Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 9,550 times

Advertisements

So im moving with 3 guys and we are in the process of looking for a 4 bed 2+ bath place with easy access to downtown (via public transit). Looking to keep rent $1500 or below. Any help or insight on areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Are you looking for a house or an apartment? Are you all working downtown, or attending UT, or something else entirely? (That'll help in pointing you in the right direction.)

Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Be sure to check how many non-related people you can have in one house. Most neighborhoods arent going to allow 4 non-related people to live in one house.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 AM

orbius, I'm assuming you're talking about HOA's and some having specific regulations, right? Otherwise, the neighborhood doesn't have any say, far as I know.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 AM

Cities can set up certain rules for certain parts of the city. I know in some neighborhoods in Bryan, TX that the city didnt allow more than 2 unrelated people to live in a rental house. This was without a HOA. It would be wise to determine if theres anything like that in the neighborhoods you're looking at in Austin. I'm not sure of the specifics here.
I'd be willing to bet a lot of neighborhoods in Austin though have rules like that to stop say 6 rowdy, partying college students from moving into a small house. Clogging the streets with cars and making noise.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM

Well, I'm not aware of any regulating the number of unrelated people in a household, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Seems to me that would be skirting violation of the federal Fair Housing Laws regarding familial status, though.

I know a landlord can limit the number of people living in a house, but not their familial relationship. This usually applies to not saying that one can't have children in the household, but I can see that being used if someone wanted to make a (literally) federal case out of it.

I'd want to see the specific Bryan city statutes to see how they read, myself.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, I'm not aware of any regulating the number of unrelated people in a household, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Seems to me that would be skirting violation of the federal Fair Housing Laws regarding familial status, though.

I know a landlord can limit the number of people living in a house, but not their familial relationship. This usually applies to not saying that one can't have children in the household, but I can see that being used if someone wanted to make a (literally) federal case out of it.

I'd want to see the specific Bryan city statutes to see how they read, myself.
Unfortunately, if I remember my property law correctly (it's been a few years) orbius is correct. Cities can make laws regulating how many non related adults can live in a home.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 AM

I'll have to check that, see if I can find any statutes. Not that I don't believe you, just given the restrictions on what a landlord can do vis a vis specifying how many related people can live in a house (they have to specify the number of people, NOT the relationship, to avoid running afoul of fair housing laws regarding familial status), it just sounds odd. This is the kind of thing we have pounded into our heads in our property management classes, but, of course, those pertain to what the landlord can and cannot do. I suppose its an assumption to think that the same fair housing restrictions would apply to a city.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM

By Jove, you're right! The City of Austin does have a regulation that no more than 6 unrelated people can live in a residence, and there is a minimum square footage requirement per occupant, as well.

Now I need to find the actual statute and the history of it and how they get around the fair housing laws.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Since a new zoning designation was created in April, almost 30 Bryan neighborhoods have petitioned for the residential neighborhood conservation zoning, also known as "RNC," which says no more than two unrelated residents can share a single-family home.
Here it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: