Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

60 posts, read 188,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Well, I made sure to dose my daughter up real well before I sent her out this morning, so hope it helped her. I told her she had to play inside today and she was alright with it.
You dosed her up? With what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,827,852 times
Default Asthma

Quote:
Originally Posted by contramundum View Post
You dosed her up? With what?
I seem to remember Love Roses mentioning her daughter has asthma on another thread. I would imagine she dosed her with corticosteroids ie. inhalers and such.

But I am just guessing.

And after 2 years of reading city-data, this is my first post. Not as auspicious as I thought it would be.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM

60 posts, read 188,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I seem to remember Love Roses mentioning her daughter has asthma on another thread. I would imagine she dosed her with corticosteroids ie. inhalers and such.

But I am just guessing.

And after 2 years of reading city-data, this is my first post. Not as auspicious as I thought it would be.
Alright alright.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:37 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
Yes, you're right! Thanks for clearing that up for me Yes, she has asthma so I made her do the Pulmicort/albuterol cocktail this morning. It was this time last year that she had to go to the hospital for the first time ever and I didn't want a repeat :P

Old 12-02-2009, 04:59 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
Looks like we just made the standard, or at least until the standard is lowered to 60-70:

Austin narrowly avoids penalties for air quality (http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/139/6289-austin-narrowly-avoids-penalties-for-air-quality - broken link)

Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Looks like we just made the standard, or at least until the standard is lowered to 60-70:

Austin narrowly avoids penalties for air quality (http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/139/6289-austin-narrowly-avoids-penalties-for-air-quality - broken link)
Interesting that in the last 3 years, when Austin added so many new residents (and cars), we've had the lowest ozone levels of the decade by far. At first I'd guess that it means the levels have more to do with weather patterns than actual pollution output... but then again, we had a 2 year drought and record hot summers -- prime opportunity for high ozone levels.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,961,193 times
I don't think there is anything we cannot pin on those "transplants"! Least they're good for sumthin!

Please note sarcasm.

Although I do wonder who used to get scapegoated before the "transplants".

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Interesting that in the last 3 years, when Austin added so many new residents (and cars), we've had the lowest ozone levels of the decade by far. At first I'd guess that it means the levels have more to do with weather patterns than actual pollution output... but then again, we had a 2 year drought and record hot summers -- prime opportunity for high ozone levels.
One thing that I have been told about this is that the newer, low emission cars really do make a difference here. You can have more cars each year, but still have decreasing pollution levels, as long as the additional cars aren't "clunkers". When I got my Honda Civic 5 years ago, my mechanic mentioned that I could forget about killing myself by asphyxiation in the garage, as this car doesn't put out enough carbon monoxide to do that. And I guess that goes for other auto emissions as well. Many places outlaw fireplace use during cold weather inversions, too, although the danger there is particulates more than ozone, I think.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
I'm thinking the mandatory emission checks made the difference. I know of one couple who dumped their old van b/c they knew it wouldn't pass inspection. Work has also been done to restricting idling diesel trucks.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Quote:
At first I'd guess that it means the levels have more to do with weather patterns than actual pollution output... but then again, we had a 2 year drought and record hot summers -- prime opportunity for high ozone levels.
Actually, when the weather gets REALLY hot (like this past summer) it apparently reduces the ground level ozone by creating an air 'dome' that is much bigger and allows the ozone to rise and disperse. So although more ozone is created, it is less concentrated. My meteorologist/air pollution co-worker mentioned what temperatures resulted in a shift from increase to decrease, but I forgot what it was exactly...it was north of 100 degrees, though, and this summer definitely spent a lot of time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin