Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 21,155 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am graduating with a bachelor's degree and want to move to a new state. I've heard so much about Austin and what a happening place it is for young people. I've also heard a great deal about the music scene. I am 29 and just beginning my career "for serious." I was wanting some advice about good places to search for a rental. I want a one bedroom close to central Austin. Cheap rent is definitely a factor, but also an area where I can walk/bike/bus to nightlife, shopping, etc. Is there any particular part known for it's artistic community or where young people hang out? I abhor the apartment complexes where everyone is stacked on top of each other and would prefer a more "city-ish" feel to the place. Anyone have any ideas, or know of a great place they've lived before?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 10:14 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,746 times
The most walkable areas will be downtown, which is not cheap, although there are some areas that are on bus lines. A bigger issue will be competition with local students for jobs and housing.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:11 PM

85 posts, read 207,689 times
Depends on your definition of "cheap". If cheap is $1000/mo, then plenty of options. If it's more along the lines of $600/mo, then you'll be up against a wall . . . and with ppl stacked on top of you.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 34,064 times
There are places sub $600 although quality will not be tops. You will have a better selection of better quality rentals from $750-850. Be prepared to pay higher upfront costs like 1 month deposit for the rentals too vs lesser for the stacked apartments.

PM me if you want more details!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellina View Post
Hi all! I am graduating with a bachelor's degree and want to move to a new state. I've heard so much about Austin and what a happening place it is for young people. I've also heard a great deal about the music scene. I am 29 and just beginning my career "for serious." I was wanting some advice about good places to search for a rental. I want a one bedroom close to central Austin. Cheap rent is definitely a factor, but also an area where I can walk/bike/bus to nightlife, shopping, etc. Is there any particular part known for it's artistic community or where young people hang out? I abhor the apartment complexes where everyone is stacked on top of each other and would prefer a more "city-ish" feel to the place. Anyone have any ideas, or know of a great place they've lived before?

Thank you!!!
I've got just the right place for ya -- Spring Condos - brand new - in fact, it's not quite finished yet (even though it was supposed to be done in Spring 2007). It's in the downtown area, close to bars on 6th street (Austin's center of nightlife). It's also close to a new Performing Arts Center and the a popular park, where free concerts are usually held.

Moderator cut: racist comments

Move-in has been scheduled for July 2009 (according to newsletters). But according to my on-site observation as of September 12, nobody has moved in yet. You might get some sort of prize for being the first renter to move in.

You want cheap rent right? You are in luck. Austin's real estate sector has just started its spiral down the toilet. So you will probably get a very generous discount. Go for the smallest efficiency unit (about 530 sq.ft.) that has a walk-in closet (it comes with a window). Be sure to drive a hard bargain ... $1500/month or less is about right in my opinion.

Buy a pair of comfy ear plugs, in case you have trouble sleeping thru the vibrations and the high-pitched, high-volume screeching sound from the nearby rail track at night. (the tracks are about 15 yards from the tower)

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-15-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM

14 posts, read 34,971 times
I have PM'd you

Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
I'm not sure how "city-ish" and not "stacked on top of each other" really works... perhaps you can explain what you mean by that. Aren't city-ish places more dense?

Anyway, if you are looking for something close to the city but with some older apartments that are still reasonable, check out 78704 (South Congress, South Lamar, etc). Also central East Austin, lots of artistic types there, but not as safe as west of I-35 (still gentrifying). Depending on where you are coming from, it might seem perfectly safe. Other options would be Hyde Park (again, you'll need to rent in an older place to get a decent deal) and of course downtown itself. I think downtown will probably be the most difficult place to find a deal, though. Unless you can find a hard-up condo owner desperate to rent. Worth a try, though.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I don't know why the OP heard Austin was a happening place for younger people. Well I guess it is if you are a drunk or really into college football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
I've got just the right place for ya -- Spring Condos - brand new - in fact, it's not quite finished yet (even though it was supposed to be done in Spring 2007). It's in the downtown area, close to bars on 6th street (Austin's center of nightlife). It's also close to a new Performing Arts Center and the a popular park, where free concerts are usually held.

Moderator cut: racist comments

Move-in has been scheduled for July 2009 (according to newsletters). But according to my on-site observation as of September 12, nobody has moved in yet. You might get some sort of prize for being the first renter to move in.

You want cheap rent right? You are in luck. Austin's real estate sector has just started its spiral down the toilet. So you will probably get a very generous discount. Go for the smallest efficiency unit (about 530 sq.ft.) that has a walk-in closet (it comes with a window). Be sure to drive a hard bargain ... $1500/month or less is about right in my opinion.

Buy a pair of comfy ear plugs, in case you have trouble sleeping thru the vibrations and the high-pitched, high-volume screeching sound from the nearby rail track at night. (the tracks are about 15 yards from the tower)

Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't know why the OP heard Austin was a happening place for younger people. Well I guess it is if you are a drunk or really into college football.
Maybe the OP was told that Austin was a good place for younger people by people who actually lived here or worked here or went to school here.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 52,643 times
Check in the area just north of Sixth Street between Lamar and Mopac. There are a lot of cool little garage apartments, etc. Rent varies, but you're far enough away from the hustle/bustle of downtown Sixth Street, and still within walking distance of Whole Foods, West Sixth, Amy's, Waterloo, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: