U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
 
1 posts, read 8,211 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Waters Wells and Septic Systems Good Advice Appreciated

I live in Austin, looking to build in around Dripping Springs, or Hays county some where.

Can anyone provide me with a Rough figure as to the cost of a typical septic system, and drilling a water well? I know many factors come into play but I need a rough idea of what these systems would cost if one were to start with only bare acreage.

Thanks for your help,

Matt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
9,248 posts, read 25,395,524 times
Reputation: 2829
I may not be quite right here, but someone can jump in and correct me. I am thinking I heard that it costs about $5,000 to dig a well. I may be thinking of when my dad was having to redig or clean out the sand in my grandmothers existing well, and that was a quote he got. Of course, she lives outside of Tyler, so the cost may be different there than here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2007, 07:51 PM
 
2,238 posts, read 8,617,970 times
Reputation: 953
In DS, you want to drill DEEP. I've heard of wells out there going dry before the house was even finished being built.

$5K sounds awful cheap for a water well. I think septics start at $10K or so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,673 posts, read 10,184,649 times
Reputation: 5565
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
In DS, you want to drill DEEP. I've heard of wells out there going dry before the house was even finished being built.

$5K sounds awful cheap for a water well. I think septics start at $10K or so.
yeah, wells are higer than that. $5K will only buy a fairly shallow well. Septics also can get pricey depending on how the land perks. I put one in in 98 on clay soil in low ground 1/5 mile from a river. I got a bargain price cause the guy lived close to me and I was in betwen him and his primary subdivision. It ran me $4500 for a dual field, gravity system with a 1500 gallon tank. I got a number of quotes between $6-9K for single field or aerobic systems. I did not like the idea of the aerobic system because of the many things that can go wrong with the equipment and the much higer cost of the system certification and annual inspections required by Bastrop County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,974 times
Reputation: 10
Hi,
Thanks for the information.

Just bought in Garfield and need a septic system. I'm sure we can use a gravity system. Can you suggest a contractor?

Thanks again,
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
yeah, wells are higer than that. $5K will only buy a fairly shallow well. Septics also can get pricey depending on how the land perks. I put one in in 98 on clay soil in low ground 1/5 mile from a river. I got a bargain price cause the guy lived close to me and I was in betwen him and his primary subdivision. It ran me $4500 for a dual field, gravity system with a 1500 gallon tank. I got a number of quotes between $6-9K for single field or aerobic systems. I did not like the idea of the aerobic system because of the many things that can go wrong with the equipment and the much higer cost of the system certification and annual inspections required by Bastrop County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 80,813,775 times
Reputation: 27699
Quote:
Originally Posted by anvilbob View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the information.

Just bought in Garfield and need a septic system. I'm sure we can use a gravity system. Can you suggest a contractor?

Thanks again,
Bobby
Better check with the county to make sure.
I built in Travis county in 1999 and just made it under the wire with my gravity system (plans already had been approved) before the new rules on septics came into force. The folks around me that built after me all had aerobic systems put in. Don't know though if that was the rule or they just preferred that. I like the gravity because there's no moving parts to break ..just get'er pumped out every few years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top