Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 72,962 times

Advertisements

Well I think my title says it all. What are the main differences in the hospitals? Are there any I should stay from, or a hands down the BEST!? I would love to hear about peoples experiences at the different hospitals when it comes to having a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
You are in luck! Austin is a fertile and growing place and has high quality OB care across the board. It is hard to go wrong.

I had a great experience at Seton Central. St. David's also gets high marks. Both have a complete NICU. Smaller hospitals can be quieter but if baby turns out to have problems, s/he may be transferred to a hospital with a NICU. So, chose Seton Central over Seton SW if you are expecting twins or are high-risk.

I am always surprised by people who insist on using a particular hospital that is miles from their homes, instead of one that is closer. If you have fast labor, distance can matter.

Choose a great OB and use the hospital that they recommend. Check if your insurance prefers one over the other. Otherwise, all of the Austin area hospitals are solid.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
North Austin Hospital on N. Mopac just built a brand new multi-million dollar Women's Wing with fantastic birthing options. My first grandaughter was born there last May; we looked at every hospital in the city and North Austin was our favorite - and everything went well.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
There probably is no universal 'best' hospital, it depends a lot on the familly and what they want. That said, We used the North Austin Medical Center (not sure what the real name for it is these days) for our first, and are planning to use it for our soon to arrive second. We received excellent care and were downright surprised on how friendly and helpful the staff was.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
we used seton central. not glamourous but a wonderful staff and easy/close by.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
I went on a tour of the Austin Birthing Center (http://www.austinabc.com/) and I was VERY impressed with it. If I were going to be giving birth in Austin, that's where I'd do it.

My husband just had surgery at Seton Central and was there for 3 nights. Some of the nurses were really great, and some of them didn't seem to know what they were doing at all. It was kind of freaky. One of them cut through his IV by accident (!!! she just wasn't paying attention for some reason), and kept trying to put it back in but seemed to have a lot of trouble (she had to try various veins, then left to go "ask another nurse what she should do" and then came back and tried another vein and was finally successful.)

Another time, his IV was leaking and blood was backing up into it. He called for a nurse and it took them about 15-20 minutes to send someone. Odd stuff like that kept happening. There were several other "incidents" like that but I won't bore you with them.

I'm pregnant, myself, and my OBGYN is "stationed" out of Seton Central. Based on my husband's experiences, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable giving birth there, even if I were willing to give birth in a hospital (which I'm not for other reasons). I'm moving out of state, in any case, before the birth.

Also, I don't know if this would bother you or not, but Seton (and St. David's, obviously) are christian hospitals. There were crosses and pictures of dead Jesus all over the place. Kind of freaked us out.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
We had a good experience at St. David's North Austin in their new Women's center.

http://www.womenscenteroftexas.com/home.aspx

St. David's HealthCare - St. David's North Austin Medical Center Delivers First Phase of $83-Million Women's Hospital

Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 PM

11 posts, read 72,962 times
I think that St Davids North Austin hospital sounds like the one I want to go with. Its further from my job but much closer to home. So now the question is finding a great doctor to go along with my hospital of choice. If anyone has any pictures of the rooms they have I would love to see. Not sure if you can post pics on here though???

Thank you so much for the replies!

Last edited by NewTXan; 09-06-2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Changed wording....

Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Go by and they will give you a tour of the place. They just added a new section in the maternity area, I think, and I have not seen it myself yet.

FWIW for the husbands, the food in the cafeteria was quite decent if not gourmet

Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,504 times
Seton Central. That's where you want to be if something goes wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: