Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 15,155 times

Advertisements

i live near an event center south of dripping springs - Memory Lane Event Center, and Memory Lane Weddings. We, the neighbors are having the same low vibration sound/noise. (google complaints to see other neighbors postings).

personally i understand the health concerns. for every event that i can hear and feel inside my home, i've lost sleep. this has had a cumulative effect of chronic sleep deprivation. low sound vibration travels very far and if you google sleep deprivation you'd understand how insidious it is. it causes all kinds of health issues, like attention deficit disorder, blurred vision and inability to focus, not the least of which is danger when using large machinery; like cars.

another point is low sound vibration has actually been used as a substantiated torture technique. it's awful and unless you've experienced it, you just don't understand.

our constitution states that we, as citizens, are entitled to peace and quiet within our homes. this should be everyone's concern first. not whether you can have a loud and raucous time out in 'the country'.

i suggest folks understand that we are entitled to peace and quiet within our homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Obviously, I don't know that much about it,I don't live near there at all. I was just making a statement about how important sleep is for a child and that's it's not an exaggeration to say that anything that keeps the kiddos from getting their 10 hours of sleep a night is interfering with their development. Don't get me started about the early school start times in this city
We lived in DC, right in the middle of it, with two babies. We heard horns, firetrucks, music, people, dogs, cats, the sidewalk musicians, you name it, right outside our building. Our kids slept through it all...and they grew up just fine. What do kids in the rest of the world do?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:28 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
We lived in DC, right in the middle of it, with two babies. We heard horns, firetrucks, music, people, dogs, cats, the sidewalk musicians, you name it, right outside our building. Our kids slept through it all...and they grew up just fine. What do kids in the rest of the world do?
The key here is that your kids slept right through it. So the noise you report didn't affect your children's ability to get their 10 hours of sleep a night. If you go back and read my comment you'll note that I wrote "I was just making a statement about how important sleep is for a child and that's it's not an exaggeration to say that anything that keeps the kiddos from getting their 10 hours of sleep a night is interfering with their development." I am not sure how your assertion has any bearing on what I wrote.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:

I would argue those things do not have the same sound wave as the low vibration. The low vibration, I believe, is felt deep within the body. Dogs, cats, firetrucks, horns, musicians, I believe are on another frequency. The low boom, boom, boom...is a whole nuther story.

Also, repeated boom, boom, boom, is torturous.

It has nothing to do with "loud". Actually, the boom can be rather discreet and quiet but still be felt. I would describe it like the insides of your body being electrically shocked.

If the whole thing were ever go to a courtroom it would not be difficult to demonstrate to a jury. Haul in those huge boomers and let them decide. Subject them to about 30 minutes of it non stop.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Yes. Children, if allowed to be so, tend to be very adaptable to their environment. This is, of course, assuming that their parents don't make a big deal out of sounds so that they KNOW that they're supposed to be upset (or, just as likely, can use the noise as an excuse for not sleeping). Children are also very attuned to what their parents think about things and how they are expected to react (survival trait, that one), and that that's not always what the parents say they want, or even believe they want - sometimes the kids are supposed to be an excuse (but it's for the chilllldrrruuunnnn!!!!! used as an excuse to control other people while not acknowledging that particular propensity in oneself) and they know it and will act accordingly in order to please their parents.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:00 AM

I think this issue is about two different wave lengths. One is the wavelength of every day sounds, per the other post. The other is the wavelength of the sound coming from a "boomer", a much lower frequency.

What happens in this argument is one camp tries to demonize the other as "music haters", "controllers", and the like.

To me it has nothing to do with "music". It isn't music at all we're talking about but a frequency.

However, after saying all that I can be wrong as well and not have a grasp on what it is that is being said.

It's all my interpretation and it might be skewed as well.

And actually, I think as far as the "control" issue...we're in the same boat. Somewhere we all have that sense of control and at times fail to see it within ourselves. I think it's called being human. I'm not sure I've met anyone yet that is free of their own bias. I've met people that can operate without their own but they have a set of laws and rules they go by. Is anyone ever really free of their own, personal "stuff"?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I think this issue is about two different wave lengths. One is the wavelength of every day sounds, per the other post. The other is the wavelength of the sound coming from a "boomer", a much lower frequency.

What happens in this argument is one camp tries to demonize the other as "music haters", "controllers", and the like.

To me it has nothing to do with "music". It isn't music at all we're talking about but a frequency.

However, after saying all that I can be wrong as well and not have a grasp on what it is that is being said.

It's all my interpretation and it might be skewed as well.

And actually, I think as far as the "control" issue...we're in the same boat. Somewhere we all have that sense of control and at times fail to see it within ourselves. I think it's called being human. I'm not sure I've met anyone yet that is free of their own bias.
Absolutely! That's why I've often said (and I think on here) that when seeking out information on a particular topic, I try to find the least-biased sites possible (not always easy!) and then I examine them for bias and validity, and I especially carefully examine the ones that support what I know I'd like to believe, because I'm aware that I'm all to liable, like anyone else, to give something that supports my bias a pass that I wouldn't give something that supports the other side.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes. Children, if allowed to be so, tend to be very adaptable to their environment. This is, of course, assuming that their parents don't make a big deal out of sounds so that they KNOW that they're supposed to be upset (or, just as likely, can use the noise as an excuse for not sleeping). Children are also very attuned to what their parents think about things and how they are expected to react (survival trait, that one), and that that's not always what the parents say they want, or even believe they want - sometimes the kids are supposed to be an excuse (but it's for the chilllldrrruuunnnn!!!!! used as an excuse to control other people while not acknowledging that particular propensity in oneself) and they know it and will act accordingly in order to please their parents.
Please go get the book Nurture Shock and read the chapter "The Lost Hour" and note that the ten hours of sleep requirement is backed up by scientific research - wish I had the book with me here so that I could cite the studies relied upon so that you can take it up personally with the scientists.

What I wrote is not using children as an excuse to control other people. I just wrote that if in fact the noise is keeping up children at night, then it is affecting their brain growth and will have other ramifications on their health. I am a libertarian for crying out loud. I am all about leaving other people alone and having a limited government. The last thing I want to do is tell other people what to do, but if I were a parent there, living there a long time, pre 2006 when they raised the stage and suddenly my windows were shaking to the point that it woke up my son, I'd probably be up in arms too.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Whether or not children need 10 hours of sleep was not the point. Whether or not children can adapt to the environmental noises around them was the point, and children who live in cities do it all the time and still manage to sleep just fine.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Whether or not children need 10 hours of sleep was not the point. Whether or not children can adapt to the environmental noises around them was the point, and children who live in cities do it all the time and still manage to sleep just fine.

I think the whole point is about boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin