Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
Thanks. I consider Paul Krugman one of the few, truly knowledgeable economists in the world.
A great speaker too.....as well as a great populizer of economic theory in his many books.....lastly, his great NYT column......and he has a lot to say about today's real estate market too....

Here's a great recent long article by him in NYT Sunday Mag...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/ma...%20so%20Wrong?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
A great speaker too.....as well as a great populizer of economic theory in his many books.....lastly, his great NYT column......and he has a lot to say about today's real estate market too....

Here's a great recent long article by him in NYT Sunday Mag...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/ma...%20so%20Wrong?
Krugman's NYT column has always been fun to read. (Maureen Dowd's column is fun, too)

I also recommend Joseph Stiglitz, another world class economist and Nobel laureate, like Krugman. People who are beginning to take an interest in economics or world affairs should check out this DVD: Where is the World Going, Mr. Stiglitz?

his website: josephstiglitz.com

Old 09-25-2009, 06:57 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
I also recommend Joseph Stiglitz, another world class economist and Nobel laureate, like Krugman. People who are beginning to take an interest in economics or world affairs should check out this DVD: Where is the World Going, Mr. Stiglitz?

his website: josephstiglitz.com
I clicked on the link but as soon as I saw "University Professor", said "no thanks". University Professors rank at about the bottom of my list of credible sources of information or reasoned thought. Sorry. Others will disagree, and that's fine, but as someone deep in the process of college research as my 11th grader approaches college age, I'm appalled at some of the stuff I'm learning and the people who are entrusted to teach our young adults.

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I clicked on the link but as soon as I saw "University Professor", said "no thanks". University Professors rank at about the bottom of my list of credible sources of information or reasoned thought. Sorry. Others will disagree, and that's fine, but as someone deep in the process of college research as my 11th grader approaches college age, I'm appalled at some of the stuff I'm learning and the people who are entrusted to teach our young adults.

Steve
That's too bad. It seems you could have a stronger argument if you rebutted what Stigler says rather than dismissing him on the basis of his affiliation with a university.

Last edited by Jennibc; 09-25-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
I clicked on the link but as soon as I saw "University Professor", said "no thanks". University Professors rank at about the bottom of my list of credible sources of information
So the crazed misspelled sign carrying masses' conspiracy theories are better? What information do you consider credible? Not the mass media I hope!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So the crazed misspelled sign carrying masses' conspiracy theories are better? What information do you consider credible? Not the mass media I hope!
No, not the mass media either.

I like Krugman (doesn't mean I always agree). I like George Will (though I usually need to have dictionary.com opened up for a word or two), to name two.

If I had to choose a favorite way of learning what people think about matters, it would be through listening to a civil roundtable debate amongst people with opposing views, such that you hear more than one side in context. I also do enjoy a good reasoned commentary but not as much as a point-counterpoint style article with two writers. When driving around I usually listen to Bloomberg News on XM Radio. I like the interviews with economists and different people from the trenches, and the fact that they often contridict one another.

I'm a Libra, I like balance. College Professors don't normally offer balance and most haven't even worked a private sector job. They're "eggheads" who think in theory. I know I'm painting with a broad brush, but a deserved one in my opinion.

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Steve

I suppose that's what you'd call "reasoned thought"???

you sure have an uncontrollable urge to reveal your ignorance and lack of common sense and education with such sweeping radical claims.

say, who is your model intellectual? GW Bush?

how old are you by the way?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
That's too bad. It seems you could have a stronger argument if you rebutted what Stigler says rather than dismissing him on the basis of his affiliation with a university.
Should I also read Libiyan leader Moammar Kadafi's recent 90 minute UN speech before dismissing him as a unworthy of my ear? He probably shares a lot of viewpoints with a lot of college professors, but I don't feel like I need to read his speech to know I don't want to hear what he's saying.

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
No, not the mass media either.

I like Krugman (doesn't mean I always agree). I like George Will (though I usually need to have dictionary.com opened up for a word or two), to name two.
George Will? now that's a poster boy for blabbering idiots, impostor journalists, mindless propagandists, and pseudo-intellectuals.

good job steve

(rest of your post ignored)

Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Actually, as a flaming liberal, I'm going to have to disagree with Austinite45. Will actually backs up his claims with some thought, analysis and intelligence. I totally disagree with him 99.9% of the time, however, its important to have well thought out positions on both sides (and inbetween) to consider.

Since the media thinks that every issue should have a complete adversarial approach to generate ratings, its difficult to get any input from a reasoned middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin