Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm in need of a surveyor (in Austin) for a typical residential survey, like the kind you'd get when purchasing a house or getting a refinance. The few that are reviewed on Angie's List all have terrible grades (D or worse), and the one my Realtor recommended hasn't returned my calls. Is it really that busy right now?

So if anyone has a reco they'd like to share, would you mind DMing me the info? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Well, with the big rush to get houses closed by the deadline for the First Time Home Buyer's Tax Credit, yeah, it's pretty busy right now, but the surveyor should at least have returned your call.

Is this for a purchase? If so, you might ask the title company what surveyor they use - in fact, if it's for a residential purchase and the survey is included in the contract (it is in the standard residential contract promulgated by TREC and should be addressed in any contract), the title company is usually the one who orders the survey and they tend to use good ones, as they're the one who is likely to have to pay out if there's a problem with it down the line.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Even if it's not for a purchase or refinance, still contact a title company as they're the ones who hold the names of the "good" survey people.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Thanks. No, it's not for a purchase. It's for a fence and possible refinance, the existing survey I have from the purchase is very old. Thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations via DM. I didn't realize it was so busy. Didn't they extend the credit?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Not yet. The Senate has just voted to extend it, but it still has to go through the House and be signed into law by the President. (The House may vote on it today.)

Some think it's a sure thing, and they may be correct, but I didn't get to my advanced age without learning (the hard way) not to say it's a done deal until it is, indeed, a done deal.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM

98 posts, read 526,940 times
Atxcio....the truth is there is no easy survey. There are rules and regulations set forth by the courts and states that govern surveying. If a surveyor doesn't follow these rules he faces fines and possibly loss of their license. So if you called asking for a basic and easy survey of your boundary...they probably think you want the job done for a $100 when in truth it may cost a lot more. I know this is generalization on the surveyors part, but it is a common occurrence. With it being common many surveyors will not call back because they feel that it might be a waste of their time.

I would call the surveyors and say you want a boundary survey of your property for a future fence. You will get a better response. As far as "a good" surveyor...like I said above. The profession is very regulated and all surveyors should be working on a common ground. That said, if you get three quotes for $1000 and a fourth for $150...... sometimes cheaper isn't better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin