Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
If you were going to check out the Governor's mansion, why not check out the Capitol Building instead?

Sept 3rd is First Thursday on South Congress! You should definitely check that out First Thursday * SoCoDistrict.com (http://www.socodistrict.com/1stthursday.html - broken link).

Also, just FYI... Saturday, September 5th is the opening home game for the Longhorns! Hotels may be hard to find, and bars and clubs may be extra full (but not as bad as SXSW). There will be acres of tailgaters around the campus area.
thanks i will check that out.

oh we booked in advance on hotwire and got the holiday inn town lake. i heard good things about that place. we wanted to stay at the austin motel, but the workers were beyond rude to my friend and i on the phone. they also lied about info on their website. (dont want to get into it lol).

any recommendations for things walking distance from the hotel if you are familar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:15 PM

151 posts, read 348,287 times
Default Elisabet Ney museum, swing dancing, international dancing

Elisabet Ney museum:
Welcome to the Elisabet Ney Museum

Thursday night swing dancing:
Austin Swing Syndicate - Thursday Night at the Fed

Saturday night international dancing:
Austin International Folk Dancers

Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
thanks i will check that out.

oh we booked in advance on hotwire and got the holiday inn town lake. i heard good things about that place. we wanted to stay at the austin motel, but the workers were beyond rude to my friend and i on the phone. they also lied about info on their website. (dont want to get into it lol).

any recommendations for things walking distance from the hotel if you are familar?
The Holiday Inn isn't really the best place to stay. It's east of downtown and right on I-35. Have you tried the Radisson? Walking from Holiday Inn to downtown is doable but not really great. Don't do it at night.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I agree about the Holiday Inn. It's not really downtown and is in a sketchy area. It's on the side of Town Lake that no one uses.

As has been mentioned, it's hot. Hottest and driest summer ever. So, yeah, you'll want to wear shorts. Jeans and 105 degree heat don't really mix.

And because of the severe draught, a tubing trip down the Guadalupe will be more like a hike since the river is so low right now. I strongly recommend tubing the Comal. It has a steady flow.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM

i cant change hotels. its already done. we are renting a car so we dont mind driving. the hotel also has a shuttle that takes people into downtown so that will be nice if we go out for the evening.

okay so the guadalupe is pointless now huh? we should do the comal?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Lustre Pearl is not far from the Holiday Inn (on Rainey Street)... supposed to be a pretty hip but laid back place, but I've never been.

Lustre Pearl Bar - Austin Texas

The Holiday Inn is on the very southeast tip of downtown, still on the west side of the highway though... probably not too sketchy to someone from LA. But you'll need to walk or drive a few blocks west to be in the part of downtown that has lots to do... you can also take the hike & bike trail, the hotel is right on that -- but it is the less used part of the trail, should be perfectly safe during the day but at night there won't be anyone there. At night, you should probably take a pedicab or something back. Just to be safe.

BTW the Holiday Inn is an exact clone of the same hotel in downtown San Diego... except ours is painted some southwestern colors now.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
i cant change hotels. its already done. we are renting a car so we dont mind driving. the hotel also has a shuttle that takes people into downtown so that will be nice if we go out for the evening.

okay so the guadalupe is pointless now huh? we should do the comal?
Yes, definitely the Comal. The Guadalupe is great when there is ground water flowing, but the Comal is spring fed and much better right now.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM

ok so we know on thursday to definitely do 1st thursday on south congress. what time does 1st thursday start? thats probably a really stupid question to ask.

we also would like to see bats that same day. is it better we take one of those bat cruise tours, or is there a free place where we could see bats?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
If you want to experience old Austin flavor. Consider a visit to the Broken Spoke honky tonk on South Lamar. Also I wouldnt worry about that Holiday Inn. I've heard its been recently totally remodelled.

Last edited by orbius; 08-16-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin