Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,028 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are looking at moving to Austin early next year after he has been offered a job over there.
We are coming over 14th November to visit for two weeks to get a feel for the place, is there anything we should know and definitely not miss to ensure we get the best view of everything?

Are there any great hints that you may have for us moving to Texas as this will be so different to our lived in London.
By the way we are both 26.

Thank you for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
There's a British pub downtown called the Dog & Duck (on Guadalupe) that often has a few Brit transplants hanging out there. I'd suggest popping in while here to see if you can gain some perspective from a fellow Brit who has already made the leap across the pond.

I know you'll get lots of advice from lots of people, so I'll just offer a welcome and a hope that you enjoy yourself.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 9,028 times
Thank you, if you could let me know where we can find it, it would be great to talk to other brits that have done the relocation. If you could advise any good neighbourhoods to live too, my husband's job will be 5001 Plaza on the Lake Blvd. i still need to look for one! it would be great to see some places when we are over there.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Here's the website for the Dog & Duck:

Dog and Duck Pub

As far as what neighborhoods you might enjoy, there are just way too many variables, so I'll leave that answer for one or more of the handful of real estate agents who also post at this board - they have tons of info and are quite friendly with assisting newcomers.

The weather should be crisp and sunny with the potential for rain while you are here. Another great website to help you with finding activites and such is www.austin360.com. There are so many things to do here that you'll have no shortage of fun.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
I helped some buyers from London purchase a home to live in and one as investment. It was interesting hearing the different semantical terms used to describe parts of a home. i.e. what we call a "yard" you might call a "garden". You'll have a lot of fun learning the different things about Texas and meeting people. You'll fit right in and be welcomed.

Steve

Steve

Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
I think you will find yourself welcomed and people will be friendly to you everywhere you go.

Places to live? There are many choices. I think you might tell us more what you would like. What is your budget? And finally will you have a car?

I might suggest that while you are here you get a good look at the downtown area itself - which will be much different than London. Be sure to take a car and see the Texas Hill Country. Although the food is not very good I suggest you have a drink at the Oasis overlooking Lake Travis late in the afternoon. After a drink there, eat a rather expensive meal at Hudson's on the Bend nearby - outstanding southwestern cooking featuring meats and game (venison, quail, etc.).

BTW - it is clear beautiful skies today with temperature about 78 degs F.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:33 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,395 times
Stretch the budget and live on the lake(Travis or Austin) thats my advice. The summers in Texas are extremely hot. A kind of heat that Europeans simply arent used to. Living on the lake makes it a lot more tolerable. Also real estate on the lake is a good investment long term.

Last edited by orbius; 11-06-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 PM

101 posts, read 383,640 times
Hello!

I was one of the buyers that Austin Steve mentioned in his post. I and my small family moved to Austin from London in 2007.

It is difficult to know how to advise you without knowing a little more about you and what you look for in somewhere to live. I can certainly tell you that I adore Austin and whilst there is much I miss about London I would rather be living here. Once you have ascertained that the people you meet who seem sort of kind and friendly, are, in fact, actually kind and friendly (with a healthy dash of reservedness), you will begin to see the Austin thing. Its very much about people rather than "attractions".

I would guess that you already have accommodation booked for your trip, if not, I would highly recommend finding a vacation rental (try VRBO.com), as renting a house for two weeks will give you a better idea of what it is like to live here, rather than hiding in a hotel.

You will, I am sure, have an idea of the must see places from guide books. My first tip is Barton Springs (a bit nippy for a swim right now but it really is a unique and special place). If you are vaguely into exercise make sure to take a walk or run on the trail around Lady Bird Lake at various times of the day. Those places for me sum up what I love about Austin. Doesn't seem much when I write; a pool and a hike and bike trail, but both places are very special to me.

In general, when you are here , try and visit the locally owned shops and restaurants as opposed to chains. You know what Starbucks is like, so try the Spiderhouse, or Bouldin Creek Coffee house. Once you've been in Book People for three hours you'll wonder how Borders got to be so successful. There are a plethora of independent places so seek them out. A difference with London is that you might find yourself hopping between these places by car rather than on foot, things are spread out here and it really isn't very walkable in the summer (that'll be April until October).

I would fairly say that you are the ideal age to live in Austin. It is a young town. I think there are reasonable comparisons to be drawn between Austin and Brighton (without the sea of course). I always found Brighton an easy and safe place to be, full of quirky things and interesting people that weren't lost in the pace and size of London.

There are many great neighborhoods that would be good for your hubby's work place, so it would come down to what you are looking for and your budget of course.

Feel free to send me a Direct Message if I can be of further assistance.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:10 PM

55 posts, read 174,203 times
Default WE are also headed over from London

Hello, we are also heading to Austin in 2010...we have finally sold our house and will go at some point in March. We have some family and friends in Austin (including South Side Chap who we met up with on this forum just before they went over to Austin) so we hope that will help with our transition

I've done lost of research so fell free to direct message me if you think I can help...

Ali

Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Nice to see how helpful people can be. My daughter has a pal who moved here from the U.K. and quickly fell into a great life pattern and even met & married himself a Texas girl since moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin