Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well plenty of people choose to live in Round Rock when they could live in Austin. Some people like the endless strip malls, the theme restaurants, and the outlet shopping with a large house in a cookie cutter neighborhood. Each to their own!
Dont forget a lot of people are moving from terrible, polluted, crumbling, industrial cities. In that light Round Rock(and Cedar Park) look like some kind of shining jewel. We're kind of spoiled around here in that regards.
This is the same psychological factor that draws a renter who has been living in a duplex or 4plex in Austin out to a starter neighborhood for their first home. Let's face it, there is a stark contrast to the aesthetics and amenities of a run down duplex street near Braker and Rundburg and what one would be going to in a cheap low $100Ks start home in a sprawl area. I don't recommend buying in the outer doughnut rings in emerging neighborhoods (due to appreciation uncertaintly) but it's not hard to see the draw if you look at the step up that such a move represents for many first time buyers.

Same is true for the relocatees. You have to remember that the "Pflugerville" or "Leander" of some places in CA are 70 miles outside the core areas, and they still cost $300K-$500K even way out. If you're a legal assistant making $40K a year, or a nurse, or whatever, you look at a place like Austin and find not only lifestyle and aesthetic appeal but also very, very affordable housing with great schools.

I'm confused as to why anyone would be confused about the draw this represents.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 AM

49 posts, read 111,419 times
Default Why I moved here

I moved here 3 months ago from Rochester,NY. I am a single mom of a 14 year old, I am 41. We did visit three years ago and liked it here. I have always wanted to move somewhere warmer because I can't stand the cold any more.
I was a Bus driver for 10 years in NY and had the same position pretty much lined up before we came here to Round Rock. All my family and Friends are in NY but that didnt hold me there. I was scared to move to a state where I know no one but I needed a change so we packed up the car and drove here.
Since I have been here I have found most people to be nice, its more laid back here but not as country as i tought it would be. it is NOT cheaper to live here at all and I have not found much to do here but I still like it. My job has better pay and health insurance which I didnt have before.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:31 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
I'm just saying a lot of people in other parts of the country live in a run down suburb with aging malls and crime. A clean, and new development like those in Round Rock looks nice to them.
People in the area are often downright hostile to places like Round Rock *cough*. But thats only because they personally dont like it and live in Austin.
Many people like Round Rock.
It certainly isn't hell, but, if you are looking for a place with roots, long standing vegetation, character, and such, the ready-made sprawlville is not the place....unfortunately,the developers have given us THEIR idea of what a neighborhood should be. The problem is, they are providing it and paying for it, so they will cut as many costs as possible and externalize them........you want parks? sorry.....Sidewalks? sorry, look for an older city neighborhood if you want that.....local businesses and corner stores?
Sorry, we don't build neighborhoods like that anymore....public places?
sorry, nothing is held in common anymore.....

No public commons....sorry......

Old 11-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
This is the same psychological factor that draws a renter who has been living in a duplex or 4plex in Austin out to a starter neighborhood for their first home. Let's face it, there is a stark contrast to the aesthetics and amenities of a run down duplex street near Braker and Rundburg and what one would be going to in a cheap low $100Ks start home in a sprawl area. I don't recommend buying in the outer doughnut rings in emerging neighborhoods (due to appreciation uncertaintly) but it's not hard to see the draw if you look at the step up that such a move represents for many first time buyers.

Same is true for the relocatees. You have to remember that the "Pflugerville" or "Leander" of some places in CA are 70 miles outside the core areas, and they still cost $300K-$500K even way out. If you're a legal assistant making $40K a year, or a nurse, or whatever, you look at a place like Austin and find not only lifestyle and aesthetic appeal but also very, very affordable housing with great schools.

I'm confused as to why anyone would be confused about the draw this represents.

Steve
The housing in much of the newer areas is very poor as well.....planned obsolescence, same as cars in the 70's......as soon as things start falling apart, sell it and buy another new one....every thing that can be built cheaper and faster is built cheaper and faster.....and that is why housing built in the 80's and even early 90's seems so dated.....

fact is, in most every case, new construction is done on the cheap, along with the subdivision itself, while the builders bolt......but our bar of aesthetics is so low that people are mostly good with that......along with the ugly big-boxes they have to drive past every day.....

And this is in most metros in the US, not just Austin...and, ironically, the same big-boxes are there in every city....you can go from Tempe to Austin to the Atlanta burbs and never know the difference......

Lack of a sense of strong place and groundedness defines our culture across the entire nation, especially the sunbelt, where much of the growth is/has taken place.....

Sprawl is the greatest waste of all resources in the USA, from SUV's, oversized lots and houses, nondescript retail, and on and on.....but as long as money can be loaned for the same, and developers are solvent, and energy does not spike up 10-fold, it will probably continue....

Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 PM

22 posts, read 42,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Another perfect testimonial. You can find a beautiful 2000+ sqft home in Austin with great schools and really nice, friendly neighbors for $1 to $1.30 per sqft (or about $200K to $260K in a neighborhood such as Villages of Western Oaks in SW Austin). Even cheaper if you get up into Leander, Round Rock, Cedar Park. I grew up in San Diego, and it is beautiful, but over priced.

Texas gets it right. We don't try to be everybody's Daddy, and tax the heck out of our businesses and employees. Yes we score low in many public services, but so what? California scores real high in government aid and assistance and look what the end result is?

Come on in. The water's great. And it's a perfect time to invest in a home with 4.87% interest plus the $8K tax rebate.

Steve
Thanks, Steve! Texas does get it right and I hope we can make it our new home by next summer.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:16 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
The housing in much of the newer areas is very poor as well.....planned obsolescence, same as cars in the 70's......as soon as things start falling apart, sell it and buy another new one....every thing that can be built cheaper and faster is built cheaper and faster.....and that is why housing built in the 80's and even early 90's seems so dated.....

fact is, in most every case, new construction is done on the cheap, along with the subdivision itself, while the builders bolt......but our bar of aesthetics is so low that people are mostly good with that......along with the ugly big-boxes they have to drive past every day.....

And this is in most metros in the US, not just Austin...and, ironically, the same big-boxes are there in every city....you can go from Tempe to Austin to the Atlanta burbs and never know the difference......

Lack of a sense of strong place and groundedness defines our culture across the entire nation, especially the sunbelt, where much of the growth is/has taken place.....

Sprawl is the greatest waste of all resources in the USA, from SUV's, oversized lots and houses, nondescript retail, and on and on.....but as long as money can be loaned for the same, and developers are solvent, and energy does not spike up 10-fold, it will probably continue....
I don't give two beeps about the sprawl argument. I like my "non-descript" home, and all of my big box conveniences. Yes, I came from an urban environment, but it sure as hell wasn't an "urban blight inner city" as you described. Maybe it's because I came from a large city where most people live in apartments and pay exorbitant amounts for everything that drew me to so-called sprawlville, but whatever. So what.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't give two beeps about the sprawl argument. I like my "non-descript" home, and all of my big box conveniences. Yes, I came from an urban environment, but it sure as hell wasn't an "urban blight inner city" as you described. Maybe it's because I came from a large city where most people live in apartments and pay exorbitant amounts for everything that drew me to so-called sprawlville, but whatever. So what.
Actually, as I said, it isn't exactly hell living in today's exurban sprawl.....if you have a car(public trans doesn't exist in sprawlville), you can get wherever you want, as long as you don't mind fighting traffic and dealing with road rage everyday(flipping off drivers can get habit forming after all)...

...if you like familiarity, you can find many national franchises that you are familiar with(Target's, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Best Buy, ad infinitum). No worries about shopping at any strange locally owned places you might not feel comfortable with. And all the products are made in China, and/or served to you via smiling people making substandard wages......

...if you don't like sidewalks, no worries, as they don't exist in Sprawlville. Just use the water retention ponds in between subdivisions like a de facto railroad track, and you can get just about anywhere you want to go.......no place safe for kids to bike to like when YOU were a kid per the heavy traffic, and lack of public space(commons)? No worry, gas up the SUV and drive the kids everywhere they need to go, and consider yourself an volunteer, unpaid chauffeur...

..don't know any of the neighbors you've been living next to for 5 years? No worries, fire up the internet and chat on CD with a bunch of people you'll never meet OR see as well.........

....don't live living with black or brown people of color? Good news, they all live east of I-35, so no worries sending your kids to school with them, living next to them, or, worst of all, letting them bring down your property values. Sprawlville in every american metro is 80-100% anglo, so the transition from the sprawl from whence you came to Austin's sprawl should be a very smooth transition.....

I'm being facetious, but obviously there is much lacking in what INDEED is nondescript, anonymous exurban and suburban sprawl......and that's because we have no say whatsoever in how our communities are built, and allow planning boards/city councils to get squashed under the thumbs of regional and local developers......

The God's truth, but who wants to admit it?

Last edited by inthecut; 11-08-2009 at 01:32 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Actually, as I said, it isn't exactly hell living in today's exurban sprawl.....if you have a car(public trans doesn't exist in sprawlville), you can get wherever you want, as long as you don't mind fighting traffic and dealing with road rage everyday(flipping off drivers can get habit forming after all)...

...if you like familiarity, you can find many national franchises that you are familiar with(Target's, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Best Buy, ad infinitum). No worries about shopping at any strange locally owned places you might not feel comfortable with. And all the products are made in China, and/or served to you via smiling people making substandard wages......

...if you don't like sidewalks, no worries, as they don't exist in Sprawlville. Just use the water retention ponds in between subdivisions like a de facto railroad track, and you can get just about anywhere you want to go.......no place safe for kids to bike to like when YOU were a kid per the heavy traffic, and lack of public space(commons)? No worry, gas up the SUV and drive the kids everywhere they need to go, and consider yourself an volunteer, unpaid chauffeur...

..don't know any of the neighbors you've been living next to for 5 years? No worries, fire up the internet and chat on CD with a bunch of people you'll never meet OR see as well.........

....don't live living with black or brown people of color? Good news, they all live east of I-35, so no worries sending your kids to school with them, living next to them, or, worst of all, letting them bring down your property values. Sprawlville in every american metro is 80-100% anglo, so the transition from the sprawl from whence you came to Austin's sprawl should be a very smooth transition.....

I'm being facetious, but obviously there is much lacking in what INDEED is nondescript, anonymous exurban and suburban sprawl......and that's because we have no say whatsoever in how our communities are built, and allow planning boards/city councils to get squashed under the thumbs of regional and local developers......

Have you been out to the sprawl lately? Most new neighborhoods are putting in sidewalks. I know all my neighbors and shocker, some of them are "black or brown people of color."

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Whoa ITC, you need to get out more. Hutto not only has sidewalks but they are putting in MORE sidewalks, (which is needed). The plan is to connect all of the schools with sidewalks. How cool is that? As far as I can tell the city DOES involve people in decisions regarding the future planning. Regarding the "commons area" you speak of we are getting a YMCA. In my opinion this is AWESOME! It's a place for all ages to meet. I can't wait!

You say the outskirts don't have sidewalks?? From where we live I can maneuver around to find the trail that leads to downtown Hutto, (and they are adding to that trail as well). Although I admit since they moved the post office it is more of a challenge, (but doable). I do NOT like crossing 1660.

We didn't want to live in a commune so Hutto suits us fine. The schools are good. I have found the teachers to be accessible as well as staff, (my personal feeling is the teachers do care about the children). They know where the children are, what they're doing and how they are doing. I love how the schools here have accountability!

The people that live in the subdivision where we purchased, (I really didn't want to live in a subdivision) are friendly. I'm not really the "let's have coffee and talk about everyone else" kind of neighbor so a wave and hello, or "isn't this weather fantastic" suit us fine. I have grown to like it here. Could there be a homicidal maniac hiding somewhere in one of these homes? I suppose so but that is wherever you go eh?

If I were Jesse Jackson I'd say this was a "rainbow" neighborhood. People from all walks of life. Actually, the only negative encounters I've had are with people that claim they have "lived here their whole life". In this neighborhood I see many young families with children out doing what families and children do, (playing, walking their dogs, pushing babies in strollers). I would have to say this is a nice neighborhood. That could change I suppose but that is where we're at now.

Now, if only they would put in a nice, big grocery store I wouldn't have to leave Hutto much at all.

I'm sure you're "central" neighborhoods were young once. Don't worry, our trees will grow and we'll have that long-standing vegetation some day.

Regarding your original question, (yes, I have veered off). You say "grounded and established". I would challenge you to support what those terms actually mean. I suppose if we went back in time I would understand what you mean in regards to farmers for instance, (or hunters and gatherers). The family farm would be handed down from generation to generation. Also, with a state that has strong manufacturing. People were established and grounded as generation after generation were able to get a good job to support a family.

My question to you is, "what social structure is in place that supports the family staying in one area generation after generation so they can become established in an area?"

And of course I'm aware that old money can purchase an entire state where a family becomes "established and grounded". But obviously I'm not addressing that social strata.

And really, how "established and grounded" can any of us be? Life is fragile, can end in a blink of an eye. I don't want to take it for granted. We have today, this moment. Life is good but can change in an instant. And to be ever so cliche: my head is in the clouds but my feet are firmly planted on the ground. We all seem to be happy here. I do believe moving CAN change things for the better.

Also, I haven't noticed much road rage here in Hutto. Where I do notice it is when I get closer to the city.

Personally, I don't know why you are driven to pursue the line of questioning you do. What are you looking for?

And lastly, I tire of your endless insults regarding being on a forum and talking to people we may never meet. I'm perplexed as to how you can do that while spending so much time here talking to us "strangers". It must be a real conflict.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:

From where I am, the only time I have to fight traffic to get anywhere is if I go into Austin. I30 doesn't have too much traffic on it, and we don't get much road rage here in Hutto. I can walk to the post office, restaurants, library, dry cleaners, shops, florist, parks and even though I voted for the YMCA and am not really thrilled to hear it will be put across the street from me, I'll be able to walk to that too.

Almost everything is made in China, even the stuff you buy in shops on South Congress. Sure we have some chains here in sprawlville (Hutto) but we have local run businesses as well. I can go to the Texan Cafe and have fresh, homemade food (ranked as one of Texas' best small town cafes using fresh ingredients, not shipped in stuff), Rio Grande, florist, dry cleaner, yogurt shop, etc....

Actually, I think Hutto is doing a great job with its trail system. It's not huge by any means, but I can get on it and go under 79 to get to other areas of town. Like flowerpots says, pretty soon all the schools will be interconnected so kids don't have to walk near traffic. We're also about to get lots more sidewalks.

I know tons of people all over my neighborhood. How many do you know in yours? Or down your street/around the block. Nondescript? Georgetown has a thriving town square, Hutto has half of their original one and is going to re-expand it. Burnet, Taylor, Bastrop....all have their original town squares. Sure, Taylor as one example, could use some spit and polish and someday I'm sure it will....they have a project in place now to address it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin