a lot of work to clean up all the leaves they drop every fall.

In most instances I was planting trees for shade in Summer but also wanted the sun in Winter. I also wanted them established fairly quickly, so slow growing oak trees were not a good choice, plus the oak leaves are very sturdy and tough, don't biodegrade quickly and so they are a lot of trouble to clean up every fall.

The following trees are nice shade trees that do not make a big mess in the fall. The leaves are small or thin, not much work to clean up and biodegrade quickly.

Chinese Pistach - good shade trees, this is one of the species that the City was giving way a few years ago to encourage people to plant more trees in their yards. I have planted three now and am very happy with the results. Great shade trees that grow relatively quickly.

Texas Persimmon - a smaller, slow growing shade tree with very pretty smooth silver barked trunks. Slow growing but very attractive silver trunks.

Crepe Myrtles are another small tree that will grow tall enough to provide good shade around the house if you water and fertilize them, and they make very little mess in the fall.

City of Austin provides some good plant guides here. City of Austin - City of Austin - Grow Green

I have always bought my trees at any of the local plant stores. I'd probably go check the Natural Gardener if you are in Southwest Austin. http://www.naturalgardeneraustin.com/

Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
I would not bother planting trees however till the drought is over.I know its hard to wait if you planted now you have a good chance of losing them.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
I'm still searching for a Pomegranate tree... Has anyone seen one

Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Looking for the odd ones you might try Hill Country Water Gardens up here on 183 in Leander. They are a great place to go to...

Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica.ee View Post

August is not a good time to plant trees.
Plant in the winter when their roots have time to grow and their leaves are dormant.

Fruit trees start showing up at garden centers around Feb or so, maybe even as early as January.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM

134 posts, read 491,082 times
We love Round Rock Gardens and Countrywide Nursery up here in Round Rock. The staff at Round Rock gardens are very helpful and very knowlegeable. Love that place. If you want a great tree that grows very fast and in any soil and takes sun and shade, I highly recommend the wax mrytle.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Wait a month or two and head over to Natural Gardener in SW Austin. They'll sell you what you need. Another option is Ted's Trees Home in S Austin. They're wonderful. Trees are a GREAT investment in your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin