Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
I've spent plenty of time in both cities, and I find the heat in Austin far more tolerable than Phoenix heat. It's all highly personal, I know, but you can usually count on the summer nights in Austin dropping to the mid 70s, which for me is comfortable. Summer nights in Phoenix are just hell for me and seem much hotter.
This is the same impression that we get, as well, although we are not there yet. The nights in Phoenix just do not get cool enough to enjoy an evening out. Our friends who are already there and moved there from Phoenix a few years ago will also agree with you on Phx vs. Austin heat.

That being said, Austin is still going to be extreme heat if you're heat sensitive and the temperature seems to fluctuate A LOT in the winter compared to Phoenix.

But this thread is also not extremely recent, so this may be all moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 09:50 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Let me understand correctly. Artsyguy is picked on because he doesn't get down and worship the city of Austin like so many arrogant people in this town do? This is an OPINIONS board. There are many people who find Austin to be an overrated AVERAGE place at best. Why dont we let people have there opinions rather than WARN others about how "he's an Austinbasher BLA BLA BLA" uuuuggggg.
It simple. Artsyguy doesn't post: summers can be hot and and traffic is sometimes awful and frustrating.

Instead he would post: Austin is hotter than any place in America which makes all the garbage filling the streets stink which you will have to smell for all eight hours it will take you to cross the boring city with nothing to do.

Artsyguys post are almost always extremely exaggerated, frequently dishonest, and never helpful. Most of us welcome honest criticism ALONG with helpful information for newcomers to Austin.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Warning: Do not move to Austin.

There are NO jobs available.
The Best U.S. Cities For Jobs - ABC News

Quote:
The traffic is hellish at all times of the day. You cannot get anywhere without a car.
Eh, if you live in an apartment or house in or close to downtown this isn't such a big deal, but yeah Austin's pretty spread out, and the traffic can get pretty bad.

Quote:
The city is overcrowded similar to a village in China.
Are you even serious?

Quote:
The Democrats are highly traditional and two-faced. They are not your status quo liberals from San Fransisco. The city is run like The Soviet Union. Don't believe me? Then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbnoDkS36Dc
Honestly dude? Okay, so the cop was clearly an idiot and a jackass, but...okay, are you joking around here? Because I don't see how you could possibly say something this ridiculous.

Quote:
Everybody literally worships The University of Texas at Austin as if it were a God. It is like a sick and demented religion there. You cannot oppose or question The University because they will have people come after you. Literally. The campus looks like The Gaza Strip.
That's called pride in a college football team and it's the same everywhere you go, though specifically in the South and Midwest. And your ridiculousness continues to amuse me. But I'm going to see this job through.

Quote:
There is NO arts district at all. There is NO culture. The music is nothing special. The mini-Zoo is falling apart at the seams.
Okay I'll agree with you about the zoo, it's nothing special at all. But c'mon, art is all over this city! South Congress? Hyde Park? That's where the real eclecticism thrives! And the local music may be an acquired taste, but c'mon we've got SXSW, Austin City Limits and other events that draw some pretty big names in music.

Quote:
The businesses are corrupt and two-faced like Enron.
Maybe.

Quote:
The people are lame. They think seeing bats taking dumps under a bridge and getting high and drunk on 6th street is "fun". There is a transgendered man named Leslie that people mock and hate.
The people here are friendly, dude, c'mon do you even live here? The bats aren't the most exciting thing in the world, but it's interesting to see once or twice. 6th Street is where you go on a Friday or Saturday night to get messed up and just be an idiot (not that I'm recommending that behavior, but every now and then it's a blast). And be serious, c'mon I'd be walking down 2nd Street and carloads of people would call out and wave to Leslie. That guy's the embodiment of "Keep Austin Weird." Hell, he ran for mayor in 2000 and got like 8% of the vote!

Quote:
The heat in Austin is pure Hell 8 months out of the year.
You bet your ass!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 AM

17 posts, read 46,916 times
I lived in Phoenix for 25 years. I have been in Austin for 5 years...Austin is way better than Phoenix. The people are alot nicer in Austin. The weather is ALOT cooler here even on the hottest days. Phoenix is H-O-T. The crime in Phoenix is horrible and people are shocked when I tell them about it...We feel ALOT safer in Austin.

The people really are alot nicer in Austin. We love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin