Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
His batteries run on crazy?
Oh yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 55,152 times
Hmm. So I guess this board isn't sponsored by the anti-defamation league afterall?

No, No, No, I'm back tonight. Apparently unlike many of you I actually enjoyed my weekend in lieu of wearing out the refresh key on my PC over 48 hrs - and don't all primitive, racist and homophobic conservatives use PC's and not Mac's? We're so predictable.

Those with meaningful reply's, thanks. I also thank those who provided unintentional comedic reply's regarding "stunted children," "xenophobia" and "Sean Hannity." It's a safe bet some of you are wearing those pseudo intellectual skinny eye glasses by Gucci. No, make that Prada.

Now I better go wash my stained wife beater before I look at homes in each of your neighborhoods. . .but only after the next Town Hall meeting.

-Tucker Carlson

Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
His batteries run on crazy?
That could go for Chris Matthews as well

Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,224 times
Quote:
No, No, No, I'm back tonight. Apparently unlike many of you I actually enjoyed my weekend in lieu of wearing out the refresh key on my PC over 48 hrs - and don't all primitive, racist and homophobic conservatives use PC's and not Mac's? We're so predictable.

Those with meaningful reply's, thanks. I also thank those who provided unintentional comedic reply's regarding "stunted children," "xenophobia" and "Sean Hannity." It's a safe bet some of you are wearing those pseudo intellectual skinny eye glasses by Gucci. No, make that Prada.

Now I better go wash my stained wife beater before I look at homes in each of your neighborhoods. . .but only after the next Town Hall meeting.
Oh the republican victim card. Boohoo, didnt take long to play that did it. You start out by insulting Austin as a whole, Peoples Republic, remember saying that? Back handedly insult gays, and anyone vaguely different from your 1950's fantasy of normalcy. And yet you're the victim here.

Really if you're going to be happy in Austin you have to ditch the baggage, loosen up, leave the political dogma at the city limits, adopt a live and let live attitude. If you cant do that you wont be happy in Austin and Austin wont be happy with you.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,448 times
Wow. We have way more posts from people saying they are liberal and wondering where they should live to be with like-minded people, to shield their children, to avoid the "real" Texas. The undercurrent of their posts sound extremely intolerant and arrogant. The most they get is a little hand-slap, an assurance that we're ALL "live and let live" here in Austin and maybe advice to stay out of western Williamson County.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM

786 posts, read 2,760,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Wow. We have way more posts from people saying they are liberal and wondering where they should live to be with like-minded people, to shield their children, to avoid the "real" Texas. The undercurrent of their posts sound extremely intolerant and arrogant. The most they get is a little hand-slap, an assurance that we're ALL "live and let live" here in Austin and maybe advice to stay out of western Williamson County.
Are you implying that there may be a double standard going on?

I think if everyone just adopted the live and let live attitude, and did not try to force their own values or lifestyles on other people, the world would be a much better place.

Of course that means that those with "extreme" lifestyles should not go around flaunting their lifestyles in a way that exceeds the bounds of good taste. And before anyone asks, good taste is defined by me. If you exceed the bounds of good taste, I reserve the right to lower my opinion of you and remove myself from your presence.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
You are right that when people have politely asked about liberal communities, they are not chastised for that, but receive appropriate answers. I have noticed that when conservatives politely ask the same questions, they also receive polite, helpful answers. However, I have noticed that when people ask for liberal or conservative areas and in doing so are insulting to those they don't agree with, or engage in name-calling, as the OP did, they do get negative feedback. The OP did not just ask for suggestions, but was negative, made generalized assumptions, and was rude. Hence, the different nature of the answers.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:25 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,130,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You are right that when people have politely asked about liberal communities....
How come when you agree with someone you see their post as polite? I'm not sure it was polite for the OP to say I'm a "radical" because I am not a Christian to conservative and that my value system somehow "erodes" the countries value system.

I do agree there is vitriol on both sides, and both sides of this see what they want to and are capable of demonizing those who disagree.

HOWEVER, I'll always come down on the side that supports tolerance of differences (again, people who are wholly intolerant are not a minority group), doesn't try to prescribe my life style to others (I don't pray that you turn gay or Jewish), and supports the needs of indigent children, and public education instead of enriching the already wealthy at the expense of the rest of us.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
The OP hasn't really said what a neighborhood suitable for him looks like.

Would there be a welcome sign that says "We believe in traditional values?"

And for those that want a liberal neighborhood - what does one look like?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,128 times
To the OP-- I really want to know specifically what you are looking for. This is a genuine question as my husband and I could be considered "liberal" if one has to pick a label but I am interested in know what it is that you have an issue with. We are pro gay marriage, we know that something needs to change with the current health care plan even though we have great coverage that will continue (as long as we are employed), we are for protecting the environment and finding creative solutions to conservation, we are anti-assault weapons but are ok with hunting, we know that private industry does a pretty good job but have taken advantage of tax advantages and measures that have allowed them to move jobs outside of the US and we would like to see something happen to encourage them to come back, and we are pro-sex ed and pro-choice but also for an environment that builds self esteem and would encourage people to make better decisions and focus their energy elsewhere, and finally we would like to strengthen the education system for all people so that they have the ability to build a better life for themselves, their family and their community (and thus eventually avoiding many issues that require financial support by that very community) . Why are we such a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin