Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:11 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,014,386 times

Advertisements

Randalls is now a "everything on sale" store ala Wal-Mart.......will we be seeing the omnipresent wal-mart smiley face there now as well?
What competition does this pose to H-E-B?
Probably nil to none.......going 100% discount will not effect HEB's market share one iota....
Though you might find some mighty fine values at Randall's now...

Randalls brings price-cut campaign to Austin area (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/other/2009/10/21/1021randalls.html - broken link)

From the article:

"The Randalls price cuts will be highlighted with banners and with yellow shelf tags that show the old price crossed out and the new price. The company will also continue to offer Randalls Remarkable Card specials.
A box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese that previously cost $1.19 a box is now 69 cents. A package of Lucerne medium cheddar cheese that was $4.99 now costs $3.99. And a 1.75 quart of Dreyer's ice cream has gone from $5.99 to $4.99.
"In every single aisle you'll see a sea of yellow," Schwilke said. "The X marks out the old price, and the new price is right there in bold."

Last edited by inthecut; 10-21-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 PM

589 posts, read 1,805,933 times
It's not as though either Randalls or H.E.B. are high quality anyway. My kingdom for a grocery store that sells a wide variety of individual products, USDA Choice meat, and baggers who INSIST upon loading your groceries into your car. Just a little bitter about the narrow selection of grocery stores in the greater Austin area.

Please don't suggest Whole Foods. They have good food and meat but not a super wide range of each individual product and no car loading either.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
What does this have to do with snob shopping? If randells wants to compete :i wish them luck.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:55 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,014,386 times
Part of the prob is that the stores sell space(or companies buy space), and control entire shelves...
note how Frito-Lay products are all together, ala pepsi, coke, kraft, etc....all the smaller brands are peonage and get shelved at the store's whim, if they do at all......ghetto street hookers get treated with more respect than the small companies trying to get shelf space at HEB, Randall's, WF, and such.........the mega-food ag corp is king........

Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,137,120 times
I shopped at Randalls only one time. Their prices were much higher than HEB and I never went back.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,255,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
It's not as though either Randalls or H.E.B. are high quality anyway. My kingdom for a grocery store that sells a wide variety of individual products, USDA Choice meat, and baggers who INSIST upon loading your groceries into your car. Just a little bitter about the narrow selection of grocery stores in the greater Austin area.

Please don't suggest Whole Foods. They have good food and meat but not a super wide range of each individual product and no car loading either.
CM has curb side loading...and so does WF. They ask me if I want it all the time.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,099,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I shopped at Randalls only one time. Their prices were much higher than HEB and I never went back.
I have not had this same experience. I have found that Randalls is just about the same price as HEB. I tend to visit each for their specials.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,042,227 times
When I lived in California, I avoided Safeway completely for any grocery shopping due to their high prices. I mainly shopped at Albertsons or Food Maxx out there.

Now that I live out here, it's HEB and Wal-mart for my groceries.

I've shopped at Randall's once or twice just to compare, and they ARE pretty high-priced!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM

15,237 posts, read 35,428,196 times
I don't know, if they really are offering discounts, maybe it will improve their business. In my (albeit limited) experience there, the Randalls card brought the prices down from a joke to comparable to HEB. If the item is not on a 'special' then it typically cost somewhat more than HEB.

We shop there occasionally to avoid the crowds .

Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 PM

629 posts, read 1,645,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Part of the prob is that the stores sell space(or companies buy space), and control entire shelves...
note how Frito-Lay products are all together, ala pepsi, coke, kraft, etc....all the smaller brands are peonage and get shelved at the store's whim, if they do at all......ghetto street hookers get treated with more respect than the small companies trying to get shelf space at HEB, Randall's, WF, and such.........the mega-food ag corp is king........
I don't dispute this, but I'm addicted to Sweet Leaf (local company) mint green tea, and over the years I've seen their shelf space in the HEB drink aisle grow substantially.

Now, they've been out of my favorite flavor for the past three times I've gone grocery shopping - which is a huge annoyance since I'm going through withdrawl - but I don't know if that's a HEB purchasing or Sweet Leaf supply problem. All I know is that there's quite a bit of empty shelf space where it's supposed to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin