Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 PM

130 posts, read 386,503 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in the new community that is coming up at 78717 zip.
This is kind of funky zip,since it is Austin,TX , use the Brushy Creek MUD resources and RRISD. :-) with 2.8% almost property taxes.

Now, there are only 2 builders there.
1. Streetman homes
2. David Weekly homes.

We are particularly interested in a couple of floorplans.
a. McCoy2 and Briscoe (SH)
b. Arlen (DWH)

I'm soliciting advice on

1. Builder quality and reputation
2. Builder problems and warranty issues faced
3. Generic soil / foundation problems in 78717 zip. (Specially
the house leveling / cracks issues)
4. Any floorplan speicific problems that you have faced.
5. Any other facts to take care.

Your help is highly appreciated.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post
I'm interested in the new community that is coming up at 78717 zip.
This is kind of funky zip,since it is Austin,TX , use the Brushy Creek MUD resources and RRISD. :-) with 2.8% almost property taxes.

Now, there are only 2 builders there.
Your help is highly appreciated.!
Not that I know much about anything, but I wonder why, given the recent economic climate as it relates to new developments, folks would be more interested in a non-existent neighborhood vs an established area with room for new construction.

From your other posts, the location seems to be attractive to you...would Avery Ranch or the Ranch at Brushy Creek be too far away? Our(Avery Ranch) location feels about right in terms of going in any direction without encountering a great deal of traffic--same could be said of RaBC depending on your perspective. There are other fairly well established neighborhoods in the area that still have room for new construction without being the 'first one on the block' in a brand new development. I think things have really changed in the 15 months since we moved here...I would be hesitant to buy/build in a development that wasn't already well established. You're a braver man than I.

Apologies for not answering your question...just had one of my own.

BTW, we are in the city of Austin, 78717, with city utilities for the most part. Our street is on the line between RRISD and LISD.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM

108 posts, read 254,539 times
highland horizon's location is pretty good. I passed that community a few times a week. My only concern about that place is, 620 is very jammed during traffic hours. I just do not how fast I can get to work if I live in highland horizon.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica.ee View Post
My only concern about that place is, 620 is very jammed during traffic hours. I just do not how fast I can get to work if I live in highland horizon.
Not really an issue. They're builiding a road that connects Great Oaks Dr to the 45 Toll Road. It runs right through Highland Horizon. Without traffic, you can be in the heart of downtown in 15-20 minutes.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:28 AM

108 posts, read 254,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Not really an issue. They're builiding a road that connects Great Oaks Dr to the 45 Toll Road. It runs right through Highland Horizon. Without traffic, you can be in the heart of downtown in 15-20 minutes.
Will the coming through traffic be a concern of the community then?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica.ee View Post
Will the coming through traffic be a concern of the community then?
There are concerns as 'far away' as Avery Ranch Blvd. The AR Blvd was not intended to be a major cut-through but the connection of Great Oaks to 45 could really muck things up if more folks decide to take Parmer to AR Blvd to Great Oaks rather than staying on Parmer to 620/45. The Pearson Place development south of AR Blvd but closer to Great Oaks will certainly add to the traffic driving on Great Oaks and OConnor. I've visited the builder sites for Highland Horizon and can't find a decent map. The model home shown leads to an address(on their map) in Avery Ranch! From I-35 north, travel 2.5 miles west on RR 620 and make a left at Great Oaks Tr. From Great Oaks Tr. turn right onto Meridian and left onto Southern Cross Dr. The model home is located on the right at 204 Southern Cross Dr. <<<<This address on Google pops up in AR.

I wonder if anyone has seen plans for the road extension or an actual layout of the development.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 PM

10scoarchick: Not being brave,but using some kind of common-sense. Regarding brand-new development
yes, it is BRAND new,but its just next street acrsoss the RaBC. So,its not a big concern for me. Regarding
the area, yes I do like it. Another one was Sendero Springs,but thats tad farther,considering where I am
currently employed.

Well,thanks for the candid replies,but still I think my questions are un-answered :-)

Old 09-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post
10scoarchick: Not being brave,but using some kind of common-sense. Regarding brand-new development
yes, it is BRAND new,but its just next street acrsoss the RaBC. So,its not a big concern for me. Regarding
the area, yes I do like it. Another one was Sendero Springs,but thats tad farther,considering where I am
currently employed.

Well,thanks for the candid replies,but still I think my questions are un-answered :-)
Yeah, sorry about that lack of response...our home is a Drees and we're generally very happy. I've only 'heard' that Weekly and Streetman are quality builders but there are folks who repeatedly state that the GC and subs are more important than the 'name' on the business. We bought a four-year old house so warranty issues were handled before we moved in. I will say the granite work in the kitchen is the 'weakest' I've seen in a $450k house. There go those subs I mentioned.

Regarding the commute, I'm all for being VERY close to daily work/activities(coming from north Atlanta, we didn't dare do otherwise!). There is a lot of starting and stopping on 620 and Great Oaks...I do wonder if any changes will be made with the new development regarding traffic flow...not everyone will want to use 45.

I might run by the HH development this afternoon...I would like to see what the traffic/road plans are. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Alrite, thanks. Drees has pretty solid reputation. I would put in top 5 for sure. David Weekly,i've been
getting mixed reviews. Streetman reviews are still lesser. One thing is sure, irrespective of the builder, its ultimately some contractor who will build and somebody will do a phase-wise inspection.

Lets see how this one goes, and do talk to both the DW/Streetman folks there and see what they can
quote you. (if you can)... Appreciate your response/time.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM

132 posts, read 542,233 times
The Streetman home I currently live in was built by the same Construction Manager that is building in Highland Horizon. Nice guy and very open to you bringing in you own inspector, he actually encourages it. During the pre-sheet wall inspection the inspector spoke very highly of the build quality of the home. He was talking about the lack of any gusset plates used as well as the design of the home being better than most. I am not a home builder but there is something to be said about a local builder that has not been phased by this market while not cutting prices. They must be doing something right. If you need anymore info on Streetman PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin