Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,990,062 times

Advertisements

America's Smartest Cities—From First to Worst - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-04/americas-smartest-cities---from-first-to-worst/?cid=bs:archive9#gallery=787;page=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:15 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,551,059 times
" By far the smartest city in Texas, by our measure, it only fell short in one ironic area: political engagement. "

I was whisked away into a city by city slide show before I could check their methodology...and now I'm not interested anymore.

EDIT:
UT is a HUGE (public) institution though...so I have no doubt people move here to take advantage of the cheap education...whether they stay to work and raise families is debatable. I think most young, intelligent people want public areas, anti-sprawl laws, Gay marriage, logical marijuana laws, and a stuff like that.

But what do I know?

It's also very 'affordable' to live here.

Last edited by brubaker; 10-11-2009 at 12:26 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,605,560 times
I'm surprised that some of the cities in that list ranked as low as they did.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
" By far the smartest city in Texas, by our measure, it only fell short in one ironic area: political engagement. "

I was whisked away into a city by city slide show before I could check their methodology...and now I'm not interested anymore.

EDIT:
UT is a HUGE (public) institution though...so I have no doubt people move here to take advantage of the cheap education...whether they stay to work and raise families is debatable. I think most young, intelligent people want public areas, anti-sprawl laws, Gay marriage, logical marijuana laws, and a stuff like that.

But what do I know?

It's also very 'affordable' to live here.
One of the reasons that Austin has grown so much (and at one time, maybe still, had the highest number of attorneys per capita and the most bartenders with advanced degrees, including law degrees) is that people have, for as long as I've been around, come here for school and then didn't want to leave so they stayed and took whatever jobs they could find just so they could stay in Austin and live here and raise their families. So I'm not sure, unless something has changed drastically recently, I'd say your guess is off base.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:58 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,218,944 times
Austin might be rated the 3rd smartest but these studies should be rated the dumbest and biggest waste of money. Then add to this who did the ratings..???

Nita

Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,509,658 times
Houston is way at the bottom because the author believes Houston doesn't have enough postsecondary education opportunities within the city. The author completely ignores the fact that we are the oil capital of the country, which means we have a lot of engineers, chemists and other scientists. Also, we have one of the largest medical centers in the world, which means we have a disproportionate amount of medical professionals and doctors. Also, I would have to say the fact Salt Lake City is ranked almost as highly as Austin just goes to show the author has never been to Salt Lake City.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM

73 posts, read 147,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Houston is way at the bottom because the author believes Houston doesn't have enough postsecondary education opportunities within the city. The author completely ignores the fact that we are the oil capital of the country, which means we have a lot of engineers, chemists and other scientists. Also, we have one of the largest medical centers in the world, which means we have a disproportionate amount of medical professionals and doctors. Also, I would have to say the fact Salt Lake City is ranked almost as highly as Austin just goes to show the author has never been to Salt Lake City.
Have you been to Salt Lake City? I live here, and we're quite well educated, thank you very much.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:15 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,303,197 times
Well this is no surprise. Austin is also ranked in the top 20 fittest cities and the fastest growing city of 2009. The public education system in Austin is also the highest ranked out of any major city in Texas. They are just really set up for success here. I can see this everyday.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:17 AM

302 posts, read 687,950 times
I love it when the city is ranked highly for something (fairly or not), and folks from other cities jump into the Austin forum to flame the results and the city itself!

Bitterness and jealousy does not become thee, other cities...

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM

172 posts, read 514,601 times
Arbitrary criteria...this ranking doesn't really say anything....

I wonder if Austin might be #1 in the country for mustaches per square mile? That would be important to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin