Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:53 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, obviously you're a warrior for tolerance and I am an intolerant SOB. ...
There is truth in every joke, yours included.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1112155883515&id=92a1c54038fbba21 36a8a80833d09d4b&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sciencepunk. com%2fv5%2fgallery%2fjesus_on_raptor.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contramundum View Post
Wait a minute! You mean to tell me there is a city in the US where people openly sneer about Christians? Where were you living?
Seattle, but I am pretty sure you'd find it in San Francisco as well. Anyway, I am sorry to have gotten us so far off topic, the poor woman was just asking about historic neighborhoods and coffee houses. The irony of course, was that initially I was going to write "someplace outside of Austin" but I thought that might seem a little flippant so I didn't. I mean, I like it here a great deal but trying to find every thing in that list will probably be pretty challenging.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
There is truth in every joke, yours included.
Umm... Did I just get "Jesused?" If I did, I think my point is further proven.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
OP, another area you might look in is Barton Hills. Quite a lot of everything at walking/bicycling distance, older (1950's) neighborhood, my son who loves NYC and lived there for several years lived there (in the house we own) for quite a while and was happy there. He did have to drive to get to the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market, though it's possible you could bike to it if there's a back way (I don't know), and to work in North Austin, but you should check it out.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Seattle, but I am pretty sure you'd find it in San Francisco as well. Anyway, I am sorry to have gotten us so far off topic, the poor woman was just asking about historic neighborhoods and coffee houses. The irony of course, was that initially I was going to write "someplace outside of Austin" but I thought that might seem a little flippant so I didn't. I mean, I like it here a great deal but trying to find every thing in that list will probably be pretty challenging.
How do the people of Seattle know who to sneer at? Do the Christians there carry giant crucifixes? Do they walk around with big arrows pointing at them? How do you pick them out of the crowd?

Or is it Christians on the street shoving the bible in your face who are sneered at? Otherwise, how would you know?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
It's possible to sneer at "Christians" just as it's possible to sneer at "Republicans" or "Democrats". You don't have to actually KNOW any, or know anything about them, for that matter, in order for that kind of sneering to go on. You could even be sneering about them TO them and not know it (which makes that kind of prejudice a bit more treacherous to the prejudiced person than the more obvious kinds based on physical attributes, as they can get caught in being prejudiced while pretending that they're the most open-minded of folk); the entire point is to feel superior to someone who is different from you or thinks differently than you do.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Here's the thing- the OP posted about liberal places to live. I can definitely tell you that SF is extremely liberal and if you're looking to rent, the rents are probably right in line with Austin in regards to cost. I rent a whole house for $1,200. You can rent apartments for under $1,000. The trick is to live in one of the East Bay neighborhoods, which is right across the bridge from SF. Most of the neighborhoods are very walkable with all the coffee shops, book stores, etc that you were asking about. In fact, I'm about to go to the grocery store on my bike because the town I live in has bike lanes.

The major drawback is if you want to buy a house its unbelievably expensive. But you sound like you're not interested in that so it might be a good fit. Plus the weather is 60-70 year-round. Perfect.

As far as religion, there's no such thing as non-religious places. Despite living in the Bay Area, there are around 15 churches in the town I live in. People are very liberal here. But some of them actually go to church. I've seldom heard anyone get in somebody's business about their religion. My advice to people is that if you're in a major metro where there's lots of ideas and points of view floating around, keep those things to yourself.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:20 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
To the OP:
I think you are getting pretty good advice as to neighborhoods, but you should also check out the near East-Side - roughly from the Lake to Manor Road and I35 to Airport Boulevard: Racially diverse, walkable neighborhood, mostly small old houses and a few brand new loft type apartment buildings. Great coffee shops - the Farmer's Market downtown will be bikeable. Boggy Creek Farm will also be bikeable, may even be walkable, depending on where you are. Some locals think east of the highway there is scary, but if you have lived in a really big city - it is a walk in the park. Also excellent restaurants with vegetarian options and bars and some live music venues along Cesar Chavez (1st Street), 5th, 6th and 7th Streets, 11th Street and Manor Road itself. Tons of artist studios and increasingly the epicenter for boho, hipster Austin. Dunno about yoga in the neighborhood but there are some great yoga studios downtown that are totally accessible by bike. If you want something quieter and fully gentrified check out the French Place neighborhood just north of Manor Road: there is less stuff to walk to, but the university is h=just across the highway and there are many options there. The North Loop area is also cute, historicish and walkable . Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address can give you a walkability score for any address you type in. (I consider anything over 75 walkable) Austin ain't Brooklyn, but is possible have a fun urban kind of life here if you pick the right neighborhood. Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM

I don't know what people find so charming on the East Side. I frequently drive down East 1st to get to the airport... I'm really unimpressed. I see a few well maintained houses and properties, but these are next door ramshackle residences that are in such bad condition they need to be thrown down. I don't find pawn shops and dive bars that cater to felons and gun toters charming.

There are many, many good honest hardworking families on the East Side... But its a poor area. I know there is some part of the Austin "cool" rules that say that living on the East Side is very virtuous and hip since there are four good Mexican restaurants there, but to me it looks run down, poorly planned with residential homes abutting four story office buildings and generally economically depressed.

I really don't understand the fascination with it.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:56 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Next time get out of your car. There are way more than 4 good mexican restaurants. I would say the Rio-Rita, Shangri-La, Good Knight, East Side Showroom on east 6th is the coolest strip of bars in the city. Cafe Mundi on 5th is the most Austinish coffee shop in the city. Austin's best new French restaurant, Justine's is in the 'hood. The East 11th strip has very good restaurants and a great bar/live music venue - The Longbranch. Sure parts of it are rundown, but its gritty rather than dangerous. There is also a sprinkling of Dwell magazine type new houses and the Swedish Hill area near the French Legation has some of the most beautiful Victorian houses in Austin. Have you ever done the East Austin arts tour? I would say the hippie Austin of people's fantasies is barely hanging on in South Austin and lives strongest on the East Side. And thank God for 12th and Chicon which should be a bulwark against full gentrification for sometime to come. I think it - along with Hyde Park, Clarkesville, Rosedale, SoCo, the University area and downtown are the only places you can live relatively car-free in the city - and the East Side is much more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin