Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

I'm the one that said that "Austinites could care less that they're celebrities", and, yes, we live at the ranch and still have a house in Austin and work in Austin, so that hardly constitutes being a "former Austinite".

Perhaps that needs clarification. Do Austinites recognize that they are celebrities? Most likely. Do they think that's (a) the most important thing about them or (b) that that celebrity means that people should know where they live or that they, by virtue of their celebrity, "belong" to their fans? Nope, they tend to think that they're people and treat them accordingly. At least, that's what I've heard as the celebrities' explanations for why they like to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Don't y'all think that any statement that starts out "Austinites think" or "Austinites don't think" is going to be a sweeping generalization? I mean, aren't we all individuals here?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I mean, aren't we all individuals here?
Yeah, just like everyone else.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Don't y'all think that any statement that starts out "Austinites think" or "Austinites don't think" is going to be a sweeping generalization? I mean, aren't we all individuals here?
I agree, which is why I objected to the "you/Austinites say you don't care..." But, without intending to insult, I also find it a bit exasperating when people who don't live in Austin make claims about the city and the "climate" here. To get a clear picture of Austin, you have to live here, talk with your neighbors, raise children together, volunteer at school together, shop at the same grocery store as your neighbor, etc. This is off-topic, but even if it means that I never make another post on Austin city-data (which I like very much) I have to say it.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I agree, which is why I objected to the "you/Austinites say you don't care..." But, without intending to insult, I also find it a bit exasperating when people who don't live in Austin make claims about the city and the "climate" here. To get a clear picture of Austin, you have to live here, talk with your neighbors, raise children together, volunteer at school together, shop at the same grocery store as your neighbor, etc. This is off-topic, but even if it means that I never make another post on Austin city-data (which I like very much) I have to say it.
So, since I attended UT in Austin, birthed and raised two children here in public and private schools, have owned and own still own houses here, have worked and still work here and owned businesses here, have friends here that I socialize with on a regular basis, and shop here (all over the city) regularly, and have done this nonstop for 40 years, does that qualify me to post about Austin in the Austin forum?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM

85 posts, read 207,689 times
Someone let me know when Megan Fox makes it to town.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, since I attended UT in Austin, birthed and raised two children here in public and private schools, have owned and own still own houses here, have worked and still work here and owned businesses here, have friends here that I socialize with on a regular basis, and shop here (all over the city) regularly, and have done this nonstop for 40 years, does that qualify me to post about Austin in the Austin forum?

Ok, ok...you're a celebrity!

Oh, and I'm Aunt Bee and I live in Hutto. (top that!)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I wasn't talking about you.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Who were you talking about then?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Who were you talking about then?
A cumulative effect of posting. More than frequent claims of more desirable living in outlying communities and assumptions of a collective mindset in Austin. I realize other communities are also subjected to the latter, and the former is influenced by property values, but not always. Regardless, it seems like the standard response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin