Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I see Austin as San Antonio's biggest suburb in the next 10 to 15 years. The city will get a Trump Tower
Actually Austin is on the cusp of having a bigger economy with 400,000 fewer people so it might actually be the other way around..................(Not hating on SA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 10:44 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,259,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
I'm not understanding why people are considering the Latinos in Austin, or in Texas in general white.

While I do understand that people of Hispanic heritage come from a random assortment of all sorts of ethnicities, and I also know that there are still some pure blooded people all over Latin America (the Natives in Costa Rica, Asians from Chile, White Europeans from Argentina and Afro Brazilians, to name a few)...

...but the vast majority of the Latinos I've encountered in Texas (and much of the Southwest) have ranged from tan/olive to brown skinned. I've rarely came across 'pure' white Latinos out there, and even the lighter skinned Hispanics were still a shade or two darker than the Anglos I've met there.

Even if they are considered to be white Caucasians, their language and cultural barriers skew more to Mexico, and that alone would place them in a completely different race. And artsyguy is right. A lot of the Caucasians from Spain tend to have more of an olive/tan appearance (I keep on forgetting that Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz are from Europe).

Enough with the rant, I agree that it would be cool to see an increase of blacks to the city. And know that Asians are booming there, which is awesome, but it feels kinda strange for a city for its size and location to be lacking in the African American department.

Besides that, I'd love to see a big push towards opening up more art districts, theaters and museums. Because the art scene there is pretty bogus and almost nonexistant. At least Austin has some great music!
I'm sure this will get bounced for being OT, but what do you consider Italians and Portugese? Arabs? Most are olive skinned. Just wondering. They are categorized as caucasian, too. I wish Austin had more of an international vibe- I'd love to see more influx from Europe and the Middle East.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:56 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,456,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm sure this will get bounced for being OT, but what do you consider Italians and Portugese? Arabs? Most are olive skinned. Just wondering. They are categorized as caucasian, too. I wish Austin had more of an international vibe- I'd love to see more influx from Europe and the Middle East.
I miss linguica more than anything else since moving here from SF.

O/T, but sooo true ...

Old 10-23-2009, 03:31 PM

145 posts, read 183,004 times
Everyone keeps saying how SA and Austin will merge, but I disagree. There is simply too much distance between these cities for them to ever form a contigual metropolitan area.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:43 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,016,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Actually Austin is on the cusp of having a bigger economy with 400,000 fewer people so it might actually be the other way around..................(Not hating on SA)
No offended but SA is on the verge of another boom and Austin will be its largest suburb in the next 15 years, followed by Hayes and Comal counties

Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,846,479 times
Quote:
No offended but SA is on the verge of another boom and Austin will be its largest suburb in the next 15 years, followed by Hayes and Comal counties
No offending, but SA doesn't have enough water to support that kind of growth, aside from the fact that its absurd to think it could grow that fast.

And even if it did, SA would be the ghetto and Austin would be the most popular neighborhood. And it would still have more water. No offending...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:28 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,101,395 times
They are way too far apart. About the same distance as San Diego to LA and San Diego is not part of the greater LA area.

Possibly a better comparison is Sacramento and San Francisco. Since Sacramento is the captial as well.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,016,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No offending, but SA doesn't have enough water to support that kind of growth, aside from the fact that its absurd to think it could grow that fast.

And even if it did, SA would be the ghetto and Austin would be the most popular neighborhood. And it would still have more water. No offending...
Why would you think SA would be the ghetto? Because Sa has more pockets of poor neighborhoods but it also has more pockets of wealthy neighborhoods and middle class neighborhoods than Austin. The neighborhoods and streets in SA are far superior than Austin. Austin new highrise boom is the bomb though. This area will become one big populated area. Why offend each other lets fight together.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,768,010 times
Too much cartel influence in San Antonio, too much drug money funding 'legitimate' businesses. When the Feds go wholesale after the cartels San Antonio is going to take a major economic hit. People as a whole would be shocked at just how much money the cartels pump into Texas. That ridiculously cheap Mexican restaurant you like is probably a money laundering operation for the cartels.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:48 PM

145 posts, read 183,004 times
Quote:
Why would you think SA would be the ghetto? Because Sa has more pockets of poor neighborhoods but it also has more pockets of wealthy neighborhoods and middle class neighborhoods than Austin. The neighborhoods and streets in SA are far superior than Austin. Austin new highrise boom is the bomb though. This area will become one big populated area. Why offend each other lets fight together.
Um, not quite. San Antonio's middle class is oddly placed, and Austin is still a wealthier city. Also Austin has a more educated population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin