Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,798 times

Advertisements

think the poster who said that two stories are easier to heat and cool has not been in some of the houses around here....many builders do not size or design a two-story plan for adequate HVAC system....hot air rises (law of physics that can't be ignored)....big open foyers with 2nd floor bridges open to family areas mean you are heating and cooling a two story house like it is a one story with 22 ft ceilings---unless you have the right system, people upstairs are never cool and people downstairs can be cold in winter....and energy costs are getting higher all the time....

You are right. I have not been to any of the two story houses in Austin ! But I remember a recent thread about utilities cost for houses in Austin and frankly I was shocked over some of the responses. I mean we currently live in a badly laid out 1400 sq. ft. mobile home ( looks much smaller thanks to the quirky floor plan) and our electric runs about $300- $350 on average. I was really surprised to read what you Texans who live in houses consider expensive for utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 AM

110 posts, read 590,748 times
We decided on a 2 story since that is what we're used to. I like having more grass and the kids upstairs We have 2 AC units and so I have it programmed to be warmer upstairs during the day and a few degrees warmer than downstairs in the evenings. Two stories have always just worked for us.

I do have to say that my dream house is a large 1-story with a daylight basement -- but probably not going to happen here in TX with all the limestone!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,798 times
My dream house is over 2000 square feet with a formal dining room, two story,daylight finished basement, full size attic a living room AND a family room, four bedrooms and at least two bathrooms with at least one fireplace and a good sized fully fenced in yard. Age of home will be of little importance as long as it is in good condition and I personally do not care if the owners have not redecorated since the 1970s, in fact I love going to thrift shops and seeing all the "retro"furniture.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 AM

206 posts, read 1,311,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb315 View Post
I do have to say that my dream house is a large 1-story with a daylight basement -- but probably not going to happen here in TX with all the limestone!
I think Pulte in their Dripping Springs community has basements in their designs. I am not sure what the terrain is.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:57 AM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvaustin View Post
I think Pulte in their Dripping Springs community has basements in their designs. I am not sure what the terrain is.
I may be wrong, but they did have walkout basement options in the Executive series, but based on another thread, that series is sold out, and now they have Premier and Classic only. The Classic series Admire though would be awesome. It is a 3453 sq. ft. one story, with three or four car garage.

If they could do a walk out, that would be about 5000 sq. ft. total, and 4 car garage. We could rent out half the house to another family, unless there would be HOA restrictions against that... just kidding.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:13 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Really ? I have always liked two story homes. I like small cozy houses. I had never thought about some of these points, though. Thanks for another perspective.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin