Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times

Advertisements

I mean no bull "how green is Austin"?.......

Do you see evidence of a overarching green mindset, with hybrids all over the road, smaller cars, organic groceries, public transportation, alternative energy options from utilities, citywide bike paths?

OR, do you see hellish traffic, belching SUV's and trucks, mega "fat folks" groceries like H-E-B's, public transport an afterthought at best, same old energy hogging options, and an abject lack of bike only paved trails city-wide?

So, is Austin just another metro full of energy whores, or are we actually something different,a trend of better, newer, different things to come?

Can we reasonably expect a "Green revolution" in Austin anytime soon?

Last edited by inthecut; 10-29-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
I would say it's a mix of both. With some of the 1st...and A LOT of the 2nd.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
I give props to Austin Energy, they are truly green with ideas, projects, incentives, that have been in place for years (sometimes decades) that other cities and regions are just starting to employ.

Growth by its nature is not green and our region has had lots of growth. And much of that has occurred outside of city limits where the state allows counties very few tools to manage, direct or "green" growth.

In my central austin bubble (walking to the library, pumpkin patch, grocery store and park) I see plenty of solar panels, solar water heaters and green built houses but that's hardly all of Austin.

But I will tell you that green features (insulation, radiant barriers, low-E windows) do not sell houses (even central), buyers still focus on granite counters and sparkling hardwoods.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
Austin Energy was the precursor to USGBC and paved the way for the national sustainable building program:

an Austin's Green Building Timeline

Energy Star Program created by Austin City Council as one of many new energy conservation programs to delay the construction of a new power plant
Green Building Program evolves from Energy Star Program®.
Residential rating tool created
First Sustainable Building Sourcebook written by GB staff
Green Building Program wins award for Local Government Initiatives at the United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro
Austin City Council passes resolution to implement sustainable building into City facilities
Green Building Program becomes charter member of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC); second generation of the residential rating tool introduced Green Building Program partners with Public Works Dept. to develop sustainable building guidelines for municipal projects
Commercial Green Building Program begins
Third generation of the residential rating tool introduced
Green Building Program becomes part of Austin Energy, the City's municipally-owned electric utility; Multi-Family rating tool created;
Green Building Program and Austin Energy sponsor "Our House" television series to promote energy efficiency and green building
Green Building Program Web site launched
Austin City Council passes resolution requiring Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED™) Silver rating for all municipal buildings; Green By Design CD-ROM created as public education tool; Manage It Green consulting services begin with mission to help other cities and utilities create green building programs
City of Austin becomes part of Smart Growth Network; City of Austin adopts International Energy Conservation Code with local amendments; the program begins offering quarterlyGreen By Design workshops for consumers; over 3,000 homes rated since the program's inception
Austin hosts first USGBC National Conference; Program receives Outstanding Green Building Program award from the National Association of Homebuilders; American Consortium for an Energy Efficient Economy recognizes Green Building Program as an "exemplary program"
Green Building Program receives Public Sector Leadership Award from the USGBC; version 7.0 of the residential rating tool released
Of the ten homes on the Austin Chapter of the American Institute of Architects annual home tour, five are Green-rated homes

Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
I'm biased because my spouse and I are LEEP AP's and I'm invested in solar stock. Not to mention, future evidence is found in today's Statesman:
statesman.com

Last edited by jobert; 10-29-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 AM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post

Do you see evidence of a overarching green mindset, with hybrids all over the road, smaller cars, organic groceries, public transportation, alternative energy options from utilities, citywide bike paths?

Not where I live. Out by Slaughter lane you see car, car, truck, truck, car . . . no organic grocery stores really nearby. Newflower is supposed to be a step in that direction but it's not close and quite honestly I was a bit disappointed in the place when I visited. Nobody uses the bus in my neighborhood except for my family and a few teenagers. Of course, the fact that we are practically in New Braunfels and that taking one of CapMet's slow as molasses buses downtwon will cost you 45 minutes of your life, probably has something to do with it. I take walks in the little neighborhoods nearby and don't see any solar panels, etc. Bike paths? Nope. In the park behind our complex maybe, and there are bike lanes on Slaughter, but I'd say a million gazillion prayers before I'd even dare ride a bike on that road. I've also seen roadside crosses nearby so that doesn't encourage me much.

OR, do you see hellish traffic, belching SUV's and trucks, mega "fat folks" groceries like H-E-B's, public transport an afterthought at best, same old energy hogging options, and an abject lack of bike only paved trails city-wide?

Unfortunately, yes.

So, is Austin just another metro full of energy whores, or are we actually something different,a trend of better, newer, different things to come?

My feeling, as is the case with most things Austin proclaims itself to be a "leader" on, it's doing well for Texas. It could probably do a lot better, but I think green living, if it's to be successful at all levels of income and in all neighborhoods, will require a bit of incentivizing and opportunities to educate people as to how such decisions can serve to benefit them personally. Green living isn't about being selfish, but my feeling is that you have to show people what's in it for them before they're willing to make the requisite sacrifices.

Not sure . . . but I know it won't be televised.
Also . . . as an apartment dweller it would be nice if there were more recycling opportunities for us troglodytes. We may not be fabulous homeowners, but we do produce rubbish. We've made efforts to have management strengthen the presence of recycling receptacles in the complex to no avail. Also, quite a few residents aren't really properly educated as to what can and cannot be recycled so the one bin our complex of 30+ units must share ends up loaded with people's extra trash. It stinks. Literally and figuratively.

Anyone think those fabulous red and grey trains will do anything for Austin's "green-ness?"

Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,383 times
Quote:

Trucks and SUVs far outnumber hybrids. Austin, like everywhere else in Texas, is designed around cars. Lots of big-box retailers and large chain grocers (why must it be locally-owned to be "green", though?). I don't know anyone who bikes to work. Public transportation here is a joke. The only one I know who walks to work lives across the street.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Trucks and SUVs far outnumber hybrids. Austin, like everywhere else in Texas, is designed around cars. Lots of big-box retailers and large chain grocers (why must it be locally-owned to be "green", though?). I don't know anyone who bikes to work. Public transportation here is a joke. The only one I know who walks to work lives across the street.

I'm only guessing . . . perhaps because it means less carbon emission resulted in the creation and transport of the product? I have a friend who will only drink Iconoclast wine (from out in Fredericksburg I think . . . it's good stuff, but drinking is bad kids! ahem) as opposed to Argentian, Chilean, or even Californian wine because the idea is that there weren't trucks driven across the way to deliver the stuff. So perhaps by extension of you think of people who only buy local produce and things they're hoping to reduce emissions, discourage purchases of products imported longer distances, and thus reduce one's "carbon footprint." Plus, the hope is that locally-owned stores will have their finger on the community's pulse and do a better job of providing them with products better-suited to their needs. Think BookPeople versus Borders.

That's my guess. (I'm starting to dig these emoticon thingies!)

Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:

Your post is in many ways ridiculous.

What is a belching SUV? A Chevy Tahoe emits no more greenhouse gases than a Mercedes.

Is Whole Foods for skinny people? Does their premium lasagna have less fat than another? We do almost all of our food shopping at HEB and I have a BMI under 25. Is that good enough? I eat bacon sometimes too.

So do you propose taxing us all more so that I can install my own solar panels or private windmill?

I think a "green revolution" is just as unlikely in Austin as it is anywhere else. A steady march on the other hand seems possible and perhaps even probable. It is hard to prove but I think Austin already has more small cars vs. large cars than other cities in Texas.

As a "wired" city Austin has many people that do not drive to work at all. I know many software people that live in Austin and work for California software companies.

You ignored an issue that could be more pressing than anything else - water. San Antonio is already suffering serious pain and Austin may only be a few years behind.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your post is in many ways ridiculous.

What is a belching SUV? A Chevy Tahoe emits no more greenhouse gases than a Mercedes.

Is Whole Foods for skinny people? Does their premium lasagna have less fat than another? We do almost all of our food shopping at HEB and I have a BMI under 25. Is that good enough? I eat bacon sometimes too.

So do you propose taxing us all more so that I can install my own solar panels or private windmill?

I think a "green revolution" is just as unlikely in Austin as it is anywhere else. A steady march on the other hand seems possible and perhaps even probable. It is hard to prove but I think Austin already has more small cars vs. large cars than other cities in Texas.

As a "wired" city Austin has many people that do not drive to work at all. I know many software people that live in Austin and work for California software companies.

You ignored an issue that could be more pressing than anything else - water. San Antonio is already suffering serious pain and Austin may only be a few years behind.
Well said. I too agree that water is the most important resource to consider in Austin.

Inthecut, I'm really not picking on you here, but just what is the deal with your rehashing of subject after subject after subject with the same exaggerated tone of doom and gloom? Surely I'm not the only Austin forum regular here who notices your distinctive pattern of hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin