Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM

111 posts, read 375,637 times

Advertisements

My family and I are really wanting to relocate to TX. I'm finding that there aren't a lot of people willing to hire outside folks. I'm a Java certified (SCJP 1.5) Software Developer; I have a Bachelor's degree and about 2 years of full on professional software developing experience. Should I just not even try to get some bites down there, or should I contact some recruiters? Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvad242 View Post
My family and I are really wanting to relocate to TX. I'm finding that there aren't a lot of people willing to hire outside folks. I'm a Java certified (SCJP 1.5) Software Developer; I have a Bachelor's degree and about 2 years of full on professional software developing experience. Should I just not even try to get some bites down there, or should I contact some recruiters? Cheers.
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of unemployed software developers like you in Austin. My advice: don't waste your time. Find some other cities, or change your career path.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
For your experience level, I would recommend Triangle Technology. As the previous poster said, there are many, many unemployed software developers in Austin and the recruiters are currently inundated. TT however, also does a lot of outsourcing so they may be able to get you on contracts depending on how badly you want to move and what your financial situation is. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
You might also want to try Jordan at Technology Navigators. She's excellent... But recruiters generally are only as good as the job market... which stinks.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
I think that there's a lot of unemployed engineers period. At least that's how it is out in Sillicon Valley these days. There's just so many of them in general. But- don't let that get you down because there's a lot of unemployed people period. I am doing the same thing as you are and I wound up just looking up "recruiters in Austin" and drilled down to my level of expertise to find a couple of agents. Make sure and tell them you don't need moving assistance. That and if you know of companies you'd like to work for, email them directly. Also- check craigslist and all the other job web sites and apply anyway.

I've actually had some luck with recruiters already.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Have the recruiters set you up on interviews? If so, thats great. I see a lot of recruiters shopping both ends. Increasing their stable of candidates that they can shop to companies that aren't hiring, and doing so by recruiting for jobs that may or may not exist. I wish you the best, but proceed with caution.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Mslassoff,
I have a few interviews. That and I have a few responses from jobs I applied to and have a few phone interviews scheduled.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Mslassoff,
I have a few interviews. That and I have a few responses from jobs I applied to and have a few phone interviews scheduled.
Outstanding! Congratulations!

If you really want it just keep plugging away. It took my husband, an embedded software engineer, about seven months (and in person interviews with four different companies) before he found the right fit. But he got the kind of job he wanted, the money he was looking for, relocation, and as it turns out great coworkers. When I started posting on here in spring of 08 asking about out of area job hunts, some people were helpful, a very few downright nasty, and some kindly telling me that it was never going to happen because you had to know someone here, there were lots of people out of work, yada yada yada. Well, neener, neener, we've been back for eight months now If I'd listened to the naysayers we would still be up in Seattle freezing our arses off in the dreary rain - instead we're down here freezing our arses off in the dreary rain.

Seriously, what is up with this weather? Low nineties last week and 59 degrees yesterday? Brrrr.

Last edited by Jennibc; 09-24-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 27,777 times
Default Recuiters

My husband and I have also been really wanting to move to Austin ( I lived in SA for 9 years) and have been looking in the IT market as my husband has over 22 years experience and was laid off this past Feburary from the Charlotte, NC market. He has had a few telephone interviews though not one face to face. I would first like to say CONGRATULATIONS on being able to attain your goal of living in Austin as well as securing employment and the perks! I would like to know if you could please let me know if you could suggest a recruiting firm you have used or know of that might be able to assist. Any suggestions would be grateful!!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
My husband is a software engineer and was laid off last year but thankfully was able to find a job within 2 months. He said that companies are more likely to hire skilled junior people because they know they can get them at a lower cost than the more experienced and expensive senior people. He worked with several recruiters but was most impressed with the folks at Hire Productivity. He said he worked with a lady by the name of Michele Jacobson. He suggested using the usual job search sites (i.e. monster, careerbuilder, and dice). But he said you should also use linkedin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: