Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 07:26 AM

23 posts, read 146,486 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate college and I'm looking to relocate. I currently live in the heart of downtown Milwaukee but I can’t endure the Wisconsin winters anymore. There’s a lot of things I love about Milwaukee and would like to find some similar qualities in another city. I love living in the heart of a bustling city. I’ve heard both Austin and San Antonio are very nice. I’d appreciate any thought or input. I’d like to live in a downtown district. I’m not interested in settling down and moving to the suburbs quite yet. I’m in my early 20’s and Milwaukee has a great nightlife. I’d like to be in a city with a comparable nightlife.

Also, I’ll be graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering and I’ve heard Austin is an epicenter for tech industry and has a high demand for engineers. Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
You should be looking at Austin and Houston, not Austin and San Antonio. There are many engineering jobs in Houston. But out of Austin and SA, choose Austin.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
There is a demand for mechanical engineers in just about any of the big Texas cities. I believe that Dallas probably employees quite a few, too, and is not a bad place for a young college graduate. Austin is heavily into the EE and ChemE, but there is always some demand for ME.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Having also lived in Houston, I would also recommend it as an alternative. Great nightlife downtown now. There is a lot of redevelopment happening and although small, it also has a railline. Austin is great, too. I like San Antonio, but I'm not sure it's as bustling as Austin.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 AM

42 posts, read 444,810 times
If you live in Houston you HAVE to have a car. The "rail line" only goes from downtown to the Astrodome (Reliant) so unless you live downtown or midtown then it's useless. Public transportation doesn't go to all suburbs or very few and most of the 600 square miles of the city is suburbs. Used to have a cool Montrose neighborhood but it's virtually destroyed since the mid 1990's when lots of historic homes were torn down to put up townhouses 4 or more on one lot which cost $400,000 each! Yuppies took over.

I wouldn't describe the nightlife in downtown Houston as great. Also, parking is outrageous now that there are things to do downtown. Also, a scam to park since lots are rented out for weekends and they demand your keys. If you don't come back at a certain time they tow your car and want $200 to give it back. I learned about this the hard way.

Also now if you have a flat or car trouble and are on the side of the freeway inside Houston City Limits they tow your car and you have no choice but to let them. It's the LAW. Big scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: