Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In the last 15 years has Austin become more liberal, more conservative, stayed the same, who cares?
More liberal over last 15 years. 21 28.38%
More conservative over last 15 years. 23 31.08%
Stayed the same. 11 14.86%
Who cares? 19 25.68%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times

Advertisements

More conservative and more corporate..yes, its heading toward Dallas or Orange County. Not by choice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Austin is so liberal, the only direction it could move to is be a little tiny bit more conservative.

Heck, all of California's, Silicon Valley, moved here during the 90's and screwed everything up.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM

205 posts, read 617,687 times
WOW BentBow...they must responsible for the collapse of the economy huh? Following your line of logic, lol. Finally, we have a group of ordinary citizens we can blame instead of the corporations, and politicians or government policies.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Austin is so liberal, the only direction it could move to is be a little tiny bit more conservative.

Heck, all of California's, Silicon Valley, moved here during the 90's and screwed everything up.
Nope, not even close. Move to Seattle to see a real liberal bastion. Austin is paradise for this fiscal conservative after spending close to the past decade up there.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
WOW BentBow...they must responsible for the collapse of the economy huh? Following your line of logic, lol. Finally, we have a group of ordinary citizens we can blame instead of the corporations, and politicians or government policies.

Did I type in some code or something? Wow, that got stretched.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It seems to me Austin is turning into Dallas. I was there last week and its amazing how much Austin is a smaller version of Dallas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
More conservative and more corporate..yes, its heading toward Dallas or Orange County. Not by choice though.
It seems like there has been a huge influx from LA and DFW in the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That's a frightening thought. Nothing against Dallas, but Austin has never been Dallas nor aspired to be. Different vibe entirely, so if one likes the Dallas vibe, one can move to Dallas, prefers the Austin vibe, live in Austin.
Bless your heart THL, and a rep point for you I've been saying the same thing for years now.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Pffhh they've been gone for quite a while now. I'm not certain that the LA/Dallas influence is an improvement.

If anyone had told me years ago... that there would someday be a Domain or "Galleria" here, I would have been laughing too hard to give directions back to the metroplex...

Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
No. Austin is not diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARRWOODEN View Post
Is Austin a diverse City for young black professionals?
No. Austin can never be as wonderful as Dallas. No offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
It seems to me Austin is turning into Dallas. I was there last week and its amazing how much Austin is a smaller version of Dallas.
There are no independent thinkers in Austin. At least from what I remember. It is always the same discussion with everyone. 1. I love 6th street don't you. Let's get wasted sometime soon. 2. UT is so amazing. You should go there and have all your dreams come true. 3. The movie theater where you can order food is so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Patriot as in "patriotic". Independent thinking is good - and there are independent thinkers everywhere, btw - yelling to hear the sound of your own fury and righteousness is selfish, boorish and undisciplined. Just my opinion.
Last I heard Dallas is not a conservative city. Get your facts straight before you dis a city that is far more developed, liberal, and advanced than Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post

Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Why are Austinites against shopping centers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Pffhh they've been gone for quite a while now. I'm not certain that the LA/Dallas influence is an improvement.

If anyone had told me years ago... that there would someday be a Domain or "Galleria" here, I would have been laughing too hard to give directions back to the metroplex...

Old 08-17-2009, 11:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why are Austinites against shopping centers?
Maybe we don't want to become as "wonderful" as Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin