Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM

68 posts, read 129,697 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I am a 27 year old male, never married, no kids, and am strongly considering moving to Austin, transferring to UT, and finishing my degree. I currently live in Colorado Springs, CO and have done so for the past four years ever since I left the Marine Corps. Anyway, I have absolutely decided that I cannot stay here. Why? Well, despite all its beauty, the people in Colorado (especially the younger women my age) act extremely unapproachable, unfriendly, and will not give a guy the time of day unless they went to high school with you or you are already in their social circle. Now, don't get me wrong please, I am not looking for some one night stand, but I would like to live somewhere where the women are friendly and will at least be willing to let you talk to them. I would truly like to settle down and get married someday, but these people here are very cold (especially the women) and won't even let you be their friend. Anyway, I have heard that Texas is alot like the southeast (I was born and raised in the Chattanooga, TN area btw) in terms of the people generally being warm and friendly. So, do any of you all know how the women act in TX? Here in Colorado Springs the women that I go to college with refuse to even make eye contact with you so how is one supposed to find friends, a girlfriend, etc???? I truly hope that this doesn't seem shallow of me to be posting this here, but the truth of the matter is the fact I am not getting any younger and would like to settle down before I turn 40. Anyway, if anyone could give me some accurate information on this it would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
This seems like an odd reason to move. Could it be you are older than your college peers? Do you have guy friends?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Having lived in Denver before, he does have a point. The natives tend to be cliquish and it's not easy to get included in things. I was working there and it was the same with my coworkers. The friendliest and easiest to get along with were the ones who were transplants as well. I was there for about 6 yrs. and did eventually start making some real friends but it did take a while.

Yes, women (people in general) are more approachable here and are a little more likely to let "outsiders" or people they have just met get involved in some of their activities (parties, group outings to bars or restaurants).

Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,718 times
Eric81,

before you move to Austin, please first make sure you understand why girls/women in Colorado wouldn't date you.

get a notebook, muster some courage and ask 100-200 women out. when they say No, ask them to be candid with you and give you their reasons for not dating you. make sure to jot down all the details. (use a hidden tape recorder if you find it hard to remember exactly what they have to say.)

let us know the results.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Try e harmony, cheaper than moving to another state just for a date.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
Transferring schools will set you back at least a semester. Graduate. Make tons of money. They will date you then.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM

68 posts, read 129,697 times
austinite, seriously, what was the intention of your post? I realize that you were being sarcastic, but I honestly didn't get the jist or inferred meaning of your post. I don't mean to be rude, but when I am in class all of the women are continually texting people (presumably their boyfriends) on their cellphones and their body language clear "says" stay away from me I do not want to talk to you. Sir/Maam I can honestly tell you that women DO NOT act that way anywhere in TN be it Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga for that matter. The reason that I am living here in Colorado in the first place is due to the fact that I got a civilian job here after leaving the Marines, got laid off, and since I had established residency here, I returned to college here. I do look at (meaning not gawk) the women here and try to make eye contact, but they refuse to say hello or even smile in return. Also, I wasn't looking to move to Austin, TX solely to date women, but due to the fact that Governor Perry of TX just recently signed a bill that gives all military veterans in state tuition in TX. Also, UT has a good Pharmacology program from what I understand. I do not want to attend pharm school here in Colorado because CU-Denver is a commuter school and doesn't even have on campus apartments because it isn't even a true campus, but a mere building in downtown Denver. On that note, I take it that you haven't heard Denver's nickname "Menver"?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,718 times
Eric81,

no sarcasm. (playful, maybe)

aren't you curious about the underlying reason for their lack of interest??

I'd be if i were you.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
I lived in Denver from 1992-1996 and I agree that people in Austin are more friendly and that it is much more like the southeast than CO is. Plus, Austin is just a great place to live and UT is a great school. Go for it...sounds like you have other reasons than just dating.

Also, being a female and having been in college...I think your age difference is a factor in college girls not wanting to date you. Just being honest. Women in their late teens, early 20's are still pretty unclear about what they want in life. You might try finding friends in a different place (meetup.com, etc.). Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,013,387 times
Menver lol, that's funny. My hubby is from Denver, lots of hot looking guys there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin