U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 03:17 AM

16,273 posts, read 40,689,418 times

Advertisements

Google maps for Austin, Tx... Google Maps

What time of year is this? Everything looks lush and green!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 25,362,786 times
Springtime, judging by the pics of the bluebonnets.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM

2,102 posts, read 4,306,023 times
I always wondered how Google plans to update it's street view maps. The street views for Austin already look outdated due to all the booming construction we've had in the last few years.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,608,762 times
Aerial photography is usually flown DEC-JAN during the leaf off period so that buildings and roads are less obscured.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:38 AM

16,273 posts, read 40,689,418 times
Is AUSTIN generally so vibrant in greenery like that? Is that only springtime?

I always imagined a more brown or rustic color to things...but you google, it looks abnormally green...

I also viewed ROUND ROCK...which looks like they took photos in the Fall...and much more brown in appearance.

Which is how most of you visualize Austin - more green or more brown?

I grew up in Michigan, and I visualize Michigan as VERY VERY VERY WHITE!! (i.e. snow!)

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-05-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM

362 posts, read 989,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is AUSTIN generally so vibrant in greenery like that? Is that only springtime?

I always imagined a more brown or rustic color to things...but you google, it looks abnormally green...

I also viewed ROUND ROCK...which looks like they took photos in the Fall...and much more brown in appearance.

Which is why most of you see Austin - more green or more brown?

I grew up in Michigan, and I see Michigan as VERY VERY VERY WHITE!! (i.e. snow!)
Austin can be very green if there is enough rain. The biggest problem over the past couple of years has been the drought. I'm also from Michigan, so I'm very used to the lush green in the summers there, Austin doesn't quite give you that, but at no time do I feel like I'm in a dry desert. The trees are smaller here and don't seem to yield to many beautiful colors in the fall (late Nov); but eventually the leaves will fall from the trees and the grass will go dormant through the winter. Everything usually greens back up by March and then the cycle begins again. The Round Rock photos you're seeing are more than likely from Dec - Feb.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 AM

16,791 posts, read 46,387,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Google maps for Austin, Tx... Google Maps

What time of year is this? Everything looks lush and green!
It is winter when I look at my neighborhood, Legend Oaks. In the aerial view all the live oak trees and cedar are still green, but all of the deciduous trees have no leaves.

However, when I zoom all the way down into street view it is summer, the deciduous trees are all leafed out and the esperanza (yellow bells) is in bloom.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,827,270 times
It sure feels like spring on our place out in SW Austin. Flowers blooming everywhere, our creek is full and flowing, and even though it hasn't rained in a week or so the springs in our pasture are all still bubbling and flowing and irrigating the field. it's quite lovely. It had been really dry since I moved here so it's been great to see all the little changes to our land. When I google our address it's brown, dry, and definitely unleafy, too. I think the images are at least a couple years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin