Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 27,181 times

Advertisements

We're planning a relocation and have been considering Senna Hills. We like the look of the Taylor Woodrow homes being built there, but we're judging this based solely on pics on the Web. We haven't seen it in person yet, and are looking for more information, such as:

-- Is this a desirable community? Good opportunity for appreciation?
-- What is the look/feel of the area? Is it scenic? Hilly?
-- How long would the commute downtown be at peak hours?
-- How family friendly is the area? What vibe does the community have?
-- We're moving from New England and are hoping to find a community that would be friendly & welcoming since we'll need to establish new friends for ourselves and our young children (3 year old and 1 year old). Does Senna Hills seem like it could fit the bill?
-- What pros/cons should we evaluate?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 01:20 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meded View Post
We're planning a relocation and have been considering Senna Hills. We like the look of the Taylor Woodrow homes being built there, but we're judging this based solely on pics on the Web. We haven't seen it in person yet, and are looking for more information, such as:

-- We're moving from New England and are hoping to find a community that would be friendly & welcoming since we'll need to establish new friends for ourselves and our young children (3 year old and 1 year old). Does Senna Hills seem like it could fit the bill?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
This is a desirable area b/c of the schools. Eanes ISD is widely considered the best in town. The limits on appreciation might be surrounding developments. Lake Travis ISD area has a lot of construction going on and those schools are also very good.
Hilly area...nice hill country feel.
I would guess one hour during peak times. 25-30 minutes when there is no traffic.
It seems like a nice neighborhood but it is a bit bland. Someone we know is moving out b/c she feels there is no community feel there. She says there are a lot of transplants and they tend to keep to themselves. Most are there for the great schools.
I would check how you feel when you walk around/drive thru the neighborhood. It is a great school system and a nice part of town. If you are used to a more urban environment, Senna Hills may be a bit dull for you.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 PM

80 posts, read 353,655 times
Default Senna Hills

Meded,

We have recently moved from Portland, OR and have seriously considered
Senna Hills, we might end up buying there too. Here are some Pros and
Cons, that we came up with:

Pros:
1) Hill country views and rolling hills.
2) Eanes School District: The best in Austin with several blue ribbon schools.
3) Recent and new construction, nothing looks old or (up)dated.
4) One of the few subdivisions in EISD where you get more house for
the money.

Cons:
1) Longer commute to downtown, NW Austin, this can be a
serious issue with so much traffic in Austin.
2) More new homes being built in Senna hills, will definitely dilute
your investment value.
3) I did get the feeling that the houses were a little closer to each other
than other places I have looked at.

Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM

104 posts, read 449,779 times
It's extremely scenic and hilly. Great school district. It's close to the town of Bee Cave, where there's okay shopping. A galleria is being constructed there. The commute should be around 45 minutes at peak and around 25 minutes when it's not.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
I think the major high and low points have been covered, but one thing I've noticed about Senna Hills is that if you're looking for a larger lot or a flat lot with a nice view, they are hard to find over there. It seemed to me that a lot of the lots were very underwhelming (we are big lot people, though). The lots that had views were extremely sloped or the house was weirdly positioned on the lot, etc.

I think there are definitely some nice houses and lots in there but it takes some searching. I also was kind of turned off that all of their parks appear to be fenced and gated with a lock and key entrance. It just seems kind of exclusionary. I have a 2 and 4 year old and all for safety, but that is not overly neighborly, IMO.

Google Senna Hills HOA and you can view their HOA website and read their newsletters to get an idea of the types of activities they have going on in the community.

If you're not set on Eanes ISD, there are plenty of other communities with similar commutes, similar type of homes, in family friendly neighborhoods!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:14 PM

104 posts, read 449,779 times
Eanes is overrated.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 AM

110 posts, read 523,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othon View Post
Eanes is overrated.
Can you please elaborate?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionid View Post
Can you please elaborate?

He said it was a great school district two posts up...

Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,041 times
Default Just relocated to Senna Hills

[

We're a happy family just re-located to Senna Hills. We've just moved from Portland and find it a great community. Having lived in Germany, UK, Holland, Belgium, New Zealand and Portland I think we can considered having a worthwhile opinion.

Yes I think it's desired, I think as soon as the new homes have all sold (of which most of them have sold outside now so looking good) I think the area will increase significantly - it will be sought after, still reasonably priced for Eanes so demand realistically higher than demand.

Yes great views, not quite New Zealand but still better than most countries/habitats. I've been told that the land around us will not be further developed - privately owned - again few places left like this.

We tend to go downtown at weekends, evenings - it's not that far really and to be honest NOTHING like the traffic in Europe so no biggie

VERY family friendly - go to the pool and you can't fail to meet someone else moving in or been here for ages welcoming you and probably amidst planning the next social event.

Absoloutely children of all ages, great fenced parks for safety for that age group too.

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks![/quote]

Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM

80 posts, read 346,385 times
Senna Hills is a great neighborhood for families. Taylor Woodrow is building awesome homes out! You might find a lot in there on a slope with hill country views but with a premium. I actually almost bought a home there 3 years ago but realized how high the taxes were (cons). It is in a great school district. They have wonderful amenites (pool, playground, etc.) in there and that is a great place for you to meet your neighbors. Another place I considered in that school district is across the street Barton Creek West. Both neighborhoods are close to the schools, grocery, shopping (new Hill Country Galleria opening soon), etc.
The rush hour commute on Bee Caves Road by 360 is awful in the morning. I always add an extra 15 minutes if I have to go downtown during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin