Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 12,168 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from the Boston area to Austin. We have family in Steiner Ranch and would likely look for a home in that area. We're learning about the schools and the climate, etc. But I'm wondering what people in the Austin suburbs do? I have a monthly book group here that I love, my husband plays poker a couple times a month with buddies in the neighborhood. We have couples over for dinner every month, go out to restaurants (never chains) about once a month. We're educated and opinionated and like a good argument with friends now and then! My nephew who lives there mentioned that they went to a neighborhood party once and the adults were doing cocaine and meth. That kind of freaked us out, wondering what we might be getting into.

Any glimpses you can provide into your social life would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momom View Post
We are considering a move from the Boston area to Austin. We have family in Steiner Ranch and would likely look for a home in that area. We're learning about the schools and the climate, etc. But I'm wondering what people in the Austin suburbs do? I have a monthly book group here that I love, my husband plays poker a couple times a month with buddies in the neighborhood. We have couples over for dinner every month, go out to restaurants (never chains) about once a month. We're educated and opinionated and like a good argument with friends now and then! My nephew who lives there mentioned that they went to a neighborhood party once and the adults were doing cocaine and meth. That kind of freaked us out, wondering what we might be getting into.

Any glimpses you can provide into your social life would be very helpful. Thanks!
My wife is in two book clubs (very suburbia no meth/coke), has a cookie exchange and more than a few christmas parties. There is a lot of poker, a few dinner clubs and the neighbors all sit on their driveways (every day) and hang out in the cul de sac.

Sitting in the driveway was quite new to me, but very neighborly.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
That is a good question...let me go back slightly in time before the baby...
My wife cycles quite a bit, probably two to three times a week, either by herself or with a group of friends. On the weekends, this turns into the weekend brunch meeting afterward. I play volleyball two times a week (one of the times is an overlap with the cycling group ). For less strenuous entertianment, my wife is a quite accomplished potter and happily makes 'stuff' - mugs, vases, plates and dishes, bird feeders, etc. I have a poker group that meets irregularly for Tx Hold 'em followed by a wee bit of X-Box. Once or twice a year we have a group that goes camping (the cycling/vball group) and one that goes to Port A and the beach (the poker group).

We are addicted 'diner outters', and the regular rotation included Waterloo Ice House, Maudies, and Giss', which are all close by and are locally owned. Thai Spice, the Clay Pit, Madam Maams, and Chuys are also on the longer rotation.

As for book clubs and such, I am sure there are a zillion social groups out there. I have lived here for, well, basically forever, and my wife has been here 10+ years, so we have a pretty large network of friends and haven't really gotten into any 'organized' groups. Outdoors stuff aplenty, though (if you don't mind a little heat).

Edit: As for the drugs, I personally no longer know anyone involved. When I waited tables, pot was quite prevelant, but most people pretty much outgrew it...or kept waiting tables forever .

Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
and the neighbors all sit on their driveways (every day) and hang out in the cul de sac.
I gotta say I love this about my neighborhood. All the neighbors are out on the sidewalks with their kids in the afternoon, having a beer (the adults, anyway), and just hanging out. It is pretty much a nowhere street, so the only people driving on it are the people that live on it.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Can you tell I'm lurking here waiting for replies?! Is this driveway/sidewalk culture in Steiner Ranch specifically or all around. ( I sound like I live on Mars...)

Old 05-08-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Can you tell I'm lurking here waiting for replies?! Is this driveway/sidewalk culture in Steiner Ranch specifically or all around. ( I sound like I live on Mars...)
It really depends on your neighborhood. I am in SW Austin, not Steiner, but I think it is more specific to the neighborhoods with lots of kids, or at least more common there. The kids want to get out, so the adults go with em. Now, you don't have to have kids to go out and join, thoiugh. Steiner is heavy on young families (as is SW Austin), so it does not surprise me that the is a little 'King of the Hill' going on there, as well .

Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
I live in the neighborhood next to Steiner (River Place) and I can second that many of the areas here in town are very "out in the driveway" kind of places. Our kids are always out with us and the other neighboring parents and kids in the late afternoon. It's one of the things I love about these Austin family neighborhoods, as we moved from a very backyard-centric place, Phoenix.

As far as meth/coke at parties...well, I have been to numerous social events here in River Place and never even heard drugs mentioned let alone seen any.I have friends in Steiner that have never mentioned such a thing either.

People here definitely love to have some cocktails and relax, and I am sure drugs are available if you look for them, but overall the parents here seem to be very responsible and drugs are not prevalent.

We are involved in a couples poker night, I have playgroups with my kids, there are ladies nights out I go to, I work out 4 mornings a week and play in a tennis league on Fridays and a lot more. We have a country club in our community, and a lot of our social events are geared toward the club - movie nights at the pool, cocktail hours, etc. But there are tons of Bunko groups, book clubs, etc. here as well. I am literally out of time to join anything else as I am so busy with the few things I have. If you're bored here in Austin, you're probably not trying hard enough!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
gigi is right. I'm way out here in Hutto and my neighborhood also has lots of people out walking, hanging out in the driveway, sitting on the front porch visiting with the neighbors thing, having a beer, or whatever you like to drink. We have movies/concerts in the park, playgroups (I have my daughter in 2), a bunco group. You might want to check out meetup.com as it has lots of local groups/clubs for just about anything you want to do. We also do not like to go to chain resturaunts, and try a new one every weekend or so. We have a boat, so go to the Lake a lot in the summer (There are no alligators). If you lived in Houston, there is always a possibility, but so far not here So I believe the sidewalk culture is all around town...Not exclusive to Steiner. It is also a southern thing. For as long as I can remember, even my grandparents and great grandparents knew all their neighbors and were always hanging out in someones front yard or porch.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the information. Sounds like what my nephew experienced at the party was an isolated situation. One of our big concerns about relocating is making certain our kids (and we) get acclimated and socialized. It's so much easier when everyone is out and about.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
O.K, I just totally cracked myself up! I just reread my post about my great grandparents and grandparents always hanging out in someones front yard or porch, and I made it sound like they were lurkers or peeping toms! Sorry about that I meant it to sound more like what Trainwrecked was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin