Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM

117 posts, read 538,035 times

Advertisements

I'm coming back down in a few weeks-this time to officially rent a house and shop/showroom space. From my previous visits I've found some areas that make sense to me but I thought I'd run them by you.
We build custom cabinets for higher end homes. We typically do a lot of whole house cabinet packages-kitchen, master and lesser baths, mudroom, library, etc. Here outside of Chicago our clients are primarily on the lake(Michigan). Our average client is 40-65, makes $175,000 + and holds investments, as well.
We would like to place ourselves in an area that would be accessible for our clients and also for lumber delivery, etc. (main road) Lakeway feels like a good fit, and I think I've found shop space on Hudson Bend, and a house to lease off of 620 just south of there.
Does this seem like a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 06:20 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
Greystone, I think the only problematic issue to consider with Lakeway is commute. Lakeway can be pretty far out and not really centrally located. However, given the nature of your business it doesn't sound like you will be commuting during peak hours every day. But something to consider. I recall you have a son that is school age???? Lake Travis is a good school district so you're in good shape there as well.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 AM

Thanks for responding, Gigi.
You're right, commuting isn't an issue.
We'll rent a house near where we lease a shop.

I just want to be in a place

1.that makes sense for our client type base
2. is appealing for us, as well(Lakeway area is lovely)

Yes, I have a son and 2 daughters school age. I remembered reading that it was a good school district.
So, is that a yes to Lakeway based on my criteria or are there any other areas you would recommend?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Or that 620/360 area in general?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,452 times
I think you are in the right general area given the type of clients you are looking to cater to. You would also want to market into the Westlake area as well, given the demographic there. And don't forget all of the rehabbing going on in the more central parts of austin as well.

Also, a lot of homes in this 620/2222 corridor are older and in desperate need of updating, so I'd think that if you can get a leg in to the area that you would have some good potential business. I'd say anywhere up here in this part of town where you can find a home that suits your business will be a good choice for you. good luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
I think you are in the right general area given the type of clients you are looking to cater to. You would also want to market into the Westlake area as well, given the demographic there. And don't forget all of the rehabbing going on in the more central parts of austin as well.

Also, a lot of homes in this 620/2222 corridor are older and in desperate need of updating, so I'd think that if you can get a leg in to the area that you would have some good potential business. I'd say anywhere up here in this part of town where you can find a home that suits your business will be a good choice for you. good luck!

Gigi makes great points, and with so many from out of state, you may find someone in most areas with enough of a business streak to be a "demonstration" install, and then they do the word of mouth work for you. Lose some, or make less on one job, to make up for it at full retail on others.

On a side note, we almost did a "demonstration" deal for a garage door replacement with a sectional roll-up, but then the company got the association to pay for all the units to be done, with a slight increase in the monthly assessment to pay for all the doors.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks for your all of your thoughts.
I found a house I like just off 620 in Cedar Park,too.
Is that still pretty good?

Isn't the Hill Country Galleria going up somewhere around there?
It seems like I drove by signs for it when I was staking out the area.

Yeah, our busiess here is almost all repeat and word of mouth.
Happy clients love to promote you...

Old 05-11-2007, 03:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Lakeway sounds like a good place for your needs. The traffic is bad if you're commuting to and from Austin, but if you're going to live out there, it wouldn't be too bad. Lakeway would give you good access to the SW and West areas of Austin where more upper end homes will be being built in coming years.

Since your customers would probably only visit you once or twice during the purchase process, the traffic isn't such a factor except for your appointments near the end of the day, which you should allow plenty of time for people to show up late due to traffic.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin