Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM

126 posts, read 788,734 times

Advertisements

I agree with Nor Cal because I have bonked others at the grocery store as well. My daughter sometimes insists on getting the kid carts (I can talk her out of doing that most of the time) and I absolutely have no idea how to manouver them! A big sorry to all those shoppers who fell victim to my poor steering skills! I wouldn't say they are useless - they might be very useful for some moms but I personally dread using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
I agree with Nor Cal because I have bonked others at the grocery store as well. My daughter sometimes insists on getting the kid carts (I can talk her out of doing that most of the time) and I absolutely have no idea how to manouver them! A big sorry to all those shoppers who fell victim to my poor steering skills! I wouldn't say they are useless - they might be very useful for some moms but I personally dread using them.
I see some poor moms struggling so bad with those carts sometimes!

Nothing however is worse than the brigade of strollers inside stores in places like Disneyland. As a mom myself I totally appreciate what convenience they must offer a mom of one or two tots, but for the majority of shoppers inside small boutiques such as those you see in amusement parks, public parks, etc. it's a logistics nightmare to make your way through any aisles without encountering a traffic jam, and calf-smacking collisions can be quite common.

Just seems like the SIZE of strollers, carts, etc. over the years has grown to ridiculous proportions, and I think the drivers of them sometimes forget how much room they take up in public spaces. They can really crowd out aisles and public restrooms, etc. for others.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
I like the kid carts. When the store is vacant, you can haul *** down the aisles and they corner like nothing else and sometimes the kids fall out.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:23 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A regular cart, slightly wider, is a whole different thing than we're thinking of, I think, when we picture "kids carts" - those monster things that look like a car or whatnot. That's actually somewhat reasonable.

However, you're hardly the first person to have children, either twins or siblings very close in age, and had to take them grocery shopping. (I used to take my son and his best friend, son of our best friends, shopping together all the time at that age and we all survived.)

So, convenient? Yes. Necessary? No, not really.
A discount agent is a whole different thing than we're thinking of, I think , when we picture "real estate agent" we picture these monster commissions for someone who just posts our listing on mls or whatnot. That's actually somewhat reasonable.

However, you're hardly the first person to have to sell a house, either a condo or a single family home. (I used to sell houses all the time by myself and I survived)

So, convenient? Yes. Neceesary? No, not really.

Just funnin you.

What really is a necessity these days anyway? Why rag on someone for liking something that makes their life easier? I don't begrudge someone if they bump my cart or whatever, it's not like I'm going to the hospital or something.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I like the kid carts. When the store is vacant, you can haul *** down the aisles and they corner like nothing else and sometimes the kids fall out.
Hahahaha! That created a delightful Chevy Chase-ish visual.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
HAH! I don't currently have kids (one on the way), and I'm often irritated with parents ramming their giant baby carriages into me, rolling over my feet, etc... (usually without apologizing) in stores/malls. In fact, I rarely go to stores or malls anymore because of this.

But those kid's carts? I always thought they were cool! I wish they had them when I was a kid! I think it's cute when I see a kid in one or pushing one. I've never had too much of a problem with them in grocery stores. I have way more issues with parents stopping in the middle of an isle with their 5 kids, taking up the entire isle. Or stopping at the entrance of HEB to fiddle with their kid without realizing that people are trying to get in/out. Or their kids running wild around the store.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Wow! Who knew this was such a polarizing issue?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
[quote=readymade;10320621 I have way more issues with parents stopping in the middle of an isle with their 5 kids, taking up the entire isle. Or stopping at the entrance of HEB to fiddle with their kid without realizing that people are trying to get in/out. Or their kids running wild around the store.[/QUOTE]

I think it must be human nature to cause gridlock.

In addition to the two examples above I present:

The arrivals area at any airport but most notably when emerging from a restricted exit such as customs or security. You will always have crowds of friends and relatives on hand to greet the newcomers, but they have to do it in the narrow walkway and block everyone else from leaving, instead of letting everyone get into the open space and gather off to the side.

Sea World last week. After the Shamu show when everyone is trying to leave, two families decide to have a full confab get together in the walkway and force everyone else to squeeze around them.

The kids carts don't bug me as long as the kids are in them and not running around.

But when you have the three year old that insists on getting a big kids cart, and then wants to push it around himself, now that's annoying! And dangerous, and slow, and painful ....

Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
That's where the extremely useful word, "No," comes in handy. Yes, there will likely be meltdowns the first few times you use it (and I do remember how painful public meltdowns can be for all concerned), but once the kid learns that, yes, No does mean No, it gets much easier after that.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post

My daughter would absolutely LOVE that. My husband races her through the parking lot sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin