Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,454,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I ride all the time and I usually ride up to the front at the intersection without blocking traffic. Typically, I am the guy waving cars through to turn right. I have not been in peletons that circle around cars, where are you seeing this? I haven't seen this along parmer or the surrounding roads in Cedar Park. For my safety I will not ride downtown unless it is part of the ms150. Besides head north on parmer and you are into the quiet country where it is much nicer anyway.
Agreed on the Parmer north into Cedar Park, Leander route...no traffic problems to speak of(except for the occasional goof-ball at Neenah or AR Blvd., also, a little tricky crossing 620 with the long right-turn lane). The peloton swarms are on in-town rides, usually(many are ACA sponsored rides). A couple of riders approach the red light ahead of traffic...hangers-on swarm around the stopped cars to join the front riders, thus blocking the autos yet again as they(the cyclists) miss a clip-in and can't clear the intersection in a timely fashion. This is especially frustrating to the motorist who is turning right on red...but can't make the turn for all the bikes passing on the right.

Yeah, we've got it pretty good up here...Parmer/Reagan gets a little boring(OK, a lot boring) but you sure can stretch your legs for a good distance. Sure wish they had a shoulder on 1431. Ride on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM

198 posts, read 498,628 times
I give cyclists a wide berth, no matter their behavior; many seem considerate others self righteous and foolish. Legislating the 3' zone, who really thinks the cyclists with smarmy attitudes will change? The cyclists who understand the relationship between a car and themselves will now have a little more sense of safety.
To this day I remember a cyclist racing down a hill making a left turn onto a 2 way street without stopping. I was in high school and my mother was driving. The cyclist hit our car, face/body first onto the wind screen and was thrown about 100'. The cyclist was damaged but lived. My mother was traumatized and I still remember the look on the cyclist's face when he hit the windscreen.
If you ride a bike, perhaps you should read a little physics about mass, velocity and impact - it's not a contest, but the laws of physics determine the outcome; especially in this town of trucks & SUV's.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,057,339 times
it's already legal for a bike to effectively take up a whole car lane.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Both positives.

Are the bike lanes between the sidewalk and parked cars? Or the horrible between parked cars and traffic? Just curious.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,561,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Here's some other things that make driving more dangerous:

Eating while driving.... Dangerous.... BAN IT!
Drinking Soda Whie Driving.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Changing the Radio Station.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Putting on Makeup.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Reading commercial signage on the side of the road.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Writing something down.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Talking to Kids in the Car.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Talking to Adults in the Car.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Putting in a CD.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Looking for a CD.... Dangerous! BAN IT!
Counting your money for a toll.... Dangerous! BAN IT!

Let's face it, the government can't make the world completely safe and this type of reactionary thinking results in way, way too many laws.

I agree that texting while driving is dangerous... However, many of you would also like to ban cell phone usage while driving... So why not just ban everything on the above list. It would make us safer.
Great points, we should ban driving while at it!

For the record I am for the ban on TWD but against the 3 foot ban that is crazy..I cannot wait for someone to make 2222 a one lane road at 5 pm ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin