Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,212 times

Advertisements

What is up with the mention of scorpions? My wife and I are both interviewing for positions in Austin. If we move there and she sees a scorpion, man it's over!

Do I want my 2 1/2 year old out in the yard? Do they get into the house?
Are they poisionous??! (That may be a dumb question but we are from New England and there are no scorpions around when it is -20F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 02:37 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
There are some here but you can go years without seeing one. They are not poisonous per se but if you get stung by one it's like a bee sting. You are most likely to see them in a brand new house - you shouldn't encounter them outdoors. I've seen maybe 3 in my house in 15 years.

Here are some previous threads about them:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=15297477

Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times
When my sister lived in Florence (which is about 40 miles north from Austin), she was always finding scorpions in the house. Both her and my BIL got bit by them and they didn't do anything.

Altho when my BIL got bit by one, it "healed" him of a back problem he was having at the time! Kind of freaky, but if you look online, there are things out there about scorpions stings "healing" people!

Also, my sister once found my nephew when he was a baby playing with one in the house - and he ended up killing it!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Some friends always have them around and in their house. I have personally never seen a live one. However, I walked into the bathroom one morning years ago and heard a crunch under my bare foot. I was about to freak out that it was a giant roach but it was a scorpion.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
We live in new housing so we see them pretty frequently. They do come in the house and they have even managed to creep into our bed with us. Good news is that I have been stung by them a few times and the fire ants around here hurt 100 times worse than the scorpion. I would be wary of the fire ants.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,212 times
How do they get into the house? And why from the new construction? Do they have pest control for them - spraying, etc? We have exterminators people use here for the grease/sugar ants and termites.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:18 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
We see one in the house every few months or so. We have a pest control company come every 3 months and spray for pretty much everything as a precaution, which has helped keep the numbers down.

You tend to see more in areas of new construction because their little underground homes are disturbed and they are forced to go elsewhere.

A sting hurts like hell, but that's about it. They are only really dangerous if you are allergic to them - kind of like bees. And they get into the house just like any other bug does.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Most pesticides are ineffective on scorpions. Treating for pests however does get rid of what scorpions generally eat - other bugs.

It is only a matter of time before you see one in the house. They are "poisonous" since they have a nasty sting - I suppose about like a wasp (much stronger than an ordinary bee).

Old 08-29-2009, 06:33 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpDraft2009 View Post
What is up with the mention of scorpions? My wife and I are both interviewing for positions in Austin. If we move there and she sees a scorpion, man it's over!

Do I want my 2 1/2 year old out in the yard? Do they get into the house?
Are they poisionous??! (That may be a dumb question but we are from New England and there are no scorpions around when it is -20F
80 people have died in car accidents in Austin so far this year. None from insect bites of any kind, much less scorpions. Tell your wife to get a grip. The sting isn't even that bad. Wasp stings are worse and much more common.

Welcome.

Steve

Old 08-29-2009, 07:05 PM

313 posts, read 786,108 times
most of the ones i've seen are pretty small around here, and yeah, fire ants are much worse. I got stung by one I didn't see in my drain that I was cleaning. Barely felt it. Arizona apparently has much more deadly scorpions, ours are just big bugs. Dogs are good at keeping them at bay, mine eat them. Cats too.

pesticides don't work because they walk up off the ground. if you're worried about them, sound emmitters are more effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin