Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,789 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering a move to the Austin area in the Spring and would be working in Kyle at their new hospital. I'm a single physician in my early 30's and would definitely like access to the many cool things in Austin, such as restaurants, live music, outdoor activities, nightlife, and of course the young professional scene.

Am I correct in assuming that living in Kyle would not be a good option?

If not, then what areas of the Austin area are recommended for me? I don't mind a commute, but within reason (~20-40 mins?). Also, I'd definitely appreciate any and all advice from the board.

Thanks,

SugarAug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 PM

544 posts, read 1,667,352 times
go south side in austin -- you'd probably commute against traffic and the southside's kewl especially for young uns like 30 somethings

Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
I agree with south Austin like William Cannon and Escarpment area. Shady Hollow might be too family oriented, but it's a nice, reasonably priced area with homes that have character.

You could always get into an older home and do the Zilker Park area... As always, price range will dictate most of where you can look.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
Either buy a home or build a mansion halfway between Buda and Austin. All kinds of cool property out in the country between Buda and Austin.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM

67 posts, read 193,001 times
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT live in Kyle. Unless you've got 3 kids, a mini van, and fit certain other demographic criteria which I won't describe, you'd hate it there.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,945 times
One of the big trends in Austin are the high rise condos in downtown. If I was single and wanted to experience Austin, I'd definitely look into downtown living. The commute from downtown going south would be against traffic so you'd be looking at 15 to 20 minutes travel time. If you are more interested in a home, there are lots of nice neighborhoods in South Austin. You can find remolded homes built 30+ years ago, to new homes built within the last 10 years. There are many options, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAug View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering a move to the Austin area in the Spring and would be working in Kyle at their new hospital. I'm a single physician in my early 30's and would definitely like access to the many cool things in Austin, such as restaurants, live music, outdoor activities, nightlife, and of course the young professional scene.

Am I correct in assuming that living in Kyle would not be a good option?

If not, then what areas of the Austin area are recommended for me? I don't mind a commute, but within reason (~20-40 mins?). Also, I'd definitely appreciate any and all advice from the board.

Thanks,

SugarAug
Given that Google Maps says the commute from the CBD to Kyle is 22.4 mi – about 27 mins... living in a condo downtown would not meet your 20 minute criteria. But I think the positives of doing so would overcome the downside if you think about it.

Otherwise, if you want a more suburban residential experience there are many nice neighborhoods in South Austin that would give you greater access to the night life in the CBD without too long of a commute to Kyle.

You could easily commute to Kyle and have excellent access to the
CBD while living in the Circle C or Legend Oaks area of Southwest Austin, which also gives you great access to the hill country lakes and recreational areas.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,945 times
The speed limit for a good chunk of the commute from Downtown Austin to Kyle is 70 mph. But you are probably right that it might take a little longer than 20 minutes. Back when I was a student at Southwest Texas State (now Texas State) in San Marcos, I used to commute from my boyfriends (now husband) apartment in West Campus near UT to the SWT campus everyday. I could have sworn that drive took 20 to 25 minutes but I was also a dumb college kid with a heavy foot so I'm sure I wasn't always going the speed limit. Traffic was alot lighter back then also. For the original poster SugarAug, check out the Austonian. Quite pricey, but this gives you an idea of the downtown living that Austin is trending towards. I read recently that the downtown condos hope to have 25,000 residents within the next 5 years.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times
I would take a look at the Onion Creek neighborhood. It's rather wealthy (VP's from our office live there) and has a highly acclaimed golf course: Onion Creek Club (http://www.onioncreekclub.com/page/44-1223.htm - broken link)
It's 10 miles south of downtown Austin off of 35, and would be a 10 minute commute to Kyle.
condos start at 200K and homes range up to 700K. It's located just east of 35 - across from SouthPark Meadows.

Last edited by jobert; 11-09-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
I agree with South Austin, but I also think, depending on your sensibilities and how you like to spend your off time, you should seriously consider getting into dt or central Austin. An East Austin condo or apt would provide you an easy commute south to Kyle and back. And you be encountering your own demographic outside your doorstep.

That said, I've seen a lot of late 20s early 30s single professionals buy homes in family neighborhoods as an investment, and they don't mind living there at all and are still able to enjoy a fun lifestyle with others their age by joining soccer leagues, biking, etc. Some take in roommates and nearly have the mortgage covered at $500/room for a couple of rooms.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin