Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 AM

18 posts, read 61,448 times

Advertisements

I've heard this statement several times (from several different people) when asking about places to consider buying a home in RR. While I've received several suggestions, I've repeatedly heard that "You really just can't go wrong anywhere in RR." How true would you consider this statement to be?

Secondly, where would YOU recommend in RR to consider looking?

Schools: Prefer Round Rock HS, but would be fine with McNeil. Not at all interested in a Stony Point-zoned school.

Location: Close distance to IBM. Prefer not to take I-35 in, and would prefer 10-12 miles distance at most.

Other: We have two children, currently ages 5 and 13. The housing areas that have community centers and pools, tennis courts, etc., nearby look really interesting (i.e. Cat Hollow).

Housing Specs: 4+ bedrooms, 2900+ square feet, price range not to exceed about $310,000.

Any thoughts from the natives? Any specific housing editions you'd recommend? I *think* I prefer the West side of RR only because of its distance to IBM. Any places you'd recommend staying away from?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Hey there, Mr. Neddy is IBMer and there are tons over in Avery Ranch,Well Branch and Fern Bluff area of RR. We chose Leander ISD so not sure of the prices over there just know we drive over there when the coworkers have a function of something.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
I've heard this statement several times (from several different people) when asking about places to consider buying a home in RR. While I've received several suggestions, I've repeatedly heard that "You really just can't go wrong anywhere in RR." How true would you consider this statement to be?
I think the "several different people" are ill informed (or worse if they're realtors/builder reps). You obviously suspect this as well since you omit SPHS area from your search.

IBM is near Braker & Mopac, correct? If so, I'm not sure why RR would be the only search area.....as the previous poster mentioned, areas that feed into LISD (& other parts of RRISD) might also be a good fit.

I'd be looking from 2222 all the way to I 35. Outside of Loop 360 & south of 1431. High Schools would include Vandergriff, Vista Ridge, CP, Westwood.....along with RR & McNiel.

Who are these "people" who say all of RR is a "can't go wrong" purchase?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Oh please! What is wrong with Stony Point? Have friends whose son just switched to Stony Point from a private high school and he loves it. They even have an IB program. Plus, that side of town is getting a new high school next year.

There a lot of areas east and west in RR that probably won't see much appreciation but that is due to constant new construction. And some stuff built 15 years ago is starting to look shabby due to construction techniques . . .

Get a good realtor.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 AM

To answer the question about "Why RR?", Round Rock High School has something specific I'm looking for that is not available at any of the other high schools in the area, including the Leander School District. I like the idea of Cedar Park, but - again - RRHS has a program that we're specifically looking for. I'm told by the administration that a transfer from within the district would be no problem. Without this program, my first choice would be McNeil, followed by Vista Ridge (?) and then Round Rock High School.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I think the "several different people" are ill informed (or worse if they're realtors/builder reps). You obviously suspect this as well since you omit SPHS area from your search.

IBM is near Braker & Mopac, correct? If so, I'm not sure why RR would be the only search area.....as the previous poster mentioned, areas that feed into LISD (& other parts of RRISD) might also be a good fit.

I'd be looking from 2222 all the way to I 35. Outside of Loop 360 & south of 1431. High Schools would include Vandergriff, Vista Ridge, CP, Westwood.....along with RR & McNiel.

Who are these "people" who say all of RR is a "can't go wrong" purchase?
Real estate agents....and you can't blame them...it's a living....I sold full time for 10 years and said the same things about the areas I sold...is it true? Well, I think they are infering that the home values will continue to go up, and with the insanity in real estate last few years, i can vouchsafe NO ONE can predict where values will go next 5-10 years...

If they are infering that RR is a great area to live, surely it's a very upscale place, has a AAA minor league team, great schools, and shopping, but you can go wrong if you need to commute down I-35(backup up very often per being the main N-S I-state in Texas, and having a large number of NAFTA traffic going back and forth to/from Mexico), and if you are single, looking for a eclectic environment, clubs/music, and a great place to meet other singles.....RR is very much a family-orientated community,
which got its main push as such from the executives and middle managers working for Dell, and grew around the same.....not terribly long ago, in the 70's, it was just a little podunk burg on the outskirts of Austin.....

Answer, one size doesn't fit all, unless you are talking about T-shirts....

Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
I wouldn't say all areas of Round Rock are "can't miss". But in general, most of the Round Rock neighborhoods are safe and friendly. I live on the East side of I35 in Round Rock and my kids will eventually go to the new High School on Gattis School road. It remains to be seen what type of High School this will turn out to be as there are neighborhoods from many demographics that will feed into this school. When this new High School opens next year, the current High School boundaries will shift. As for the current Round Rock High School area, you might want to look at Brushy Creek North, Behrens Ranch, and Walsh Ranch. Cat Hollow feeds into McNiel.

And with the addition of the toll roads, it is a quick drive to north Austin. You are talking about the IBM buildings on Burnet correct? My husband works in the Arboretum area and it takes 15 - 20 minutes door to door.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:29 PM

I *think* I'm referring t the IBM buildings on Burnet. I notice that there is more than one IBM location in Austin, but I think someone told me that's the "right" one.

When will they complete the boundary line changes? That would really not be fun to buy a new house thinking it was in school zone A, only to find that it was in school zone B or C.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Yes, well, just so you know. A school district can change the boundaries of its attendance zones from year to year. Not to say that it happens annually. But the district has that right and in fast-growing areas like RR, it does happen.

So just because you bought a home zoned to attend one certain school before a baby is born, that doesn't mean that 16 years later the boundaries will be the same.

In fact, if a school is a priority for you, always double-check the attendance zone with the school district prior to closing!! Do not trust the realtor or owner. Check with the district (one phone call or visit the web site) But the information is guaranteed only for one year.

good luck!

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathieArms View Post
To answer the question about "Why RR?", Round Rock High School has something specific I'm looking for that is not available at any of the other high schools in the area, including the Leander School District. I like the idea of Cedar Park, but - again - RRHS has a program that we're specifically looking for. I'm told by the administration that a transfer from within the district would be no problem. Without this program, my first choice would be McNeil, followed by Vista Ridge (?) and then Round Rock High School.
Have you looked at the neighborhood where RR High is located ?
It's a beautiful older neighborhood with nice big lots, mature trees and some pocket parks.

The subdivision is called "Round Rock West". The subdivision next to it is "Cimarron", also nice and older but I think the lots are smaller.

A lot depends also on whether you want "new" or "old" in your preferences.

Here's a link to a PDF that is a map of Round Rock subdivisions - doesn't have a date on it so I don't know how current it is but it should help some.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...dAtKvuBmFpYCGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin