Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
It may be a bit on the overrated side, but I'm a little hesitant to say that. People from Austin tend to really like it and can oftentimes be very vocal, but I don't ever hear the city mentioned nearly as often as other destinations in travel magazines or in the media, so I wouldn't necessarily call it overrated. It might not be the biggest or most "mature" city around, but it is growing and progressing, and personally I really like it here, so I think more people should come and see what they think about it. But even if most people conclude that it doesn't live up to the hype, that doesn't mean I'm going to like it any less.
Agreed, it's only fair to make claims after seeing it for yourself. Otherwise it's like your words don't have any basis for their meaning whatsoever. Haha, people should definitely visit before saying something, or at least do more research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 04:34 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Well typically the word "overrated" is in and of itself overrated due simply to the fact that it is utterly subjective and has no real basis (is it the place/thing that's overrated or the rater that is overrated?)

Anyway, that being said, having lived in the SF Bay Area and NYC (and spent a decent amount of time in LA/SoCal and Chicago), I can see how someone who is into the "big city" vibe and all the things it has to offer (both good and bad), might be disappointed in what Austin has to offer. It certainly has a lot of things going for it, and if those things match ones idea of being positive attributes then Austin can be an absolutely wonderful place. But you really have to understand what you want and what you're getting (just like anyplace else).

Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I go live and go to school in Austin, and the people here think they live in a city that competes with NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia based off of importance.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful to any of my fellow Austinities, but I'm simply trying to state a point that people here in Austin expect Austin to be the next San Francisco, do they know that the economy has taken a minor decline recently? I think we Austinities get a little to ahead of ourselves here.
Beautiful city, lots to do, and has potential of being the next great city, but as of right now, it's not NYX or San Fran. We just have to remember that we're Austin, and not a copy of all these other places.

I know I know, by writing this, I've invited myself to a lot of hate comments, but this is my opinion, and it's what I use to state my thoughts on ATX being overrated or not. I don't expect everyone here to understand what I'm saying, but I do expect them to TRY to understand what I'm saying.
I have lived here a long time and I don't know ANYONE who thinks Austin is in the same league as the cities you mention. No one I know wants Austin to be like those cities. There may be parts of them we wish we had here - like museums. But most of us like the lower cost of living (Houston wins there), cleaner air, etc.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have lived here a long time and I don't know ANYONE who thinks Austin is in the same league as the cities you mention. No one I know wants Austin to be like those cities. There may be parts of them we wish we had here - like museums. But most of us like the lower cost of living (Houston wins there), cleaner air, etc.
What part of town do you live in? I assure you, the area I live in, that's what I see most of the time, but I can't speak for the whole city thinking that. Just the large MAJORITY of the people I come into contact with, do the comparisons to San Fran or NYC, and the ones that don't have their own motto unique only for ATX, "Keep Austin weird".

Old 04-10-2010, 12:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
They compare Austin with San Fran and NYC? Are you serious?

Quote:
What part of town do you live in? I assure you, the area I live in, that's what I see most of the time, but I can't speak for the whole city thinking that. Just the large MAJORITY of the people I come into contact with, do the comparisons to San Fran or NYC, and the ones that don't have their own motto unique only for ATX, "Keep Austin weird".

Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 AM

I disagree. It does not have potential to be "the next great city" and there really isn't "lots to do". I'm not sure what you are referring to exactly.

Quote:
Beautiful city, lots to do, and has potential of being the next great city, but as of right now, it's not NYX or San Fran. We just have to remember that we're Austin, and not a copy of all these other places.

I know I know, by writing this, I've invited myself to a lot of hate comments, but this is my opinion, and it's what I use to state my thoughts on ATX being overrated or not. I don't expect everyone here to understand what I'm saying, but I do expect them to TRY to understand what I'm saying.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They compare Austin with San Fran and NYC? Are you serious?
Yeah, my fellow peers do. Not saying that everyone in ATX does, I'm sure the residential area's outside of downtown, they don't there, but near 6th street and the UT campus, oh man, do they ever!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 AM

And what do those students do for fun exactly? What are you majoring in?

Quote:
Yeah, my fellow peers do. Not saying that everyone in ATX does, I'm sure the residential area's outside of downtown, they don't there, but near 6th street and the UT campus, oh man, do they ever!

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-10-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And what do those students for fun exactly? What are you majoring in?
I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and after my Bachelors is complete I'm going to work on LSAT's because I want to be a lawyer, Engineering is my back up option in case unemployment rates are higher in the future for lawyers and such.

The kids these days like to dwindle around 6th street, drink and party there as well, along with the frat houses being nearby. It's crazy, you'll actually sometimes see kids smoking MJ in public... it's not all that common but these behaviors are expanding by a lot.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 AM

Well they are so high and drunk that they really don't know if Austin is overrated or not. I was accustomed to being entertained 24/7 in the big city. I didn't get that in Austin.

Quote:
I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and after my Bachelors is complete I'm going to work on LSAT's because I want to be a lawyer, Engineering is my back up option in case unemployment rates are higher in the future for lawyers and such.

The kids these days like to dwindle around 6th street, drink and party there as well, along with the frat houses being nearby. It's crazy, you'll actually sometimes see kids smoking MJ in public... it's not all that common but these behaviors are expanding by a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin