Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 PM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times

Advertisements

We were just informed that when we apply to rent a house through a property manager in Austin, we must submit not only the application fee but also the security deposit. Not that I think we will be rejected but isnt it premature to hand over a substantial sum of money before you are even approved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
We didn't have to do that when we were looking for a rental when we first moved here, but we didn't rent through a "property manager" either. After we were approved we wrote the deposit check. I am assuming that they don't deposit it until you have been approved.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I have a client who is a real estate broker and that is standard procedure in their case. And jennibc is right...they don't cash your check until you have been approved. Just be sure you are using a reputable company.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM

107 posts, read 285,453 times
Just remember...Everything IS NEOGOTIABLE! I would suggest you always have representation when either leasing or purchasing a home. Not just because I am an agent, but because then the landlord or property manager has accountability to someone other than just the Renter. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 PM

67 posts, read 193,099 times
A rental company insisted upon that when we were looking to rent a house. Before we could even wire them the money (as we had returned to Cincinnati at that point), they turned around and rented the house to someone else. Renting a house in Austin is a huge pain in the ass, but I did finally find a nice reasonable realtor/property manager who didn't want to totally 100% screw us. And our credit scores are in the low 800s so I was a bit put off by the harsh treatment.

Also, be sure to google the rental property company to make sure they don't do things like keep your deposit no matter what. We almost handed over a $2,000 deposit to a property manager who we learned does not return deposits and tenants have to sue to get their money back.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,898 times
It's pretty standard procedure for property management companies to request that you pay a security deposit before signing a lease. They want to make sure that you're committed to renting the property. When I was managing my dad's rental properties, we learned the hard way that some people will back out of a lease at the last minute. So, our policy was that we would not take anything off the market until we had at least a security deposit in our hands.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
It's pretty standard procedure for property management companies to request that you pay a security deposit before signing a lease. They want to make sure that you're committed to renting the property. When I was managing my dad's rental properties, we learned the hard way that some people will back out of a lease at the last minute. So, our policy was that we would not take anything off the market until we had at least a security deposit in our hands.
She's asking about having to fork over the money with the application fee. It seems like the company could say, after approval you have 24 hours to get the deposit to us or we can rent to someone else.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
It's the Austin Real Estate community run amock. Too much power-- Too big of a lobby in ABOR and AAA (AUstin Apartment Association).

It was so easy to rent in Connecticut comparitively. I paid a deposit equivilent to 1/2 months rent, the landlord called my references, checked my credit and I signed a lease the next day. I'll pay him the first months rent when I get the keys on October 1. The agents "Professionalism" is what makes these things so difficult. They start with the assumption that every renter is a deadbeat, felon who will destroy the place and won't pay rent and work from there.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
I don't recall having to write the security check until after the app was approved, just a small app fee to cover the credit check. The whole deal was tendered by a real estate agent, too. Maybe he wasn't following the proper procedure; he seemed pretty flighty during the whole thing...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 AM

244 posts, read 865,645 times
I used to be a property manager and the company I worked for also required a security deposit and a signed lease when an application was submitted. It was explained that the lease would only be effective if they were approved. If they weren't approved, they would get their security deposit back and the lease would be void.

We started doing this because so many people would fill out applications and decide to move somewhere else....essentially wasting our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: