U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM

3,765 posts, read 8,207,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbol View Post
I hunt them at night with a blacklight since they glow. I'm on multiple acres so I have no hope of completely getting rid of them. When I first started a month ago, I was getting 20-30 a night. Now, I get 1 or 2.
In the house?!?!?!?!?!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 26,716 times
No. I get them before they get inside. Only seen 1 inside so far but I'm sure there are more. Just life in the Hill Country.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,789,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Bug spray doesn't work because a scorpion isn't a bug. Get some spider spray (works on all arachnids). When I had a scorpion problem, I also found it useful to invest in some tongs and scissors. Step one, spray the scorpion with spider spray to stun it. Step two, grab it with the tongs and proceed to the nearest toilet. Step three, cut it into itty bitty little pieces and watch them sink to the bottom. Step four, flush! Or if you're feeling more humane, you can just pick the critter up with the tongs, proceed to the nearest safe dumping place, and set it free to terrorize someone else.
this is what I used to. Cutting them up was very satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sille777 View Post
Starvation is about the only thing I have found that works.

I have yet to see one in Austin (only lived here 2 years though) When I was younger my family lived in El Paso and we would get them in the house a few times. they came up the drians. usually the shower.

chemicals dont work they can adapt to about anything quickly. we would collect one in a glass jar and seal it and it took over a week for them to die.
I had them come up the drains all the time. I got to where I was afraid to take a shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Sticky traps work quite well for scorpions, put them in closets, dark places, and behind all furniture that is against the wall; esp. your bed. And spray well with spider spray. Then you MIGHT not get stung, but don't count on it.
I never thought of that. Thanks for your suggestion!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 PM

183 posts, read 241,401 times
"Demon". Avail.at Tractor Supply and most Ag stores. spray around foundation,patio & garage.Then all of base of walls in house,under fridge,closets, etc,etc.You will see a great reduction but you cannot get rid of them perm.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Moved to Austin two years ago and have ran across three of them in the house. One of them in the overhead florescent lighting fixture in the kitchen. Have been stung once as a child. Most unpleasant to say the least. Don't know about spraying, but I did see an exterminator in town with a picture of a scorpion on his truck for advertising. Don't know if it was just a name or advertising using the picture.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM

17 posts, read 17,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staubach View Post
We used Cykick around the perimeter of the house and haven't seen a scorpion in awhile. It isn't cheap but seems to be effective.
I second the use of Cy Kick for scorpions Amazon.com: Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin 16oz Insecticide: Everything Else

Lem

Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,789,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Will it hurt my dogs? We got our first one here in this house today! We've been here three years and haven't seen one until now and I remembered this thread. I'm freaking out. I HATE them. Going to get some of this tomorrow and new door sweeps for the bottom of my doors...oh, and stick traps, and mason jars.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful tips in this thread!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Will it hurt my dogs?
We just moved to RR about 4 months ago. We have 3 dogs (2 Labs and 1 Brittany). Our Brittany got stung last night. We gave him a Benedryl and kill the 3" scorpion. After 2-3 hrs he was playing like nothing happened. At first he was nervous and limping but after a while he started acting normal but it still stung. He also was licking the site often.

I am calling the exterminator today since we are finding about 1 per 1-2 weeks in the house. I believe getting rid of the food source will help but since the lots across the street are empty I don't think this problem will go away anytime soon until 1-2 years after the street is built out.

I did buy a black light last night and went hunting around the house...I didn't find any others or that trick doesn't work. Time will tell.

I used to live in Cameron Co and saw only 1 in our house there over a 5yr period. I called an exterminator the next day and he treated that afternoon. I'm going to call him today to see what he used and hold the local exterminator to the same expectation or fire them.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 AM

14 posts, read 43,807 times
My Dad uses some badass stuff he buys online. he hasn't offered up just what chemical it is but it's pretty effective. he sprays the thresholds, the scorpions still come in but only make it a few feet before they die. (west georgetown they are abundant) btw...native texans here...dealing with scorpions for a lifetime. they will never go away completely.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 18,134,546 times
I've been stung twice... it's no worse than a bee sting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin