Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,125,137 times

Advertisements

This has to be one of the most tragic stories I have read in a while. I'm not sure why I felt compelled to share it.

Something to Say (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/veronicaflores/2009/10/bicyclists-on-the-road-treated.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 AM

145 posts, read 184,205 times
Tragic.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
It IS very tragic, but one thing that bothers me about that article is that it's about anger because Perry vetoed the 300 ft law (or is it 30? better go look again). I'm not so sure that's going to cure the problem. I think a bigger bill should be written, but it should include making actual bike lanes and cycling paths so bikers don't have to be riding in the road. Like someone who commented below the article, I just don't like road cycling and prefer to ride trails personally. On the other hand, I find it mind boggling that so many drivers veer off the road into other people? I'm starting to believe there should be stiffer penalties for it. No excuse for not paying attention.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:35 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
It is tragic, but I don't really believe that the legislation cited in the story would have changed anything. While I would generally support the legislation, I suppose, there is a quote:
Quote:
While there was no guarantee that drivers' behavior would change, the legislation last spring offered some hope that motorists would be more thoughtful about how they behave
Motorists aren't going to be legislated into being more thoughtful. There is an issue at a more fundemental level regarding personal behaviour, responsibility, and empathy that is way too common in our culture.

On the other hand, the passing of the law would potentially increase the penalty for these incidents, although that does not actually help the cyclist much.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM

139 posts, read 350,921 times
Last night I stopped at three drinks for fear of a ticket on the way home, so you could say I was legislated into being more thoughtful.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 AM

22 posts, read 40,568 times
We stop at ONE drink here in Arizona. You have to do 10 days mandatory in jail while wearing the famous pink underwear that "Sheriff Joe" has you wear. If your unlucky, you have to sleep in the huge tent that he has for the inmates, rain or shine with no AC in the summer.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Lame blog post. The houston chronicle detailed the accident as follows:

HELOTES, Texas — A couple on a bicycle built for two died after their tandem cycle was struck by a pickup in northwest Bexar (BAYR) County.
Sheriff's Deputy Ino Badillo identified the victims as 42-year-old Gregory Bruehler and his 36-year-old wife, Alexandra Bruehler. She was dead at the scene. He died later at a hospital.
Badillo says the Bruehlers were peddling southbound on Texas 16 when a pickup driven by Gilbert John Sullaway Jr. of Helotes (hel-OH'-tis) struck them from behind.
Investigators believe the 40-year-old driver lost control of his truck, overcorrected and hit the tandem bicycle.
Badillo says the wreck late Thursday morning appears to have been an accident and no charges are likely.

How is a safe distance law going to protect bikers from accidents, or vehicles that have lost control? I do feel bad that the parents died leaving a young child, too bad jerks are using this story for a political agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It IS very tragic, but one thing that bothers me about that article is that it's about anger because Perry vetoed the 300 ft law (or is it 30? better go look again). I'm not so sure that's going to cure the problem. I think a bigger bill should be written, but it should include making actual bike lanes and cycling paths so bikers don't have to be riding in the road. Like someone who commented below the article, I just don't like road cycling and prefer to ride trails personally. On the other hand, I find it mind boggling that so many drivers veer off the road into other people? I'm starting to believe there should be stiffer penalties for it. No excuse for not paying attention.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
It's actually 3 feet.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post

HELOTES, Texas — A couple on a bicycle built for two died after their tandem cycle was struck by a pickup in northwest Bexar (BAYR) County.
Sheriff's Deputy Ino Badillo identified the victims as 42-year-old Gregory Bruehler and his 36-year-old wife, Alexandra Bruehler. She was dead at the scene. He died later at a hospital.
Badillo says the Bruehlers were peddling southbound on Texas 16 when a pickup driven by Gilbert John Sullaway Jr. of Helotes (hel-OH'-tis) struck them from behind.
Investigators believe the 40-year-old driver lost control of his truck, overcorrected and hit the tandem bicycle.
Badillo says the wreck late Thursday morning appears to have been an accident and no charges are likely.

How is a safe distance law going to protect bikers from accidents, or vehicles that have lost control? I do feel bad that the parents died leaving a young child, too bad jerks are using this story for a political agenda.
You're right, no law would have made a difference if it was a case of someone losing control of his car. That's why I don't ride bikes on city streets, it's just not worth the risk.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post

The Chronicle article definitely gives more info than the SA blog post. (thanks for posting this)

Traveling on Highway 16 (a 65-70mph road that meanders up & down thru the hill country). It's a growing area with lots of cars & trucks in a hurry. (think Highway 71 between the Galleria & Spicewood....or 620 between Steiner & Anderson Mill)

Everyone feels (very) sorry for the little girl. But riding on THAT road (on a tandem bike) is dumb. It might be legal....but it's a numbers game before a bike rider is hit....& for two parents to get hit on the same bike is a dumb tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin