Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 AM

11 posts, read 63,445 times

Advertisements

I am from seattle and I got an apartment in some place called the Bee Caves...is it a nice area and how long of a commute would it be from downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:40 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Bee Cave is a nice place but I wouldn't want to be commuting from there to downtown every day. I was out there last weekend and I live just north of downtown. I took 2244 (Bee Caves Road) to Mopac (Loop 1) and then home. I think it took 30 minutes and that was on Sunday. I don't commute so I have no idea how long that would take during rush hour or if there's a better route. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM

11 posts, read 63,445 times
Thanks, yeah I'm still not sure how its going to be. The place where I am working is in South Austin out somewhere near Congress (I'm not sure what that is but it seems to be mentioned quite a bit) so hopefully I not going to have to go through downtown.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:38 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Bee Caves is a quite scenic area, and not far from downtown mileage-wise.. but traffic-wise, it can be pretty bad, due to the many upscale hill country communities in the area... and the giant hill country galleria being built, etc. The road infrastructure just wasn't made for the number of people living in that area.

However, if you are commuting anywhere from Bee Caves... South Congress area is about the easiest. So you may have gotten lucky with that. I'd imagine ultimately you will want to move in closer to town, but you'll probably like it in Bee Caves. Nice scenery, very safe, but no nightlife to speak of.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:03 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
how long of a commute would it be from downtown?
If coming in to work in the morning rush, you'll need 45 minutes +/-. Afternoon heading home will vary by day of week and time of the afternoon.

There is not a good direct freeway route. You can either drive Bee Cave Rd. (2244) all the way to Mopac, then north to 1st or 5th street and east into downtown. Or you can take Hwy 71 to SW Parkway to Mopac to Ben White to S. Congress and north on S. Congree into downtown. Or Hwy 71 thru Oak Hill to Ben White and S. Congress.

Unless you have a good reason reason to be way out there, it's not the best location to be commuting to downtown from. It is a nice area though.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:51 PM

102 posts, read 384,862 times
How about biking? would I be taking my fragile life in my hands, to bike from Bee Cave to Beardsley Ave? Car culture doesn't interest me. Yeah, I grew up in Austin. We've been in Germany with the Army for the last 6 years. Done serving our country (officially anyway), time to go home.

Additionally, we'd be interested in any atheist/secular humanist groups we could support in the area. And, yes, I'd like to hear about where I can get good highlights too (even if I decide to cut it all off in the heat!)

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyNUTichiros View Post
Thanks, yeah I'm still not sure how its going to be. The place where I am working is in South Austin out somewhere near Congress (I'm not sure what that is but it seems to be mentioned quite a bit) so hopefully I not going to have to go through downtown.
This is my commute, too.
I live off of South Congress and work a bit further west than Bee Cave.
My commute during rush hour is steadily 25-30 minutes.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
You can also get to downtown by going South on Loop 360 and then picking up Mopac north and you eliminate the painful drive through Westlake. There has been a huge amount of growth in the Bee Cave area in the last 10 years and no extra roads or lanes to accomodate all the additional cars. If you're lucky enough to be further south on Congress, Loop 360 takes you to Hwy 71 (Ben White) and you can exit onto Congress. I live off 360 near Bee Cave and commuted to S Austin near South Congress and it only took 20 minutes. The further into town you need to go, obviously the worse it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: