Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times

Advertisements

All I know is that we need a little more oversight of this newly expanding industry:

"Just one of 24 health department inspectors is devoted to [the 1043] mobile food vendors."

"One photo shows a truck with a tall propane tank mere inches from the rear bumper."

"Some regulations found at other cities that are not part of Austin's ordinance include requiring that trucks post daily itineraries, and that vendors present a notarized document of daily use of a commissary where they buy food supplies, clean their trucks and dump their grease, and that they present proof of liability insurance, propane gas permit and an agreement with property owners allowing use of toilet facilities at vending locations."

Food trucks compete for customers amid calls for more regulation (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/09/0809foodtrucks.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Here's another thought --

Check into the lots that were supposed to become new towers/condo developments but have since been put "on hold"... for example:

* The lot near 2nd and Congress where they tore down Las Manitas (for the future Marriot, but it hasn't been started yet)

* The Star Riverside location (stopped construction), near lots of students

* The 21C and T.Stacy tower locations (not sure of the addresses, but they are downtown -- you can look them up)

* The lots over by the Convention Center, south and east towards Rainey street. That was all supposed to be redeveloped, but it hasn't been yet...

* The lot that was supposed to become condos on Barton Springs road (not the condos under construction by Austin Java, but the empty lot a few lots west of that... just some vandalized signs and a cleared area).

These would be temporary digs, obviously, and you might find yourself moving around... but hey, isn't that what a trailer is for? Some of Austin's best places have been moved around several times.. like the Cedar Door: Cedar Door, Austin, Texas: Bar History

Good luck, and let us know where you end up.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,721 times
I have three snow cone trailers here in Fort Worth that do very well but I'm looking for something that will support me during the winters. I have one trailer that is not doing as well as i would like and I'm planning on relocating to Austin in October. My family has been in the Restaurant business here in Fort Worth for 40 years and i'm looking to bring our cooked love to Austin. Any suggestions or helpful information would be greatly appreciated. A location would be fantastic too! [mod] please use direct message function to contact instead of posting email[/mod] THANKS!!

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-26-2010 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: personal contact info in post

Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
What is it exactly about food trailers that made them so popular all of the sudden? 5 years ago, they weren't that common, but now I see them everywhere in Downtown and South Austin. Given the fact that the trailers seem like they'd be full of sanitary issues, and for 5 months out of the year, it's too hot to eat outside in Austin, I would never eat at one.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
What is it exactly about food trailers that made them so popular all of the sudden? 5 years ago, they weren't that common, but now I see them everywhere in Downtown and South Austin. Given the fact that the trailers seem like they'd be full of sanitary issues, and for 5 months out of the year, it's too hot to eat outside in Austin, I would never eat at one.
I agree, they are just about the last place I would look to find something to eat.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I agree, they are just about the last place I would look to find something to eat.
Exactly. Not to mention that most of the trailers aren't that cheap when compared to a comparable restaurant. I'd rather pay $5.00 extra and sit in a comfortable, air-conditioned restaurant that I know is being regularly inspected by a health inspector than take my chances at a food stand.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
You need to try it, you are really missing out. These are not the roach coach/taco truck trailers of the past -- they are a completely new culinary fad, and the epicenter is happening right here in Austin. They are more like little gourmet tasting villages than regular restaurants. And with today's economy, they provide an excellent opportunity for a unique dining experience at a very inexpensive price. Because the trailers ARE cheaper than a restaurant, unless by restaurant you mean Taco Bell or something. Why pay $75 for a dinner at Hudson's on the Bend when you can get some of his stuff at their trailer for $10? And it's BYOB!

Yes, it's hot during the summer. But it's not bad at night, and Austin is no stranger to to outdoor eating during the summer. Practically every restaurant offers an outdoor option. Plus, a lot of people just pick it up and take it home.

Seriously, if you haven't tried them yet, try:

1) Torchy's Tacos. That's the grandaddy of the "new" trailer eatery. Except now they have inside locations and are expanding like crazy. But the food is still like the trailers -- in other words, it's not really Tex Mex or Mexican, it's something different. The term "taco" is basically just describing the fact that everything is in a tortilla. But their "tacos" might have chicken fried steak, jalapeno sausage, or fried avocado in them.

2) Odd Duck trailer. Everything locally grown, like having a chef pick ingredients out at the farmers market and then cooking up something for you. Pork belly sliders, fois gras, quail, you never know what it will be.

3) Franklin's BBQ. Honestly, I haven't tried it yet but it's on my list. Typical that the hottest new BBQ place in town would be in a trailer.

4) Lulu B's Vietnamese. They make awesome Vietnamese sandwiches. Yes, their Banh Mi is slightly more expensive than a Pho place in Houston or N Austin... but Banh Mi is still kinda difficult to find in Austin. So the trailer is a great intro to it. Plus, they are much nicer at Lulu B's than at your typical Vietnamese place! If you want to get out of the heat, bring your food across the street to Black Sheep and have a beer.

For desert go to Flip Happy, or the Crepe place on S. Congress, Gourdough's (gourmet donut trailer), or Hey Cupcake.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I'm going to agree that a trailer does NOT appeal to me at all. It seems like a good place for a quick snack and not much else.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,625 times
i hear there may be an open slot close to parkside soon

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM

206 posts, read 483,695 times
Where does one go to acquire/rent a trailer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin