Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:13 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

This is a weird question, I know, but when it comes to the local opinions on style, what are people's attitudes on guys who shave their head bald?

The reason I ask, is that I have considered for a long time now, to move to either Dallas or Austin, and want to know if people would consider me a racist skinhead, or do people not have a problem with it, etc?

I had a mohawk/spiky hair style until recently, which I liked, but I just couldnt hide the large bald spot on the back of my head anymore. So I went with the clean shaved look. most people here tell me I look better, and look 5 years younger! And actually, more women seem to "look" at me and flirt with me. But I can also tell, there are some people who now think I am a skinhead racist.

What is the general perception in texas, of guys who shave their head? Is it considered sexy? Or racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:06 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
Usually when I see men with shaved heads, I assume that they're balding.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Usually when I see men with shaved heads, I assume that they're balding.
....& that they should always have sunscreen handy.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
You would be amazed at the amount of men in Texas who shave their heads and are not skin heads. My cousin is one who shaves his head because it's easier to deal with. Saw a guy with a shaved head at the store today....didn't think he was a rascist. There are Mexican and black men around here who also do it. It's hot (Texas, afterall) so for a lot of people it's just practical in a hot climate.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
There are Mexican .. men around here who also do it.
They are known as "pelones" and, more often than not, are members of gangs.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
They are known as "pelones" and, more often than not, are members of gangs.
This is another issue I am concerned about - sometimes I am worried that people think I am a gang member because of my haircut.

Another person told me I look like Anton LaVey, the "pope" of the Church of Satan.

Another person told me I look like the Nosferatu from the cover of the Bauhaus album.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
The shaved/buzzed head on men has been pretty popular the last 10 years or so. It lost its "skinhead" association because of this. It's especially popular in south/central Texas.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
What is the general perception in texas, of guys who shave their head? Is it considered sexy? Or racist?
Nobody here is going to care about your hair, or lack thereof. You'll be judged on how you act, speak, and how you treat people.

We get these "will people like me?" questions here all the time, which I find interesting and humorous.
"Will people accept me if I'm outspoken?"
"Will I fit in if I'm Christian?"
"Are gays welcome in Austin?"
"I'm a single mom with tatoos, will I get the stink eye from Muffy?"
"I drive a Hummer, will it get egged in Travis Heights?"

The answer to all of these questions is, WE DON'T CARE about your insecurities!

Steve

Old 08-29-2009, 07:16 PM

132 posts, read 496,996 times
I live in Austin and have been shaving my head for more than seven or eight years now. I don't think anyone has thought of me being a racist/skinhead. Don't look or act the part, and you won't be confused as being it!

As for a shaved head being cooler, it's not. I was definitely cooler when I had hair! Hair shades the skin and acts as a heat sink.

D

Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
heat sink LOL! Love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: